The Hammersmith Odeon

Do talk back
C
Robust

The Hammersmith Odeon

Postby C » 20 Jan 2024, 16:39

From 1969 to the late 80s/early 90s the MAIN venues that were my second [sic] homes were;

1969 - 1973 The Dagenham Roundhouse, London/Essex border
1970 - 1973 Paris Studios, central London [John Peel Show]
1972 - 1980 The Rainbow, Finsbury Park, north London (I lived less than half a mile away)
1972 - 1990 approx - The Hammersmith Odeon, west London

For this interested, here is some stuff on the latter (if you are still with me, Enjoy!!)

I was at many of those recorded shows...!

Thanks to Wikipedia

1970s
The photo booklet that forms part of The Who's Quadrophenia album features pictures of the venue (particularly within the centre spread;) the photos of the main character (Jimmy) waiting, kneeling beside his GS Scooter outside the venue as the members of the band take their groupies to a limo were taken during a photo shoot.

On 28 October 1972, the "Giants of Jazz", a group consisting of jazz musicians Dizzy Gillespie, Kai Winding, Sonny Stitt, Thelonious Monk, Al McKibbon and Art Blakey – played two concerts at the Hammersmith at 6:30 and 9:30 P.M.
In July 1973, David Bowie performed his final concert as Ziggy Stardust at the venue. The concert was filmed by American documentary filmmaker D. A. Pennebaker, who intercut scenes of fans outside the venue, Bowie in the dressing room, with the concert footage. The film was not released until 1979, and is now available on DVD as Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars.

In December 1974, Elton John played a televised Christmas concert for the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test.

In November and December 1975, Queen performed several shows at the Hammersmith Odeon during the A Night at the Opera Tour. The show of 24 December was broadcast by the BBC and released in 2015 on CD, Vinyl and DVD/Blu-ray as A Night at the Odeon – Hammersmith 1975.

On 15–16 May 1976, KISS made their first UK appearances, supported by UK rockers Stray; tickets sold out in 2 hours for their two-night stay.

Genesis featured in a 6-night run, 09-14 June 1976, making the UK debut of their "A Trick of the Tail" tour. This was the band's first post-Peter Gabriel album and tour, with Phil Collins stepping out from behind his drum kit to front the vocals. Bill Bruford, formerly of YES, stepped in on drums for this tour before giving way to Chester Thompson on subsequent tours.

In 1976, much of Thin Lizzy's live album Live and Dangerous was recorded at the Hammersmith on the Johnny The Fox Tour. Again in 1981, Lynott and his gang appeared in the venue for the recording of the BBC's In Concert. The disc are released as a part of the Box Set At The BBC, in 2011. Some of this tracks also appeared in the deluxe editions of Chinatown and Thunder and Lightning. Finally, the double live album Life/Live was recorded in the venue in 1981 and 1983, with the participation of guitarists Eric Bell, Brian Robertson and Gary Moore. The guitarist Snowy White participated on three tracks recorded in 1981 in the same venue.

The progressive rock band Camel recorded some tracks in 1976 for the release of a future live album. The album was released in 1978, and is called A Live Record. The entire concert was released and made part of the deluxe edition of Moonmadness. The same concert was broadcast by the BBC and released in DVD format. The DVD was called Moondances.
In November 1977, The Tubes played 10 shows and recorded the live double album What Do You Want from Live at the Hammersmith. The album was released in February 1978.

In 1978, Black Sabbath, with Ozzy Osbourne still a member, held concerts celebrating 10 years of career in the venue. The opening band was Van Halen. The concert was recorded and released on video and later on DVD, with the name Never Say Die: A Decade of Black Sabbath. In 30–31 December 1981, the band now with Dio recorded their concerts at this venue. The gig was released on disc and vinyl in 2007, and later as part of the Deluxe edition of Mob Rules. In 1994 the show in Apollo was recorded and released one year later titled Cross Purposes Live.

On 24 February 1978, Sweet played their first concert at Hammersmith Odeon. It was to be their last British show featuring singer Brian Connolly.

On 20 February 1978, Rush recorded 11 tracks from their "A Farewell to Kings" tour, including tracks from all of their first five albums. These tracks were not released at the time. They were included as a bonus disc on their 10 November 1998 release of Different Stages Live which included recordings from both their 1994 Counterparts and 1997 Test for Echo tours.
Whitesnake recorded tracks for their live album Live...in the Heart of the City on 23 November 1978. The album also included tracks that were later recorded (also at the Hammersmith Odeon) on 23 and 24 June 1980. Years later, David Coverdale and this gang appears in Hammersmith for the recorded of Live... In the Still of the Night album and DVD set.

The albums 461 Ocean Boulevard and Slowhand of the guitarist Eric Clapton were reissued in double CD deluxe format accompanied with a live album recorded at the venue, depicting tours of 1974 and 1976.

Frank Zappa also recorded parts of his 1979 album, Sheik Yerbouti, at the venue. Zappa's triple album Hammersmith Odeon was released posthumously in 2010 by the Zappa Family Trust.

Kate Bush also performed the same year, and released a live video and record EP of her 1979 concerts.

On 13–15 December 1979, Cliff Richard played at the Hammersmith Odeon during the Rock'n'Roll Juvenile Tour.
In December 1979, Queen, The Clash, Elvis Costello, The Who, The Pretenders and Paul McCartney and Wings and many more artists played several nights. The Hammersmith Odeon hosted the four-night Concerts for the People of Kampuchea, a benefit concert to raise money for Cambodian victims of the dictator Pol Pot, of which Queen played the first night. Paul McCartney and Kurt Waldheim organised the event.

The Police played three shows at Hammersmith Odeon in late 1979 promoting their Reggatta de Blanc album (1979-09-22, 1979-09-23 and 1979-12-18).

1980s
In 1980, the rock band UFO, without Michael Schenker, recorded the BBC programme In Concert. In 1981, they again played in the venue for the same programme. These two discs are in the UFO on Air: At the BBC, released in 2013.

In May 1980, the English/Australian instrumental band Sky played two nights (19th & 20th) at the Hammersmith Odeon during the tour of their popular Sky 2 album. The concert was filmed and later broadcast (in two parts) on BBC TV's "Rhythm on Two" on 24 & 31 July 1980. The concert is now available on DVD. The venue's Compton organ was played briefly by keyboardist Francis Monkman for their encore of the Toccata.

British heavy metal group, Iron Maiden, played at Hammersmith Odeon 24 times between 1980 - 2005. In 1980, Iron Maiden played two consecutive nights opening for Judas Priest. In 1981 the band played here their a very first headline show with French band Trust as the support act. Iron Maiden show from 1982 was recorded and published as the Beast over Hammersmith double live CD being a part of Eddie's Archive box released in 2002.[20] The clips from that night were used as a part of 12 Wasted Years (1987) documentary and The History of Iron Maiden – Part 1: The Early Days DVD released in 2004. Between 1983 and 1988, the band played multiple sold out nights, including six shows in 1986 as a part of Somewhere on Tour 1986/87.[22] The fourth side of double live album Live After Death was recorded during the four nights played by the band as a part of World Slavery Tour. In 1990, Iron Maiden played here their first show in London with a new member, guitarist Janick Gers.

Miles Davis played in 1982 with his Jazz fusion band. The concert was released some years later in DVD.
Def Leppard recorded the videos of Let It Go, High & Dry (Saturday Night), and Bringing on the Heartbreak at the venue.
In December 1985, Hawkwind filmed a concert from their Chronicle of the Black Sword tour. The recordings were subsequently released as the Live Chronicles album and The Chronicle of the Black Sword video.

In 1983, Dire Straits recorded the concerts for a future release. Finished launching in 1984 the double album Alchemy and a video with the same name. The video was remastered and released on DVD and Blu-ray in 2009, in its full version.

The black metal band Venom released a double album in 1985 called Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. One of the discs was recorded in the venue. The band was banned in 1984 because they ruined the ceiling of the theatre with a show of fireworks (during the track Countess Bathory). The show was recorded and released on video in 1984 with the name Seven Dates to Hell, with opening by the young Metallica. The following year, the band recorded the concert at this venue for a television special, named Live from London. Both shows were released on DVD during the 2000s.

In 1980, Blondie performed one of their most famous shows. Robert Fripp joined them on guitar, and their live cover of "Heroes" (which was later used as a B-Side) was recorded there. In addition, some more live tracks recorded were later used as bonus tracks on the 2001 rerelease of the Eat to the Beat album.

On 20 September 1980, Randy Rhoads performed one of his first shows, with new musical soulmate Ozzy Osbourne, on the Blizzard of Ozz Tour, they returned on 26 October.

In 1982, Duran Duran performed during promotion for their Rio album. The concert was filmed and released as Live at Hammersmith '82! in 2009, as a CD-DVD combo pack.

On 25 October 1982, Depeche Mode performed there as part of their A Broken Frame Tour. The concert was filmed and parts were released as Live at Hammersmith Odeon London in 2006, as a DVD included in the remastered album, A Broken Frame.

In 1982, Elton John performed a series of concerts with his reunited "Classic" band, promoting his albums The Fox and Jump Up!. A concert on Christmas Eve featured a medley of Christmas carols and a rare live duet of "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with Kiki Dee.

In 1982, Japan played a six-night residency from 17 to 22 November. These were the band's final performances in the UK and the final night's performance was recorded and then released in 1983 on VHS and audio as Oil on Canvas.

In 1983, Marillion performed the final date of their tour supporting their debut album, Script for a Jester's Tear. This also marked the final performance with drummer Mick Pointer. The performance was filmed and released as Recital of the Script.

In 1984, Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour performed three shows at the venue on his About Face solo tour, which was documented on the concert video David Gilmour Live 1984.

On 21 September 1986, Metallica performed at the Odeon during their Master of Puppets Tour. This is one of the band's last performances with bassist Cliff Burton, who was killed in a bus crash, six days later and also featured guitarist John Marshall as James Hetfield was recovering from a skateboard accident. This performance formed the basis for the Hammersmith Apollo's appearance in video game Guitar Hero: Metallica in 2009, complete with Master of Puppets-themed stage.
Between 15 and 20 December 1986, the Norwegian band a-ha held 6 concerts at the Hammersmith Odeon.

At the start of the seminal Public Enemy album, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, they are heard addressing the Hammersmith Odeon crowd at a concert there in 1987. Due to trouble outside the venue before and after the show, the Hammersmith Odeon refused to host any rap groups for several years afterwards.

On 10 July 1987, the first Soviet rock musicians ever to perform in Britain Autograph and Dialogue at Russian Rock Gala during Capital Music Festival.

On 23 February 1987, Europe performed at Hammersmith Odeon in part of The Final Countdown World Tour. The performance was filmed and released as Europe : The Final Countdown World Tour 1987 (Live in Hammersmith Odeon)

Rorschach wrote:You, sir, are a destroyer of planets. A BCB Galactus if you will.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Re: The Hammersmith Odeon

Postby The Slider » 20 Jan 2024, 17:23

One of the best theatre venues in London - I preferred it to the Rainbow as it is wider and shallower so you are closer to the stage.
I favour Shepherds Bush Empire all in all as it is smaller - and The Brixton Academy as it is closer to home, but a visit to the Odeon (always The Odeon, never the Eventim Apollo or whatever it is called this week) is always a treat

A few of the more notable acts I have seen there - The Modern Lovers (78) Ian and the Blockheads (79) AC/DC (79 and 04) Black Sabbath (80, 81, 82) Rush (80) Styx (80) Genesis (82) Motorhead (82) Frankies (84) Luther Vandross (85) Seal (1992) The Stooges (2004) The Darkness (2013) The Damned (2022)

I was last there three weeks ago to see Peter Pan with Boy George as Captain Hook :lol:
Last edited by The Slider on 20 Jan 2024, 17:32, edited 3 times in total.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jan 2024, 17:27

Never been there, just too far out of my catchment.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 20 Jan 2024, 18:03

The Slider wrote:
I was last there three weeks ago to see Peter Pan with Boy George as Captain Hook :lol:

A friend of mine went and said it was awful!

I’ve been many times too. Yes (Drama and Magnification tours), Styx, Rush, Journey, Hackett, Collins, Gabriel, Mike & Mechanics, Horslips, Lloyd Cole, Psychedelic Furs, BJH, Tull, Pat Metheny, Ringo’s All Starr Band, Spirit, Wishbone Ash, Neil Young and many more.
[indistinct chatter]

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Jan 2024, 18:22

I can’t recall them all but these come immediately to mind:

Weather Report
Jethro Tull
Genesis
OMD
Ultravox
Camel
Mountain
Spirit
Santana
Deep Purple
Hawkwind
King Crimson (with Jamie)
Jean- Luc Ponty
Frank Zappa (of course)
Ride/Dinosaur Jr/Mercury Rev
My Bloody Valentine
Velvet underground (classic reunion)
Wishbone Ash
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Kraftwerk
Curved Air

Rorschach wrote:You, sir, are a destroyer of planets. A BCB Galactus if you will.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Jan 2024, 18:27

Neil Jung wrote:Ringo’s All Starr Band,.

Bloody hell lad - were they giving the tickets away for free…..!

We were probably at the same Spirit gig

I was centre, first row stalls - a great night

The old bald lad on tubs - great !

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 21 Jan 2024, 05:37

My favorite London venue. Many good memories, incl. the Farewell Concert of Everly Brothers.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 21 Jan 2024, 13:00

C wrote:I can’t recall them all but these come immediately to mind:

That never happened
They played one night at the Forum - I was in attendance - and two at Wembley Arena
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Jan 2024, 14:01

The Slider wrote:
C wrote:I can’t recall them all but these come immediately to mind:

That never happened
They played one night at the Forum - I was in attendance - and two at Wembley Arena

Thanks Slider - I wasn't sure about that one. It wasn't Wembley Arena so it must have been the Forum

My memory isn't what it was - viz SAHB....!

I'm not 100% sure about Kraftwerk either. I saw them twice on the Computer World tour but it might have been at the other gaff around the corner....

Can you help me out lad....?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 21 Jan 2024, 18:02

C wrote:
I'm not 100% sure about Kraftwerk either. I saw them twice on the Computer World tour but it might have been at the other gaff around the corner....

They played Hammersmith Palais (29.06.81) and two dates at Hammersmith Odeon (02.07.81 and 03.07.81) or so the internet tells me.
Give a shit or be a shit.

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Jan 2024, 18:31

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
C wrote:

They played Hammersmith Palais (29.06.81) and two dates at Hammersmith Odeon (02.07.81 and 03.07.81) or so the internet tells me.

That’s exactly it Tom!

Thanks lad

Yes, thanks

Perhaps my memory is not so bad

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 21 Jan 2024, 20:44

C wrote:

Ringo’s band included Joe Walsh and Todd Rundgren iirc so it was a really good concert.

The Spirit concert had Wishbone Ash as opening act. Was that the one you saw?
[indistinct chatter]

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Jan 2024, 22:10

Neil Jung wrote:
C wrote:

The Spirit concert had Wishbone Ash as opening act. Was that the one you saw?

Yes - I forgot The Ash supported

Year…?

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 Jan 2024, 23:58

Neil Jung wrote:The Spirit concert had Wishbone Ash as opening act. Was that the one you saw?

I'm (w)racking my brains on this one....

I need to check - I saw Wishbone Ash at the Hammy about the same time, but I can't recall if they were on the same bill as Spirit

What year do you think Neil...?

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 22 Jan 2024, 06:33

The Odeonn8s an good venue. I too have been to a fair numbers of gigs there.
Prince is probably the biggest name I saw there, but other gigs include Kylie, the Fugees and Hall and Oates.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 22 Jan 2024, 09:52

Wishbone Ash / Spirit
Sep 23, 1989 (34 years ago)

Hammersmith Odeon Hammersmith, England, United Kingdom
[indistinct chatter]

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 Jan 2024, 12:09

Neil Jung wrote:Wishbone Ash / Spirit

Thanks Mike - it must be that because I couldn't find anything else except the Potatoland Tour - was that it?

Other than what it was The Adventures of Kaptain Kopter & Commander Cassidy from 1981 tour - that could have been Potatoland but I can't recall them doing much, if any, of that specific album nor that they were billed under that nomenclature

I don't remember Wishbone Ash though and I didn't think it was as late as 1989 - perhaps it was

NMB

Postby NMB » 23 Jan 2024, 08:16

You lot all have better memories than I do. But I definitely saw Little Feat and Tom Waits which haven’t been mentioned.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 23 Jan 2024, 10:56

C wrote:

Thanks Mike - it must be that because I couldn't find anything else except the Potatoland Tour - was that it?

Other than what it was The Adventures of Kaptain Kopter & Commander Cassidy from 1981 tour - that could have been Potatoland but I can't recall them doing much, if any, of that specific album nor that they were billed under that nomenclature

I don't remember Wishbone Ash though and I didn't think it was as late as 1989 - perhaps it was

That was definitely the gig I attended but Spirit had played there in previous years.
[indistinct chatter]

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 Jan 2024, 12:18

Neil Jung wrote:
C wrote:

That was definitely the gig I attended but Spirit had played there in previous years.

Yes, that’s what I was hoping to find

But didn’t

D’oh

Return to “Yakety Yak”