Jazz Club

Do talk back
C
Robust

Re: Jazz Club

Postby C » 23 Apr 2024, 12:00

A drop more Lee Morgan

It's a shame his wife shot him at such a young age - he could have been as big as Miles

NMB wrote:I much prefer tuneless twaddle to tuneful twaddle.

Jazz generally does have a tune but they don’t necessarily play it to you.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Apr 2024, 02:59

Swiftie wrote:
mudshark wrote:Feelin' The Spirit
Born To Be Blue
I Want To Hold Your hand
Street Dreams
Grantstand

And Live at the Lighthouse, but that one is waiting for me in Tomball. Ordered it, will play it when I get back next week. Looking forward to going home.

Truth be told: he's very good on Go Down Moses, that's turning right now.

Hmm... I'm not sure you have the best ones.

Idle Moments is considered to be Green's finest

Grandstand and Green Street are corkers too

My recommendation would be The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark. The original material was shelved until they both died and was first issued as the albums Nigeria, Oleo and Gooden's Corner

Try that, or Idle Moments, and then give up!

Your loss though

x

Um, far be it from me to accuse C of giving bad musical advice... but the "then give up" comment is really bad advice! :lol:

His recommendations above are very good, but they do lean to towards C's preference for GG in hard bop/traditional mode, which from your comments may not be for you.

Green had a VERY important Soul Jazz/funky jazz period that you will miss out on if you don't dig a bit deeper and later in his discography, mudshark. Sets like Alive!, Carryin' On and Live at Club Mozambique have some wonderful jazz in a more soulful, funky mode; if you like that style i highly recommend them to you.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Apr 2024, 03:07

Tighter than a fish's plughole.

Grant Green - 'Jan Jan' from Live at Club Mozambique

Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 25 Apr 2024, 14:33

Swiftie wrote:I’ve been playing a lot of Joe Henderson the last couple of weeks

I have the first half dozen and I’ve been thinking about which is my favourite - Joe as leader

Horses for courses I suppose, but I often gravitate to the lad’s debut

What about you - your top 2 or 3….?

it might help me make up my mind for when it’s next my selection for the JSL…!

I got the Classic Vinyl Series reissue recently of Mode for Joe, and it reaffirmed just how much i love that record and how damn good it is.

I think it would be an excellent synch listen choice, C. A large and killer band playing some exciting tunes.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Apr 2024, 14:37

fange wrote:I think it would be an excellent synch listen choice, C. A large and killer band playing some exciting tunes.

It's going to be a difficult choice Fange

See the poll on my Henderson thread...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=155236

A nice GG track by the way!

You're a good lad

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Apr 2024, 17:59

NP

Dolphy's last album with Oliver Nelson

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 03 May 2024, 11:18

Give a shit or be a shit.

C
Robust

Postby C » 03 May 2024, 12:50

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Image

ooooof!

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 04 May 2024, 12:09

NP

Dave Brubeck Quartet - Double Live From The USA and UK

I scored a cache of DB CDs, mainly live from throughout his career, last year in a charity shop while on holiday. So glad for that!

Brubeck has a reputation that fails to reflect his influence, interests, breadth of his career, and the incredible quality of his recorded music.

This late nineties set pairs a review of a UK tour taking in Cardiff, Northampton, and the Royal Festival Hall with a Washington performance.

Sublime.
"They love hating the music they hate nearly as much as they love loving the music they love"

- Andrew Mueller It's Too Late To Die Young Now

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 04 May 2024, 22:20

Dave Brubeck is an icon that should be mentioned in the same sentence as Trane, Miles, Coleman, Shorter, Mingus, Hancock etc. But he hardly ever is. Don't want to get into why that is. Maybe it's the lack of crimes and other misdemeanors. I hope he's been sending Fortnum & Mason Xmas hampers to Paul Desmond right up to 1977 (RIP). Without Paul no Dave. And vice versa, probably.

I've been back in the U.S.S.A. for a week now. While the plane was landing last Saturday, the airco at the house conked up. Never a good thing in Texas. Then I found out my son got arrested in Malaysia. Trial date June 2nd. And then the rain came (where were you?), relentlessly. We were on an island for a bit. I wish I'd known how to build an ark, but I didn't receive any DIY instructions from beyond. We're not out of the woods yet according to the meteorologists, but today is relatively dry, which allowed me to venture out to Volume Music (Sawdust Road, Woodlands TX: support your local record store!!). Bought the wife some 80's stuff she likes (mother's, birth and wedding day all this month), and managed to score myself some stuff I'm happy with:

Weather Report - Black Market Clash.
Does WP belong in the Jazz Club? Of course it does. Half of this album has their best stuff ever. And that's the stuff with Alphonso Johnson on bass. I wish Jaco had joined Deep Purple or something, rather than make a wonderful band with two great leaders all about him.

Eric Dolby - Outward Bound.
Here's where he pays his dues to the 'cats' that inspired him, while putting the bar a helluva lot higher for his contemporaries, with the aid of Mr. Hubbard. "245" is the standout track for me. Will play it again tonight. Not the best album to listen to while cooking.

Joe Henderson - Inner Urge.
I don't think I'd ever heard an album with Joe Henderson as a leader. I have quite a few recordings with him as a band member (Lee Morgan, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner). Prompted by the mighty C, I purchased Inner Urge. Listened to it once, just now. I wasn't blown over. Isotope is very good. It's dangerous for any performer to cover a classic like "Night & Day". He did, and he didn't pull it off, in my opinion. Requires more listening while under the influence.

Charlies Mingus - Reincarnations.
"The crucial companion to Incarnations", the sticker says. Not sure what that means. Haven't played it. Looks like some sort of compilation. It's got Eric Dolphy, Charles McPherson (whose "From This Moment On" is excellent) and the mysterious Paul Bley on it. Tonight it's going Shropshire cheese, Taylor Fladgate Port (20 yr) and mucho Jazzzzzzz.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 06 May 2024, 13:21

Interesting, Muddy!

Hope your son is OK - that was a bit of a curveball.

Last night's Jazz Synch Listen was Sam Jones The Chant, recorded with a 12-piece band. This got us talking about big band jazz. Afterwards, I watched my new DVD acquisition, The Glenn Miller Story, which I had never seen.

A great film, needless to say. This morning I have been playing:

The Essential Glenn Miller

I was surprised that the best-selling soundtrack to the film does not appear in the Glenn Miller discography. But of course, it is elsewhere, as he does not play on it:

The vinyl version that stayed on the US Billboard charts at number one for ten weeks had eight tracks recorded in one day by the Universal International Studio Orchestra, on a 10" album. A later LP release appended two tracks by Louis Armstrong, whose appearance at the Millers' wedding night party steals the whole movie.

Another surprise is that the film eliminates nearly all of the vocalists who sang with the band. Would this have been for copyright reasons? I mean that 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow', among many, is played as an instrumental in the film when the Glenn Miller Band were known for vocal versions. Would this have conflicted with other studios' ownership of the songs, or was it to focus more on Glenn Miller than making what would have been seen as a traditional musical?
Last edited by LMG on 06 May 2024, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 May 2024, 13:36

mudshark wrote:Dave Brubeck is an icon that should be mentioned in the same sentence as Trane, Miles, Coleman, Shorter, Mingus, Hancock etc. But he hardly ever is. Don't want to get into why that is. Maybe it's the lack of crimes and other misdemeanors. I hope he's been sending Fortnum & Mason Xmas hampers to Paul Desmond right up to 1977 (RIP). Without Paul no Dave. And vice versa, probably.

I've been back in the U.S.S.A. for a week now. While the plane was landing last Saturday, the airco at the house conked up. Never a good thing in Texas. Then I found out my son got arrested in Malaysia. Trial date June 2nd. And then the rain came (where were you?), relentlessly. We were on an island for a bit. I wish I'd known how to build an ark, but I didn't receive any DIY instructions from beyond. We're not out of the woods yet according to the meteorologists, but today is relatively dry, which allowed me to venture out to Volume Music (Sawdust Road, Woodlands TX: support your local record store!!). Bought the wife some 80's stuff she likes (mother's, birth and wedding day all this month), and managed to score myself some stuff I'm happy with:

Does WP belong in the Jazz Club? Of course it does. Half of this album has their best stuff ever. And that's the stuff with Alphonso Johnson on bass. I wish Jaco had joined Deep Purple or something, rather than make a wonderful band with two great leaders all about him.

Here's where he pays his dues to the 'cats' that inspired him, while putting the bar a helluva lot higher for his contemporaries, with the aid of Mr. Hubbard. "245" is the standout track for me. Will play it again tonight. Not the best album to listen to while cooking.

I don't think I'd ever heard an album with Joe Henderson as a leader. I have quite a few recordings with him as a band member (Lee Morgan, Herbie Hancock, McCoy Tyner). Prompted by the mighty C, I purchased Inner Urge. Listened to it once, just now. I wasn't blown over. Isotope is very good. It's dangerous for any performer to cover a classic like "Night & Day". He did, and he didn't pull it off, in my opinion. Requires more listening while under the influence.

"The crucial companion to Incarnations", the sticker says. Not sure what that means. Haven't played it. Looks like some sort of compilation. It's got Eric Dolphy, Charles McPherson (whose "From This Moment On" is excellent) and the mysterious Paul Bley on it. Tonight it's going Shropshire cheese, Taylor Fladgate Port (20 yr) and mucho Jazzzzzzz.

A nice list there Muddy

Robust stuff?

I think so

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 May 2024, 13:40

Yes Chris I bought a copy of the Glenn Miller Story when I was 13

Good stuff!

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 May 2024, 13:53

NP

A very robust album with Booker on trumpet

C
Robust

Postby C » 13 May 2024, 18:34

NP

Miles in Berlin - a live album from a performance at the Berliner Philharmonie on 25th September, 1964 with his "Second Great Quintet," featuring tenor saxophonist Wayne Shorter, pianist Herbie Hancock, bassist Ron Carter and Tony Williams on tubs, marking their first recorded work

Delightful

C
Robust

Postby C » 17 May 2024, 15:10

NP

It was recorded in 1965 and features performances by Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Harold Mabern, Bob Cranshaw and Billy Higgins.

Glorious

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 May 2024, 02:46

mudshark wrote:Dave Brubeck is an icon that should be mentioned in the same sentence as Trane, Miles, Coleman, Shorter, Mingus, Hancock etc. But he hardly ever is. Don't want to get into why that is. Maybe it's the lack of crimes and other misdemeanors. I hope he's been sending Fortnum & Mason Xmas hampers to Paul Desmond right up to 1977 (RIP). Without Paul no Dave. And vice versa, probably.

Try Henderson’s Mode For Joe on (Blue Note) my personal favorite. All of his (Blue Note) albums are worthy as are his Milestone discography.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 May 2024, 10:26

Six String wrote: All of his (Blue Note) albums are worthy as are his Milestone discography.

Agreed 100%

Page One with Kenny Dorham, McCoy Tyner, Butch Warren and Pete La Roca
Our Thing with Kenny Dorham, Andrew Hill, Eddie Khan and Pete La Roca Blue Note 1964
In 'n Out with Kenny Dorham, McCoy Tyner, Richard Davis and Elvin Jones Blue Note 1965
Inner Urge with McCoy Tyner, Bob Cranshaw and Elvin Jones Blue Note 1966
Mode for Joe with Lee Morgan, Curtis Fuller, Bobby Hutcherson, Cedar Walton, Ron Carter and Joe Chambers

I have a real soft spot for the debut but they are all fantastic

The live album Four! from 1968 is a corker too with Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb

C
Robust

Postby C » 21 May 2024, 19:36

NP

A very nice album

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 May 2024, 00:01

Late night listening:

Return to “Yakety Yak”