Miles Davis

Do talk back
C
Robust

Miles Davis

Postby C » 24 Dec 2023, 16:09

The first Miles album I bought was Bitches Brew in 1970, probably because John McLaughlin and the Weather Report boys were on it.

I then went forward - Jack Johnson, Live-Evil, but then started to go backwards - In a Silent Way, Filles de Kilimanjaro, Miles in the Sky, Nefertiti, Sorcerer, Miles Smiles and back and back....

So many great albums.

I have some of the lad's later 70s stuff - his later 'electric period' like Agharta, Pangaea and Dark Magus and stopped then really.

With worsen health as experienced in the above my interest waned.

I wasn't keen on his 80s stuff

My point is that Miles Davis made some fantastic stuff but my real Miles love is with the late 50s from great albums like Cookin', Miles Ahead, Milestones and Relaxin' to his mid/later 60s stuff like: ESP, Miles Ahead, Miles in the Sky and the aforementioned. Many with the great John Coltrane.

So what about you - where do you stand with Miles and what is your favourite period or albums.

For fans and quasi-fans alike

Join in!

Last edited by C on 01 Jan 2024, 11:31, edited 2 times in total.
Rorschach wrote:You, sir, are a destroyer of planets. A BCB Galactus if you will.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Miles Davis

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Dec 2023, 16:30

I like it all, pretty much. Maybe not Doobop and the soundtrack thingy, "Music From Fiesta". All I am really missing among the vital studio albums is "Walkin'", which I will get, if it's the last thing I ever do!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Postby robertff » 24 Dec 2023, 16:48

I’ve got roughly 10-12 of his albums, although I confess to not knowing any of them particularly well. I’ve got many of the highly rated obvious ones but again if you played one of them for me and asked me to say what it was I would have difficulty.

One of the ones I really like is ‘Ascenseur pour l’Echafaud’ particularly for its haunting quality. I heard this being played in Fopp, asked what it was and bought it very soon after.

As I’ve said before if I had another 50 years left in me, (the time it’s taken me to build my current collection of records), I’d probably amass a very large Jazz collection. As it is I’ve got quite a few.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Dec 2023, 17:11

I have all of the Columbia studio albums up through Jack Johnson, and some of the '50s Prestige ones. There are so many classics that picking my faves would simply be an indication of what mood I was in at that particular time.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 24 Dec 2023, 17:56

Indeed. It's impossible to name definitive favorites. I've always loved Bitches Brew, Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, the usual suspects. But recently I've picked up some of his albums with Milt Jackson, which I like as much, if not more (I love the sound of the xylophone). Great music. As well as a fantastic studio album with Bird and Monk. It's supposed to be 'flawed', according to the liner notes, because Parker was high and/or drunk, and as a result Miles was pissed off. If that was indeed the case, then I'm all for 'flawed'. I also bought "On the Corner", which I really like. I'm with C on this one though: He did some wonderful, groundbreaking stuff in the 70s and 80s, but I prefer the old school Miles of the 50s and 60s. His creative output in those years was beyond great.

Talking Jazz, I purchased Mingus' Tijuana Moods' (the original album) a couple of weeks ago. According to his own liner notes it contains the best music he's ever made, and I tend to agree. A certain Clarence Shaw plays trumpet on it. He's brilliant. The liner notes say that Charles lost track of him after the recordings and couldn't find him. Wiki says that Shaw threw away his instrument in 1957 after an argument with Mingus and retired. He's supposed to have come out of retirement briefly in the early 60s only to disappear into the unknown ("The Fourth Way", apparently) and die in 1973. He could have been a contender.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Dec 2023, 18:05

mudshark wrote:But recently I've picked up some of his albums with Milt Jackson, which I like as much, if not more (I love the sound of the xylophone). Great music.

Oh yes Erik!

This is a corker

I love Gary Burton's vibes too

Rorschach wrote:You, sir, are a destroyer of planets. A BCB Galactus if you will.

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Dec 2023, 18:11

I picked this 2CD set up recently. Very nice it is too

Last edited by C on 24 Dec 2023, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 24 Dec 2023, 18:12

That's the one that's spinning as I'm typing this. One thing wrong with it: too damn short. I think less than 15 minutes on each side.

NB: referring to the one with Milt, not with Trane.

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Dec 2023, 18:16

mudshark wrote:
NB: referring to the one with Milt, not with Trane.

Short and sweet Erik!

This is another I really enjoy

I love a drop of vibes me. Good old Bags

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 24 Dec 2023, 20:33

His trumpet solo on "Oh Patti" by Scritti Politti is pretty good :)

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Dec 2023, 21:52

ChrisB wrote:His trumpet solo on "Oh Patti" by Scritti Politti is pretty good :)

frimley_greener

Postby frimley_greener » 25 Dec 2023, 04:59

"I n a silent way" ,my particular favourite over many I rate very highly....but Mingus is my man :)
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Dec 2023, 09:02

frimley_greener wrote: Mingus is my man :)

Yes, the lad made some fantastic albums - Mingus Ah Um, Mingus Dynasty, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus come immediately to mind.

I know somebody, ten years older than me, a musician, who met Mingus. As we know, a bad tempered man who apparently hated being called 'Charlie'...

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 25 Dec 2023, 16:05

"Don't call me Charlie; that's not a man's name, that's a name for a horse".
Try Tijuana Moods, C. Los Mariachis is absolutely stunning.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Dec 2023, 10:03

C wrote:.

This is an absolute gem and going second hand for very cheap!

86 minutes of genius!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Miles-Davis-fe ... =8-2-fkmr0

DJF (Amazon) writes:

This is a fascinating, very well recorded 2CD collection featuring both sets from Miles' Spring 1960 tour opening Paris gigs, for the second set is one of the most infamous in Miles' history - the one where John Coltrane gets loudly booed. The first 45 minute set passes uneventfully with just three numbers performed: All Of You, So What and On Green Dolphin Street. There's no hint 0f audience unrest here, with Coltrane taking long solos in his 'Sheets of Sound' style, with excellent playing from the Quintet featuring Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb. But that's not the case by the second set. Walkin' is played with no hint of trouble, but during Bye Bye Blackbird Coltrane launches into a solo of such ferociously and length unrest becomes apparent, with loud boos from a large section of the audience protesting at Coltrane's then alien style and that he is taking more time soloing than Davis. This springs up again during Round About Midnight but this time to equally loud cheers in response, and by the time The Theme is played it's a very mixed closing response. The band throughout play extremely well technically and subsequent concerts from this tour show no hint of malice towards Coltrane. However the Sheets of Sound style was so new and technically not what this Paris audience were familiar with style wise that this is a complete one off. The music throughout is largely excellent, just the occasional bum note flys which is understandable at the start of a tour. This set is well presented and well recorded from a radio broadcast and probably the lowest cost way of purchasing these concerts which, together with the Autumn tour Olympia sets with Sonny Stitt can cost a pretty penny. All four concerts are available from this publisher at low cost with these two complementing the "All Of You - The Last Tour 1960" set well. Well worth buying for anyone who likes Miles' acoustic performances.

Unequivocally recommended and at a give away price

C
Robust

Postby C » 29 Dec 2023, 17:22

ONLY TWO LEFT!

C wrote:.

This is an absolute gem and going second hand for very cheap!

86 minutes of genius!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympia-Mar-20 ... B000063E14

DJF (Amazon) writes:

This is a fascinating, very well recorded 2CD collection featuring both sets from Miles' Spring 1960 tour opening Paris gigs, for the second set is one of the most infamous in Miles' history - the one where John Coltrane gets loudly booed. The first 45 minute set passes uneventfully with just three numbers performed: All Of You, So What and On Green Dolphin Street. There's no hint 0f audience unrest here, with Coltrane taking long solos in his 'Sheets of Sound' style, with excellent playing from the Quintet featuring Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Jimmy Cobb. But that's not the case by the second set. Walkin' is played with no hint of trouble, but during Bye Bye Blackbird Coltrane launches into a solo of such ferociously and length unrest becomes apparent, with loud boos from a large section of the audience protesting at Coltrane's then alien style and that he is taking more time soloing than Davis. This springs up again during Round About Midnight but this time to equally loud cheers in response, and by the time The Theme is played it's a very mixed closing response. The band throughout play extremely well technically and subsequent concerts from this tour show no hint of malice towards Coltrane. However the Sheets of Sound style was so new and technically not what this Paris audience were familiar with style wise that this is a complete one off. The music throughout is largely excellent, just the occasional bum note flys which is understandable at the start of a tour. This set is well presented and well recorded from a radio broadcast and probably the lowest cost way of purchasing these concerts which, together with the Autumn tour Olympia sets with Sonny Stitt can cost a pretty penny. All four concerts are available from this publisher at low cost with these two complementing the "All Of You - The Last Tour 1960" set well. Well worth buying for anyone who likes Miles' acoustic performances.

Unequivocally recommended and at a give away price

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Miles Davis [SEE RED BARGAIN!]

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 Dec 2023, 17:59

I was playing pool with some friends last night and we were listening to music on our phones. A '50s Miles song came on and I thought it was from Milestones, but was informed that it was a track from one of the Prestige albums released earlier.

Sounded fantastic.

C
Robust

Postby C » 31 Dec 2023, 14:51

'
Jazzrook wrote:

This remarkable concert at the Paris Olympia in March 1960 features the same group (less Cannonball Adderley) that recorded 'Freddie Freeloader' on Miles Davis's classic album 'Kind of Blue' a year or so earlier but they sound very different here. John Coltrane was reluctant to be part of this European tour and was anxious to leave Miles and start his own band. Despite this he's in absolutely blistering form although some members of the audience are clearly perturbed by the intensity of his playing. The recording quality is excellent and it's a mystery why this concert hasn't received more attention.
This marvellous double CD is essential listening for all Miles & Coltrane fans and anyone who appreciates intense modern jazz

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 01 Jan 2024, 05:55

If Miles' catalogue were a dartboard, i could pretty much hit any part of it and feel like i got the bullseye.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Jan 2024, 10:27

Surely a treble twenty would be better…..?

;)

Return to “Yakety Yak”