Culling the collection to the very core

Do talk back
User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 30485
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Culling the collection to the very core

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Feb 2024, 04:10

I have lost count of how many culling rounds I have had, but I am now at the point where I am axing some heavy hitters:

Blur - "13"
Pearl Jam - "Ten"
Ry Cooder - "Get Rhythm"
Alpha Blondy - "Masada"

I don't know why I hung on to the Pearl Jam for so long. It is of course critically rated, but let's face it, Pearl Jam are no Nirvana. So now I have gotten rid of all my Seattle grunge except for Nirvana.

Ry Cooder is normally quite good, but "Get Rhythm", well, he completely misunderstands Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two.

Blur - no, they were not better than Oasis. They had two winners, but by the time of the prophetically titled "13", they had lost the plot. So it goes for so many promising upstarts.

Of course, culling to the core means more concentrated listening and therefore it is more time consuming. Last month I sold 200 CDs, I don't see myself keeping up that rate now.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Hugh
Posts: 16224
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Culling the collection to the very core

Postby Hugh » 04 Feb 2024, 14:07

I imagine there are 20,000 CDs in your collection I’d get rid of before Get Rhythm. :D

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 12711
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Culling the collection to the very core

Postby robertff » 04 Feb 2024, 14:35

You’re wrong about Blur.

Also they might not have sold as many records as Oasis but they were/are far more inventive and interesting with their music.

After Be Here Now or, more likely What’s The Story, they were trading on former glories, an enormous fanbase kept them going, not the music.

.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 2447
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Culling the collection to the very core

Postby mudshark » 04 Feb 2024, 15:22

I'd keep Get Rhythm, if only just for Cooder's rendition of "Thirteen Question Method". One of the best 'slide' performances ever recorded, in my opinion.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 30485
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Culling the collection to the very core

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Feb 2024, 16:03

mudshark wrote:I'd keep Get Rhythm, if only just for Cooder's rendition of "Thirteen Question Method". One of the best 'slide' performances ever recorded, in my opinion.


That may very well be, but have you heard Chuck Berry's original? It is completely different, and in my opinion way superior.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 30485
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Culling the collection to the very core

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Feb 2024, 16:07

robertff wrote:You’re wrong about Blur.

Also they might not have sold as many records as Oasis but they were/are far more inventive and interesting with their music.

After Be Here Now or, more likely What’s The Story, they were trading on former glories, an enormous fanbase kept them going, not the music.

.


I used to think so, too, but let's just for the sake of fairness say they had two winners each, then. Oasis' highs are better, IMO. I only got rid of one Oasis album, the one with the pool, which I have happily forgotten about. Another ting is, Oasis singles have some good B-sides.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 30485
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Culling the collection to the very core

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Feb 2024, 16:09

Hugh wrote:I imagine there are 20,000 CDs in your collection I’d get rid of before Get Rhythm. :D


You have a vivid imagination.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80705
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Culling the collection to the very core

Postby C » 04 Feb 2024, 19:28

GoogaMooga wrote:Pearl Jam - "Ten"
Ry Cooder - "Get Rhythm"
Alpha Blondy - "Masada"

Pearl Jam are no Nirvana.


Agreed who said they were?

Ten is an excellent album - the only one of the four, that you list, that I know!




.
mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 80705
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Culling the collection to the very core

Postby C » 04 Feb 2024, 19:29

GoogaMooga wrote:
Hugh wrote:I imagine there are 20,000 CDs in your collection I’d get rid of before Get Rhythm. :D


You have a vivid imagination.


:lol:




.
mudshark wrote:We don't give a shit about Blighty.
Y'all can use Yeovil for all I care

User avatar
naughty boy
hounds people off the board
Posts: 20296
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21

Re: Culling the collection to the very core

Postby naughty boy » 05 Feb 2024, 15:00

GoogaMooga wrote:
mudshark wrote:I'd keep Get Rhythm, if only just for Cooder's rendition of "Thirteen Question Method". One of the best 'slide' performances ever recorded, in my opinion.


That may very well be, but have you heard Chuck Berry's original? It is completely different, and in my opinion way superior.


By a million, million miles, yeah.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.


Return to “Yakety Yak”