Paul Ryder RIP

Do talk back
Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Paul Ryder RIP

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 15 Jul 2022, 18:00

He lived hard.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

mudshark

Re: Paul Ryder RIP

Postby mudshark » 15 Jul 2022, 18:16

Who he?
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Jul 2022, 18:34

Happy Mondays bassist (brother of Shaun). RIP.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jul 2022, 18:35

Positive passion wrote:He lived hard.

Yeah.

Sail on, Paul!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Jul 2022, 20:06

I think he may have some connection to the old women on my street. The street WhatsApp group my wife's part of posted an article about it, and Moira and Angela both posted about how awful it must be for poor Linda.

It's generally not a rock n roll pills n' thrills kinda cul-de-sac, given we're the youngest residents.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Jul 2022, 12:14

Back iin the day, just before the Mondays really took off, circa Bummed, I was guest listed for their show at Brighton's Top Rank. They were - with the possible exception of the Stone Roses - the biggest, most up and comingest band of the time. The gig was great from what I remember. The highlight was an awsome Wrote For Luck.

I was also invited to the after show party at the Zap Club. This was my zenith as far as being 'with it' was concerned. Because I booked all the bands at the poly I knew the Mondays' agent who was also called Shaun IIRC - he never offered me The Mondays which is a shame but I had Cud on and a couple of his other more minor acts. He asked me if he could borrow £10 when I had Cud on. He said he needed to get a taxi because his mrs had - apparently - just given birth... surprisingly, I never saw that again.He did send me a poster for the Mondays' 'Madchester' GMex gig though which I still have somewhere.

Anyhoo, at the after party in the then legendary Zap Club the Mondays and their entourage hung out in the VIP area which was on a kind a minstrels' gallery affair behind and above the bar, from whence they surveyed the debauchery like Roman emperors. I don't think I have ever met a more wasted bunch of people, totally incapacitated and uncommunicative. I must have met them after their post-gig 'refreshment' so I can't say whether they were a nice bunch of lads or not.

So meeting the Mondays was a bit of a non-event. Sorry :)
Paul was a pretty decent bass player though.

RIP the Horseman.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 22 Jul 2022, 13:31

Deebank wrote:Back iin the day, just before the Mondays really took off, circa Bummed, I was guest listed for their show at Brighton's Top Rank. They were - with the possible exception of the Stone Roses - the biggest, most up and comingest band of the time. The gig was great from what I remember. The highlight was an awsome Wrote For Luck.

I was also invited to the after show party at the Zap Club. This was my zenith as far as being 'with it' was concerned. Because I booked all the bands at the poly I knew the Mondays' agent who was also called Shaun IIRC - he never offered me The Mondays which is a shame but I had Cud on and a couple of his other more minor acts. He asked me if he could borrow £10 when I had Cud on. He said he needed to get a taxi because his mrs had - apparently - just given birth... surprisingly, I never saw that again.He did send me a poster for the Mondays' 'Madchester' GMex gig though which I still have somewhere.

Anyhoo, at the after party in the then legendary Zap Club the Mondays and their entourage hung out in the VIP area which was on a kind a minstrels' gallery affair behind and above the bar, from whence they surveyed the debauchery like Roman emperors. I don't think I have ever met a more wasted bunch of people, totally incapacitated and uncommunicative. I must have met them after their post-gig 'refreshment' so I can't say whether they were a nice bunch of lads or not.

So meeting the Mondays was a bit of a non-event. Sorry :)
Paul was a pretty decent bass player though.

RIP the Horseman.

:lol:
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Return to “Yakety Yak”