CD sales on the rise again

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

CD sales on the rise again

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Jun 2022, 20:22

Could the shiny platter be making a comeback? That would be both good and bad, good because we'll be still able to get players and replacement cases, but bad because it will drive up collector's prices for oop CDs:

https://www.whathifi.com/features/every ... HJQWQ8UDIA
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Pool Hall Richard

Re: CD sales on the rise again

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 12 Jun 2022, 21:51

I havent stopped buying them, about 50/50 with vinyl but its the new and used vinyl cost that gotten stupid i find cd is much better to go for.

I tend to go up to Berwick St and Fopp every few months, to be honest secondhand cds are what i head for, ridiculously low prices, its wonderful. Long may that continue

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 13 Jun 2022, 00:16

I still play CDs in the car .......at moment there is the latest by Drive by truckers, Michael Head, The Smile, Belle and Sebastian, Arcade Fire and Black Keys.....never had a problem with them, to be honest.Ok, they're not as desirable as albums but far preferable to play lists. I prefer to listen to full albums rather than be a dilettante.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Jun 2022, 01:46

Nice to know Berwick Street is still a thriving place for CD. I think if you take good care of them, used CDs can be every bit as collectable as vinyl. CD for me, all the way.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 Jun 2022, 15:34

Prefer LPs (okay vinyl if we must) but happy still to buy CDs. CDs easily remains the physical format that sells in most numbers and will continue to do so most probably as LPs are so expensive in comparison.

On the whole I'm also happy to buy new and particularly second hand CDs as invariably they are absolutely fine to buy and cost little more than a few pence. In fact I went out to a boot fair yesterday with the intention of buying some, sadly nothing grabbed my attention though.

With regard to CDs becoming collectable though, I'm not so sure, certainly not in the way LPs are. Okay, some CDs are hard to find or OOP and they command a reasonably inflated price but I can't really see them fetching hundreds or even thousands of pounds in the way that rare LPs do. I hope I'm wrong as I 've got loads of them but just can't see it happening at present or anytime soon. I think of a time when the original CD of Dennis Wilson's Pacific Ocean Blue was rare and selling for loads of money and then it was re-released as a 2CD deluxe edition for a few pounds - the original's value dropped like a stone and is highly unlikely to ever rise again.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 Jun 2022, 18:08

For older records, it's all a matter of what format it was made for, or sometimes how attached I am to a particular version or mix. I think this might be a function of 80s and 90s music making a comeback, and people having bought them on CD originally.

All well and good as far as I'm concerned - people should have access to music in whatever format they prefer - but it's a little annoying that the record companies now try to sell us ALL the formats, even if it makes no sense. New music on cassettes? What possible reason could there be for that, other than they can?
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

robertff

Postby robertff » 13 Jun 2022, 19:01

toomanyhatz wrote:For older records, it's all a matter of what format it was made for, or sometimes how attached I am to a particular version or mix. I think this might be a function of 80s and 90s music making a comeback, and people having bought them on CD originally.

All well and good as far as I'm concerned - people should have access to music in whatever format they prefer - but it's a little annoying that the record companies now try to sell us ALL the formats, even if it makes no sense. New music on cassettes? What possible reason could there be for that, other than they can?

I have a friend who will lap up the decision to issue things on cassette. When he bought a new car during the late 90s he had it made with a fitted cassette player rather than CD. They are out there you know.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 Jun 2022, 19:27

Well, as I've said here before, I just don't get it - it's a terrible format in every possible technical sense, wears out quicker than any other, and is probably more expensive to produce at this point for good measure.

But yeah - they are out there. It takes all kinds. Just still mystifies me.

Probably makes some sense in the hip-hop world, since the 'mixtape' is still a thing, but nowhere else I can think of (other than for those weirdos out there still attached to it - at least 8-tracks have some kitsch value!)
Footy wrote:
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 13 Jun 2022, 20:31

I’m with hatz.

Alas, good luck finding a new car or computer that comes with something that’ll play a cd.

I still buy em, of course.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Jun 2022, 21:20

I think the cassette made a comeback due to demand from the hipsters, who weren't even born when they were around the first time. They see the format as something exotic. It can be likened to the rustic charm of old VHS tapes.

C
Robust

Postby C » 13 Jun 2022, 21:43

I still buy them

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 13 Jun 2022, 22:31

nope stream everything now except once in a while I play some vinyl(usually my classical or jazz rare stuff)

no desire to buy hard copies of anything.

toomanyhatz

Postby toomanyhatz » 13 Jun 2022, 22:33

GoogaMooga wrote:I think the cassette made a comeback due to demand from the hipsters, who weren't even born when they were around the first time. They see the format as something exotic. It can be likened to the rustic charm of old VHS tapes.

Maybe so, but it proves my long-held suspicion that hipsters are, by-and-large, not very bright.

VHS may have 'rustic charm' but at least when they were popular they were the only game in town. It's still pretty common that stuff only released on VHS will be obtained, and often digitized. I guess there are some cassette-only releases that it's true of, but far less. VHS has limited practical value now, but it has considerably more value than music on cassette, unless your garage band recorded stuff that way (mine did).

It seems to be more hip the less practical purpose it has. Which is just dumb, imo.
Footy wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Jun 2022, 23:30

I've sold about 6 used cds in the past 4 days for over $100 total, so I know first-hand people still want to buy the things.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Jun 2022, 00:58

toomanyhatz wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I think the cassette made a comeback due to demand from the hipsters, who weren't even born when they were around the first time. They see the format as something exotic. It can be likened to the rustic charm of old VHS tapes.

Maybe so, but it proves my long-held suspicion that hipsters are, by-and-large, not very bright.

VHS may have 'rustic charm' but at least when they were popular they were the only game in town. It's still pretty common that stuff only released on VHS will be obtained, and often digitized. I guess there are some cassette-only releases that it's true of, but far less. VHS has limited practical value now, but it has considerably more value than music on cassette, unless your garage band recorded stuff that way (mine did).

It seems to be more hip the less practical purpose it has. Which is just dumb, imo.

VHS is still collected for the many films that only made it to that format.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Jun 2022, 17:20

A sealed VHS tape of Back to the Future from 1985 has fetched a record-breaking $75,000 at Heritage Auctions. The tape was previously owned by Tom Wilson, who played the bully Biff in the movie. Time for a rummage in the attic?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 Jun 2022, 17:05

There's lots of cd's (new and sealed) going for 5 €.

Record fairs have them for 3 or 4 €. You can even get some of the sought after ones for that price if the dealer doesn't know or care what he's selling.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Jun 2022, 21:27

There's also lots going for £50 and up.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 17 Jun 2022, 08:34

GoogaMooga wrote:There's also lots going for £50 and up.

Indeed. But don't fall for that, just wait there's a better opportunity just around the corner.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

robertff

Postby robertff » 17 Jun 2022, 09:07

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:There's also lots going for £50 and up.

Indeed. But don't fall for that, just wait there's a better opportunity just around the corner.

Definitely.

Return to “Yakety Yak”