PSLs: FFKT/Genesis - oooof!

Do talk back
Spock!

Re: PSL: Genesis, Friday 9th Feb @ 9pm [UK]

Postby Spock! » 09 Feb 2024, 21:33

C wrote:
kath wrote:
Spock! wrote:See I'm late with the typing. We all like the instrumental parts of Genesis albums.

and we all agree that kath needs a mellotron.

I’ll start a whip round lass

Yes, I’ll start a whip round

Skip!

Family show, family show.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Feb 2024, 21:33

Beautiful music.

Wiki:

The rest of the second side contains "Supper's Ready", a 23-minute track formed of seven parts and the longest the band recorded. Gabriel believed the band's growing support as a live act gave them the confidence to start writing extended pieces. The song and its theme of good versus evil was inspired by an experience Gabriel and his then-wife Jill had with Anthony at Kensington Palace, when she reportedly entered a trance state as the room's windows suddenly blew open. Gabriel compared the ordeal to a scene from "a Hammer Horror film". Initially, the song took form as an acoustic track similar to "Stagnation" from Trespass or "The Musical Box" from Nursery Cryme, something the band wished to avoid repeating. To develop the piece further, Gabriel pitched his idea for what became the song's fifth section, titled "Willow Farm", on the piano. Banks noted the change from the song's more romantic introduction into "Willow Farm", with its "ugly chord sequence", worked as it took the song "into another dimension". Genesis went to the street and picked eight children to record vocals for the song and paid them ten 'bob' (shillings) each. "Apocalypse in 9/8" was improvised by Banks, Rutherford and Collins. It is a mostly instrumental performed in a 9/8 time signature that began with Rutherford playing his bass pedals which Collins recalled as "totally abstract with no time signature" and incorporated a drum pattern to it. Banks assumed his organ solo would have no vocals, but after Gabriel proceeded to record lyrics over it, something that he disagreed with initially, he said, "it only took about ten seconds to think 'This sounds fantastic, it's so strong'". Banks picked "Apocalypse in 9/8" and "As Sure as Eggs Is Eggs" as "the best piece of composition" Genesis recorded during Gabriel's tenure as lead singer, but thought Gabriel had written the lyrics too quickly. Collins supported this view, who recalled Gabriel rushing to get them written while the backing tracks were being recorded.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2024, 21:34

Spock! wrote:
C wrote:
kath wrote:
and we all agree that kath needs a mellotron.

I’ll start a whip round lass

Yes, I’ll start a whip round

Skip!

Family show, family show.

mwhahahaHA

Hardcore Oddball
Robust

Postby Hardcore Oddball » 09 Feb 2024, 21:34

kath wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:If I had some kind of handle of Peter's story here, I'd enjoy the song more. Still, it's their magnum opus without it being my fave Genesis song if that makes sense.

it is beautiful and epic.

He could be singing the phone book for all I care

The stunning music throughout drives the track along

The New Jerusalem!

Walk In My Shadow wrote:What's the matter, soft boy? Looking for a new victim?

kath

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2024, 21:35

Matt Wilson wrote:Beautiful music.

Wiki:

The rest of the second side contains "Supper's Ready", a 23-minute track formed of seven parts and the longest the band recorded. Gabriel believed the band's growing support as a live act gave them the confidence to start writing extended pieces. The song and its theme of good versus evil was inspired by an experience Gabriel and his then-wife Jill had with Anthony at Kensington Palace, when she reportedly entered a trance state as the room's windows suddenly blew open. Gabriel compared the ordeal to a scene from "a Hammer Horror film". Initially, the song took form as an acoustic track similar to "Stagnation" from Trespass or "The Musical Box" from Nursery Cryme, something the band wished to avoid repeating. To develop the piece further, Gabriel pitched his idea for what became the song's fifth section, titled "Willow Farm", on the piano. Banks noted the change from the song's more romantic introduction into "Willow Farm", with its "ugly chord sequence", worked as it took the song "into another dimension". Genesis went to the street and picked eight children to record vocals for the song and paid them ten 'bob' (shillings) each. "Apocalypse in 9/8" was improvised by Banks, Rutherford and Collins. It is a mostly instrumental performed in a 9/8 time signature that began with Rutherford playing his bass pedals which Collins recalled as "totally abstract with no time signature" and incorporated a drum pattern to it. Banks assumed his organ solo would have no vocals, but after Gabriel proceeded to record lyrics over it, something that he disagreed with initially, he said, "it only took about ten seconds to think 'This sounds fantastic, it's so strong'". Banks picked "Apocalypse in 9/8" and "As Sure as Eggs Is Eggs" as "the best piece of composition" Genesis recorded during Gabriel's tenure as lead singer, but thought Gabriel had written the lyrics too quickly. Collins supported this view, who recalled Gabriel rushing to get them written while the backing tracks were being recorded.

wow

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Feb 2024, 21:36

C wrote:
kath wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:If I had some kind of handle of Peter's story here, I'd enjoy the song more. Still, it's their magnum opus without it being my fave Genesis song if that makes sense.

Yeah, but as an English teacher, I always try to get to the bottom of the lyric. One of my many faults, probably.

Hardcore Oddball
Robust

Postby Hardcore Oddball » 09 Feb 2024, 21:36

Matt Wilson wrote:Beautiful music.

Wiki:

Thanks!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Feb 2024, 21:36

It's peaking now.

kath

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2024, 21:37

C wrote:
kath wrote:

The New Jerusalem!

well you knowww i can be a freak for lyrics, being the poetry wench i am. but i also love yes, and jon anderson's lyrics... mwhahaha.

it just depends.

but the music... ooooof

kath

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2024, 21:38

Matt Wilson wrote:
C wrote:
kath wrote:

Yeah, but as an English teacher, I always try to get to the bottom of the lyric. One of my many faults, probably.

nahh. as a former english teacher, i do love lyrics and try to get to the bottom of the lyric.

kath

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2024, 21:39

human bacon

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 09 Feb 2024, 21:39

C wrote:
kath wrote:

The New Jerusalem!

Yes. Unless lyrics grate I'm usually happy with them, except on songs which I'm playing for the words as much as the music - the work of Phil Ochs, Vin Garbutt and many others in the folk tradition.

Hardcore Oddball
Robust

Postby Hardcore Oddball » 09 Feb 2024, 21:40

A flower!

Hardcore Oddball
Robust

Postby Hardcore Oddball » 09 Feb 2024, 21:41

Spock! wrote:
C wrote:
kath wrote:

The New Jerusalem!

Yes. Unless lyrics grate I'm usually happy with them, except on songs which I'm playing for the words as much as the music - the work of Phil Ochs, Vin Garbutt and many others in the folk tradition.

Yes same here

kath

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2024, 21:41

C wrote:A flower!

i said it out loud mwhahaaa

Hardcore Oddball
Robust

Postby Hardcore Oddball » 09 Feb 2024, 21:42

All change!!!!!!!’

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Feb 2024, 21:42

kath wrote:
well you knowww i can be a freak for lyrics, being the poetry wench i am. but i also love yes, and jon anderson's lyrics... mwhahaha.

it just depends.

but the music... ooooof

You're made of sterner stuff than I. Stopped trying to glean the meaning of Jon's gobbly gook verbiage when I first heard Topographic Oceans.

Hardcore Oddball
Robust

Postby Hardcore Oddball » 09 Feb 2024, 21:43

kath wrote:
C wrote:A flower!

i said it out loud mwhahaaa

I saw a Genesis tribute band a year or so ago in a small venue (orchard theatre, Dartford) and shouted that out at the opportune moment - even the singer laughed!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Feb 2024, 21:43

For some reason I always noticed when Gabriel plays the flute.

kath

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2024, 21:44

Matt Wilson wrote:
kath wrote:

it just depends.

but the music... ooooof

You're made of sterner stuff than I. Stopped trying to glean the meaning of Jon's gobbly gook verbiage when I first heard Topographic Oceans.

mwhaahaa ya know, i think in the end, jon uses words as image-makers. making sense or telling a story is not really necessary

Return to “Yakety Yak”