Fats Domino

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Fats Domino

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jan 2024, 16:29

***FATS DOMINO ON ABC-PARAMOUNT***

While Fats Domino comps are a dime a dozen, and all the Imperial recordings have been collected by Bear Family (in stereo, alas), it is much harder to find stuff from the ABC-Paramount years.

Repertoire is the nearest label I can think of, but I don't think there are any complete recordings from that period on ANY label. And I can only imagine what a nightmare it must be to hunt down the vinyl.

I've got a generous 2CD set on Repertoire, "The Paramount Tapes", which is 59 tracks in total, but I am also looking for another Repertoire CD compilation covering the ABC-Paramount stuff, "Here Comes Fats Domino".

It's from 1992 and still quite cheap. There are some live tracks slapped on at the end, but what the hey, if they are from the 1960s, who's crying?

Anyway, Fats Domino signed with ABC-Paramount in 1963, but only stayed there until mid-1965, when the hits dried up. The British Invasion made his big beat R&B seem old hat. Even I fell into that trap.

But remarkably, his music has stayed fresh, at least for me. I am not tied down to a certain period, but like to cover the entire 20th century. And one of the century's most important artists has got to be Antoine "Fats" Domino. The father of R&B.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Fats Domino

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Jan 2024, 19:15

The Bear Family box is in stereo? I have it and don't recall that. I'll check it out when I go home.

There's actually two now, as they upgraded it.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Jan 2024, 19:17

Just looked it up. The vast majority of it is mono.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jan 2024, 19:52

I may have confused it with the Platters box, which was in stereo. Also from Bear Family. I think with that label, they like to choose stereo over mono, at least that is the impression I get. Platters should be heard in mono, of course. How about the Frankie Lymon box, is that in stereo, too?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Jan 2024, 20:08

Don't have the Lymon box, but I knew the Platters box was stereo. It's the reason I never picked it up.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jan 2024, 20:39

Yeah, it was a former BCB'er, Davey, who alerted me about the Platters box. It would be sweet if the Frankie Lymon box is in mono. Now there's an artist/group who has only been served by comps otherwise.

Return to “Yakety Yak”