The Smile. Why the wait for a physical copy?

Do talk back
Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

The Smile. Why the wait for a physical copy?

Postby Neil Jung » 19 May 2022, 09:22

The new album by Radiohead offshoot The Smile is now on streaming services but you can’t buy the CD for another month. By that time some potential buyers may have lost interest. Fleet Foxes last album Shore was months later coming to CD.

Anyone know why bands do this?

And what do you think of the album?
“Erratic associate member”

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Re: The Smile. Why the wait for a physical copy?

Postby ChrisB » 19 May 2022, 11:06

Neil Jung wrote:do this?

And what do you think of the album?

Just played it the once so far, and it sounds fantastic. As for the original question, I have no idea.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 May 2022, 16:03

Maybe I'll check on that new album. Frankly, I haven't listened to anything by them after Kid A/Amnesiac. Those 2, with OK Computer are fantastic. How does the new one compare?

I think these days artists make a lot more money from streaming services than from CD sales. So, it's streaming first and then a CD/Vinyl release as an afterthought for the weird people.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 19 May 2022, 18:40

mudshark wrote:Maybe I'll check on that new album. Frankly, I haven't listened to anything by them after Kid A/Amnesiac. Those 2, with OK Computer are fantastic. How does the new one compare?

I think these days artists make a lot more money from streaming services than from CD sales. So, it's streaming first and then a CD/Vinyl release as an afterthought for the weird people.

You really should check out In Rainbows, Hail To The Thief and A Moon Shaped Pool. All fantastic.

I haven’t played the new one enough to make a judgment.

robertff

Postby robertff » 19 May 2022, 19:15

mudshark wrote:

Haven’t heard the album but I reckon Mudshark’s answer to your question is very probably correct, as steaming represents something like 70% - 80%+ of all music purchases - read that somewhere recently.

As a ‘weird’ person I’m happy to wait.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 May 2022, 19:47

I'm like you, Robert. I usually take a quick peak at an album through Qobuz or something like that, and if I like it I buy it. I but like in the old days, when the record shops had entire listening areas with head phones and plastic boards on which you could roll your joint(s).

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 19 May 2022, 22:33

I want to buy it now. Instead I’ll have to listen on Spotify and after 4 weeks I may have lost interest and may not bother buying it.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 May 2022, 22:55

But you're in the minority my friend! 7 out of 10 are not interested in buying the real thing. They're happy to check the artwork on their device and leave the music in the clouds.

Return to “Yakety Yak”