The Doors

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

The Doors

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Jun 2022, 14:41

Thrift shop bonanza this morning, 3 for a quid (I bought 27). They had "Waiting for the Sun" by the Doors, and I thought, to hell with it, I'll give them another chance. I had not heard that album in something like 30 years, so when I got home I banged it in the player. All was fine, until I got to "The Unknown Soldier". That one sums up everything that is wrong with the Doors, it is so utterly pretentious. "My Wild Love" is not very good, either. The album picks up again a little later, but a comp is really enough for Morrison and co. "We Could Be So Good Together" is up now, but the CD is already destined for Accord. This stinker has been reissued 345 times!

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Re: The Doors

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 15:05

I love The Doors, nothing at all wrong with that album. Loads of albums were pretentious in the 60s, particularly the late 60s, heck what could be more pretentious than ‘All You Need Is Love’ and everything else that went with it?

Better get back to James Last then Googa!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Jun 2022, 16:16

If the first two LPs are classics, then WFTS is almost one.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 20 Jun 2022, 16:51

I happen to think "utterly pretentious" is something that rock and roll can do well.
you forgot "Five to One" which is a Godzilla-like monster of a thing.

I'm not objective. I got it when it was new. I didn't get a lot of records when they were new. I liked listening to records more than I liked a lot of other things in those days. the record is part of my inner workings one way of the other.

I used to look at the cover and wish I would grow one day to look as cool as Ray Manzarek. I never did. :(
uggy poopy doody.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Jun 2022, 18:35

It's got some good tracks, especially the opening track. But four clunkers is too much. I am lazy and I hate having to program skip.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Jun 2022, 18:36

Matt Wilson wrote:If the first two LPs are classics, then WFTS is almost one.

LA Woman is the only album I've got otherwise. Plus a comp.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Jun 2022, 19:16

robertff wrote:

There's more to me than James Last. A lot more. But I do think James Last is way superior to the Doors. There's just no comparison.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 20 Jun 2022, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

robertff

Postby robertff » 20 Jun 2022, 19:38

GoogaMooga wrote:
robertff wrote:

There's more to me than James last. A lot more. But I do think James Last is way superior to the Doors. There's just no comparison.

Even if people dislike the Doors intensely on this board I don’t think you’ll find many here who would agree with the inferred link between your last two sentences. But you are correct with one of them - there really is no comparison.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Jun 2022, 19:42

Easy listening gets short shrift on this board, always has. Manzarek could never do arrangements like Hansi. Conversely, Hansi could not write a rock hit even if he wanted to. Apples and oranges.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 20 Jun 2022, 19:59

GoogaMooga wrote:
There's more to me than James Last. A lot more. But I do think James Last is way superior to the Doors. There's just no comparison.

Utter piffle. Possibly the wrongest thing ever posted on BCB. You may prefer James Last which is your prerogative, but to say there is no comparison is just nonsense.
We're way past rhubarb

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Jun 2022, 20:05

The Fish wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:

Utter piffle. Possibly the wrongest thing ever posted on BCB. You may prefer James Last which is your prerogative, but to say there is no comparison is just nonsense.

Read my last post right above yours. Do you honestly think Manzarek could arrange music like Last did?

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 20 Jun 2022, 20:15

Maybe Last can arrange music. So what. Manzarek is a keyboard player.Last can probably arrange music better that Dylan McCartney, Springsteen and a million others doesn't mean I want to hear it. Totally pointless argument. I judge music by what I hear and Last is just plain dull.
We're way past rhubarb

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Jun 2022, 20:21

The Fish wrote:Maybe Last can arrange music. So what. Manzarek is a keyboard player.Last can probably arrange music better that Dylan McCartney, Springsteen and a million others doesn't mean I want to hear it. Totally pointless argument. I judge music by what I hear and Last is just plain dull.

So it's down to taste, then. Not ability. Last is not the best easy listening orchestra leader, not by a long shot, but he is the most prolific, and if you like that sort of music, there's no way around him. Doesn't mean you need it all. Fifty or so albums will do. ;)
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 20 Jun 2022, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 20 Jun 2022, 20:44

Of course it's down to tase not ability. That should be self evident
We're way past rhubarb

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 20 Jun 2022, 20:54

Now you've made me go and put on a Last album. :D I chose "Bella Italia". Last usually makes themed albums. So if it's schlager or oompah loompah marching music, I just skip those. I don't have to program the skip function if I choose a themed album that appeals to my taste. So already there he has an advantage.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 20 Jun 2022, 21:04

Only BCB (or maybe only Googa is more correct) can turn a Doors thread into a James Last thread. :lol:

As for the Doors, I certainly don't love them unconditionally - they definitely had some misfires. But I don't think any of those issues have to do with not being more like James Last, though the tinkly piano on "Riders on the Storm" might veer somewhat close to easy listening, anyway. Does Last have any bad poetry I can use to compare? :lol:
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 20 Jun 2022, 23:18

Pretentious is when somebody tries for import or significance and fails. If they don't fail, it actually is important or significant. The Doors are an interesting case because while they were indeed trying for something important and while I don't think they (always) succeeded, I still like the sound of them doing it anyway. Part of it is literally the sound. If they sounded like every other band, it wouldn't be as interesting. But they created their own sound world in which to express a variety of ideas. I don't see the harm in that, and quite often I enjoy it. The first three records are perfect, something about the first flush of ideas a band has. The next three have more blues influences — they seem to be less creative, and maybe start sounding more like other bands — so are less interesting and less varied. And they stopped there. It's a shame the reason, but it had the effect of keeping their oeuvre short and sweet.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 27 Jun 2022, 03:39

Isn't "Spanish Caravan" on that one? I love that track. But 'Waiting for the Sun' is no 'Strange Days.'
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Yakety Yak”