OCD ALERT! Collecting Music...

Do talk back
C
Robust

OCD ALERT! Collecting Music...

Postby C » 24 Jan 2024, 16:48

In a communcation with my dear friend Neil Jung recently he sent me a photo of a VdGG CD he was holding/playing.

I was horrified - the jewel case was scratched to pieces. I suggested he change the case and that the music might even sound better. The lad responded by saying the case 'didn't bother him' - I nearly fainted

That got me thinking about other stuff I hold dearly to me regarding my music collection and the things that really annoy me and that I can't tolerate

So here we go, for me:

1. Scratched a cracked jewel cases must be replaced;

2. I dislike the cases that either have the two round studs or in particular the cases with the two horizontal bars. The latter, in particular, dig into the edge of the booklet and cause damage - particularly when CDs are sent through the post. I much prefer the 'safe' vertical bar type;

3. Only owning one album by a particular artiste/band. Okay, some bands, like Blind Faith, only made one record so that is fine. But after purchasing the second Sam Apple Pie LP (they should have been bigger than The Beatles) - a local band at the time, I spent ages trying to track down their first...! I always seek out a second, third, fourth for any new discovery....

4. Awful extra 'penalty" tracks. Okay, on some albums a track or two is added to the CD and if it was from the same session/live gig or tour then it's fine [sometimes good - see Trane) - although they have to be of decent quality. But often companies do such silly things. The CD that comes to mind was an early reissue, on CD, of Traffic's John Barleycorn. Amazingly they added two tracks, I think they were live and of poor sound quality - between sides 1 and 2 of the original album - not even at the bloody end! Whatever were they thinking...? Of course, I replaced it with a later version when it became available.

So, I have had my couch time - what about you...?

Rorschach wrote:You, sir, are a destroyer of planets. A BCB Galactus if you will.

mudshark

Re: OCD ALERT! Collecting Music...

Postby mudshark » 24 Jan 2024, 17:15

The thing I dislike most about CD's is the packaging: I hate those jewel cases. I was happy when a lot of releases came in carton, but the revival of vinyl has made me even happier. When I moved from Singapore I took all my CD's out of their cases, put the discs in folders (along with the booklets etc) and gave the empty ones to Teabag. This was a win-win-win situation: I saved a bunch on shipping, I made Neil happy and I didn't have to deal with those jewel cases ever again. Ever since then, the first thing I do with new purchases (hardly any, these days, but that may change) is get rid of the jewel cases (if applicable)

One thing I do like about CD releases is the 'extras', especially those that come with entire bonus discs. I purchased a few awful Costello CD's just because they came with some interesting live recordings. Not always great, but interesting enough. Squeezing Out Sparks also comes to mind.

Steven, don't tell me you weren't happy with the 1991 CD release of FZ "In New York".
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jan 2024, 17:27

mudshark wrote:When I moved from Singapore I took all my CD's out of their cases, put the discs in folders (along with the booklets etc) and gave the empty ones to Teabag.

Interesting! Many moons ago when Teabag visited his parents house, Lee, near Lewisham, he gave me a whole box of empty jewel cases - perhaps some of them were originally yours [I know he did the same thing as you re: storage]
We had a listening session then a few weeks later I reciprocated in Darenth [Kent]

mudshark wrote:Stephen, don't tell me you weren't happy with the 1991 CD release of FZ "In New York".

Indeed Muddy - but see my point above. Those extras 'fitted'

I really miss Neil - he was a good lad

Rorschach wrote:You, sir, are a destroyer of planets. A BCB Galactus if you will.

robertff

Postby robertff » 24 Jan 2024, 17:32

Crikey, think you might have just opened the floodgates here C.

1. Agree with this, I always replace jewel cases and the inner cases if scratched or damaged.

2. Not too concerned about the studs or bars, just won’t buy the CD if the booklet is damaged, unless it is bootfair dirt cheap.

3. I will always check out other albums of artists that I only have one album by - there are so many reviews out there that there’s really no need to buy an album ‘blind’.

4. Not really bothered by extra tracks etc, usually there’s a reason why they weren’t on the album in the first place. Silly to add them to the wrong place on the album, nevertheless, very happy to have Virginia Plain added to the end of the first side of the first Roxy album on CD. Would love it if they produced a Sgt. Pepper with Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields segued faultlessly into the album on CD and even more preferable on vinyl LP.

When it comes to vinyl - my preferred format, things become even more O.C.D.

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Jan 2024, 19:49

When jazz labels started reissuing albums on cd they would add alt. takes but usually followed or preceded the original track so you had the same song playing twice. Great if you’re a student of the music and trying to learn something but I found it unnecessary and more than a little irritating. Sure you could program the cd to play differently but sometimes a pita. Fortunately that approach fell out of favor. Probably too many complaints.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jan 2024, 20:31

robertff wrote:Would love it if they produced a Sgt. Pepper with Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields segued faultlessly into the album

Nice idea Rob

robertff wrote:When it comes to vinyl - my preferred format, things become even more O.C.D.

By 'album' I mean CD, LP and cassette

All welcome

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jan 2024, 20:34

Six String wrote:When jazz labels started reissuing albums on cd they would add alt. takes but usually followed or preceded the original track so you had the same song playing twice. Great if you’re a student of the music and trying to learn something but I found it unnecessary and more than a little irritating. Sure you could program the cd to play differently but sometimes a pita.

Yes - irritating Les

For me, worse than an alt. take is a single version or a studio version of the live track on the original (live) album

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Jan 2024, 22:12

Dimples and horsehoes. Dimples are when the two retainer knobs have dug into the booklet. Same goes for horseshoes, where the top and/or bottom of the booklet gets crimped.

Since I started on thrift shopping many years ago, I came to accept these things. I'd be uspet if I had paid full retail or collector's prices for the CDs, but even then I eat them, because it is a tremendous hassle to return a CD in the post.

Scratched or cracked cases. I buy replacement cases in bulk, 200 at a time. Odd formats like fatboys or slimline doubles, I have to mail order, ten at a time.

Buckled back inlay card. I like to iron them flat.

Motown doubles with two flip lids. The stupidest thing I have yet seen, a cracked case cannot be replaced here.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jan 2024, 22:25

GoogaMooga wrote:Dimples and horsehoes. Dimples are when the two retainer knobs have dug into the booklet. Same goes for horseshoes, where the top and/or bottom of the booklet gets crimped.

Since I started on thrift shopping many years ago, I came to accept these things. I'd be uspet if I had paid full retail or collector's prices for the CDs, but even then I eat them, because it is a tremendous hassle to return a CD in the post.

Scratched or cracked cases. I buy replacement cases in bulk, 200 at a time. Odd formats like fatboys or slimline doubles, I have to mail order, ten at a time.

Buckled back inlay card. I like to iron them flat.

Motown doubles with two flip lids. The stupidest thing I have yet seen, a cracked case cannot be replaced here.

Good lad Googs

Yes, good lad

robertff

Postby robertff » 25 Jan 2024, 11:55

Vinyl LPs

Never bought 7” singles, with the exception of the Kinks’ ‘Till the End of the Day’. Somehow I have acquired between 20-30, can’t quite remember how.

I won’t buy any new album where the cover is in anyway damaged - all online purchases are returned if damaged in anyway for a replacement.

Once I have opened the cellophane wrapper (as all LPs are now wrapped in cellophane), I check the records for any kind of damage e.g. warps, scratches, odd markings. Once again they are returned if damaged.

Then I play the record and if it is okay, no unwarranted noises etc, I’ll then put it into a 12”poly lined inner cover and the album in a 400g polythene cover. Thick vinyl covers over time cause damage to the covers in my experience.

Any second hand records I buy go through the same process, except that they all receive a thorough cleaning first, both record, cover and inner.

Titles and artists of LPs and CDs are then written down in a book for cataloguing and insurance purposes. Looked at doing this on Discogs but it would have taken me too long.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Jan 2024, 14:37

robertff wrote:Vinyl LPs

Never bought 7” singles, with the exception of the Kinks’ ‘Till the End of the Day’. Somehow I have acquired between 20-30, can’t quite remember how.

I won’t buy any new album where the cover is in anyway damaged - all online purchases are returned if damaged in anyway for a replacement.

Once I have opened the cellophane wrapper (as all LPs are now wrapped in cellophane), I check the records for any kind of damage e.g. warps, scratches, odd markings. Once again they are returned if damaged.

Then I play the record and if it is okay, no unwarranted noises etc, I’ll then put it into a 12”poly lined inner cover and the album in a 400g polythene cover. Thick vinyl covers over time cause damage to the covers in my experience.

Any second hand records I buy go through the same process, except that they all receive a thorough cleaning first, both record, cover and inner.

Titles and artists of LPs and CDs are then written down in a book for cataloguing and insurance purposes. Looked at doing this on Discogs but it would have taken me too long.

Good lad

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 26 Jan 2024, 09:09

1 and 2. Whether with studs or bar(s), jewel cases are unwieldy fragile plastic monsters and ugly as hell (the short-lived "super jewel cases" were a more robust improvement, actually, but still ugly ). And don't get me started on the "dimples" and "horseshoes" mentioned by Googs... I know, I own thousands of the fuckers, but I hate them so much I've virtually stopped buying CDs that are not in cardboard packaging (digipaks or digisleeves), at least for purchases made on a whim, in charity shops or flea markets. But yes, I do replace broken cases/trays when the CD in question is valuable to me. As for "fat boys", I've always replaced them with normal double CD cases to gain space - spine info and booklet size permitting.

3. Oooh yes, any new discovery that makes me go "wow" wakes the hunter in me. Ideally, with new stuff I try to contact the artists themselves to satisfy my completist appetite (via bandcamp or their own websites). And I hate it when there's no physical media option, not even vinyl. With older stuff, I start compulsive trawls through Discogs, Amazon Marketplace etc.

4. I love the extras as a rule, even if they're of minor interest. The Elvis Costello reissue programme (2001-2005) got it right, with all the extras on a separate bonus disc. The Jethro Tull anniversary editions are fabulous too. But I don't mind a bunch of extras stuck at the end. The infamous "John Barleycorn incident" was an outlier, hardly representative for expanded reissues.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Jan 2024, 09:25

Yeah, jewel cases are bulky, ugly and fragile, they're terrible for storage, they take up far too much room and the teeth break far too easily. I don't replace them though, just live with the monstrosities. Digipak is much better.

I guess I only own one album by some bands. Sometimes you get that feeling that one album is all you need, everything else will be diminishing returns. You know, like The Strokes obviously only had one album, though that's a poor example because I don't own it. The opposite is worse, where you keep buying a band's albums because they show some promise and consistently evolve, but never really produce the goods. Autechre fit that category for me.

Extras are cool so long as they don't interrupt the original flow. Not often I'd buy a reissue just for extras, but it's better than buying something because it's been remastered. I love that album, I'll buy it again to see if I can hear any vaguely perceptible difference...
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Jan 2024, 09:48

Neige wrote:The Jethro Tull anniversary editions are fabulous too.

Agreed superb, but too often dross ‘penalty’ tracks

Also silly ‘disco’ versions tagged on the end

Ultravox come to mind

I am happy with the original album with some relevant good quality extras as long as they don’t upset the feel (and flow)

If it’s a studio album I don’t want live extras unless it’s a whole concert length gig which can go on a second CD

The first Blind Faith CD was a disaster!

Fortunately a later version reverted to sensibility

Whilst I have the floor I chip in a further irritant:

Having an album in my collection I don’t like

I have none. Anything I buy or acquire, and don’t like, I bin or hand on

My brother, during the 90s, used to buy me NEW MUSIC and derivative claptrap but he soon got the picture

I also loathe best ofs and compilations (sorry Rob, Chris et alia) - I have always bought the proper albums. I’ve never dabbled

There is one exception - (Tamla) Motown Chartbusters Volume 3

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 26 Jan 2024, 14:16

Sometimes a genre is only really well-served by compilations. Where would you go to for first-wave ska, if not straight to a Trojan comp. There aren't that many artists releasing full albums at that time. Or just to dip your toes into different waters, there's not really a better way to discover a way into different musics throughout the world. Especially since Radio Garden died.

I've got loads of albums I don't like, too, I've never traded any in, I'm too much of a hoarder. You never know when you might get the need to listen to a dreadful WASP album, or some side-project of Atari Teenage Riot. There's still something to be enjoyed from thinking about why you don't like something, too.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jan 2024, 14:17

Darkness_Fish wrote:Not often I'd buy a reissue just for extras, but it's better than buying something because it's been remastered.

Sometimes, though, there is no question of whether to upgrade to a remaster, especially Warner-Reprise CDs. I am dumping five such by Neil Young, because they sound appalling. Early Columbia with the red letter spines aren't very good, either. Other times, though, a flat transfer may be preferable, because you avoid the brickwalling. I've got CDs dating back to 1982 and 1983 and they sound FANTASTIC. You do have to turn up the volume a bit, because they have been mastered much quieter.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 26 Jan 2024, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Jan 2024, 14:18

Darkness_Fish wrote: There's still something to be enjoyed from thinking about why you don't like something, too.

:lol:

robertff

Postby robertff » 26 Jan 2024, 14:21

C wrote:
Whilst I have the floor I chip in a further irritant:

Having an album in my collection I don’t like

I have none. Anything I buy or acquire, and don’t like, I bin or hand on

My brother, during the 90s, used to buy me NEW MUSIC and derivative claptrap but he soon got the picture

I also loathe best ofs and compilations (sorry Rob, Chris et alia) - I have always bought the proper albums. I’ve never dabbled

There is one exception - (Tamla) Motown Chartbusters Volume 3

Regarding albums in your collection that you don't like. I have found over the years, as my taste has changed and varied, albums and genres of music which I had bought and not particularly liked have gradually grown on me, case in point most Jazz albums, so I keep all the albums I acquire knowing that one day I might get to like them. I made the big mistake years ago of getting shot of albums, never again.

I really don't undestand your view about 'NEW MUSIC' and your dismissive 'derivative claptrap' stand - all music is derivative, every note has been played before - how far back do you need to go before it was original? How do you know if you are going to like something if you don't listen to it? I feel for your brother.

As regards compilations I can only speak for myself, although I'm pretty sure Chris will be the same, but I also own the proper albums as well as the compilations - sometimes it's nice just to listen to the hits or best tracks but if that's what you like, that's what you like.

robertff

Postby robertff » 26 Jan 2024, 14:27

Crumbs what do some of you guys do with the jewel cases?

I don't have any problem with them, take care of them and they take care of you. Of all the CDs that I've bought from new I don't think I've ever had to change one of them because they got damaged or scratched.

robertff

Postby robertff » 26 Jan 2024, 14:28

Darkness_Fish wrote:Sometimes a genre is only really well-served by compilations. Where would you go to for first-wave ska, if not straight to a Trojan comp. There aren't that many artists releasing full albums at that time. Or just to dip your toes into different waters, there's not really a better way to discover a way into different musics throughout the world. Especially since Radio Garden died.

Yep.

Return to “Yakety Yak”