return of the live gigs

Do talk back
Hightea

return of the live gigs

Postby Hightea » 05 May 2022, 15:38

Back on the live performance trail! Last night we saw the quirky hippie Memphis Belle Valerie June. Was nice to go to a venue that everyone was complying with the mask requirement. Been to a few where that wasn't so. Valerie had a full band with her last night including a choir and horn section for a few songs. She told a bunch of funny stories and had the audience do a little meditative breathing exercise. While she has a crazy vocal song her band and music is a bizarre mix of folk, blues, gospel, soul, country, Appalachian and bluegrass.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: return of the live gigs

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 May 2022, 15:48

Yeah, my daughter went to Coachella and actually crowd surfed. She said most people weren't wearings masks either. I guess young people don't worry about this kind of thing like we do.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 May 2022, 15:54

Matt Wilson wrote:Yeah, my daughter went to Coachella and actually crowd surfed. She said most people weren't wearings masks either. I guess young people don't worry about this kind of thing like we do.

well at least Coachella is outside although yeah crowd surfing doesn't sound like a good thing to do.
Got a prog show tonight (Pineapple Thief with Gavin Harrison) not expecting much mask wearing as NYC has dropped the mandate and no checking of being vaccinated. Went top see Hackett a few weeks ago and it was about 50/50 masks and no one at the venue cared, same with Eddie Vedder show a few weeks ago although that was about 70/30 mask wearing and staff was going around with a sign saying wear mask but no enforcement.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 May 2022, 16:11

Damn, Steve - you must spend as much on concerts as I do CD box sets!

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 May 2022, 16:24

Matt Wilson wrote:Damn, Steve - you must spend as much on concerts as I do CD box sets!

stopped buy hard copies of music years ago. Pay for streaming and the rest of my music income goes to concerts. :lol:
Actually next week is the concert expense 3 Tori Amos shows including one in Maine then wrap it up with Supergrass, a ticket I've had for over 2 years. :lol:
Note last night was a freebie friend works for Sirius and gets free tickets all the time.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 May 2022, 16:25

5/5/22 - HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO
After a nice Cinco meal in the city we headed to see Pineapple Thief with Gavin Harrison.
We saw Pineapple Thief a number of yeas ago at NEARfest where they put on an amazing show.
This time they have added Gavin who certainly gave them another great sound.
After seeing Gavin with King Crimson the last bunch of years it was nice to see him free to play his own style instead of having to deal with Fripp.
PT are sort of a mix of prog meets alt rock vibe. Last night I heard echo's of Radiohead, Muse and Smashing Pumpkins. They may lack a bit in songwriting and lyrics but thought they are good enough for a very enjoyable show. C would say claptrap but I think they have a nice unique sound.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 May 2022, 18:40

Pineapple Thief were at Orlando the day I arrived there. Sadly it had sold out before I got tickets.

Am on Cruise To The Edge now. Last day. Seen tons of gigs by Al Di Meola, Marillion, Riverside, Wishbone Ash, McStine & Minneman (Randy just got invited to play with Porcupine Tree on their upcoming tour), Saga, Adam Holzman, Lifesigns, Simon Phillips Protocol, Alan Parsons, Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Martin Barre, Jakko Jaczyk, Adrian Belew, Goblin, Nektar, Moon Safari, Stu Hamm, Fernando Perdomo, McBroom Sisters, Al Stewart, Haken, Pain Of Salvation and many more....
Mind-blowing experience. Heartily recommend.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 06 May 2022, 19:37

never/ever wrote:Pineapple Thief were at Orlando the day I arrived there. Sadly it had sold out before I got tickets.

Am on Cruise To The Edge now. Last day. Seen tons of gigs by Al Di Meola, Marillion, Riverside, Wishbone Ash, McStine & Minneman (Randy just got invited to play with Porcupine Tree on their upcoming tour), Saga, Adam Holzman, Lifesigns, Simon Phillips Protocol, Alan Parsons, Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Martin Barre, Jakko Jaczyk, Adrian Belew, Goblin, Nektar, Moon Safari, Stu Hamm, Fernando Perdomo, McBroom Sisters, Al Stewart, Haken, Pain Of Salvation and many more....

nice had thought of doing one of these but frightened by the crowd on this type of cruise.
great lineup and yes heard about Randy playing on the PT tour which I've got tickets for in the fall.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 May 2022, 04:58

Hightea wrote:
never/ever wrote:Pineapple Thief were at Orlando the day I arrived there. Sadly it had sold out before I got tickets.

nice had thought of doing one of these but frightened by the crowd on this type of cruise.
great lineup and yes heard about Randy playing on the PT tour which I've got tickets for in the fall.

The crowds are fine. Obviously we don't know if COVID has run through the passengers but outside of a few people testing positive before the cruise happened, no big deal is made of it.

Incidentally , one time BCB-member Jon Kirkman is hosting this....

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 May 2022, 04:58

Hightea wrote:

The crowds are fine. Obviously we don't know if COVID has run through the passengers but outside of a few people testing positive before the cruise happened, no big deal is made of it.

Incidentally , one time BCB-member Jon Kirkman is hosting this....

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 May 2022, 05:30

never/ever wrote:...Fernando Perdomo...

He's everywhere! I can't say he's a close friend or anything, but a bit of a pal - we've appeared onstage together a few times at least. He was also the "Todd Rundgren" at the Nazz semi-reunion a few years ago (with original drummer Thom Mooney, who I consider a friend though I haven't seen him in years).

Anyway, I presume you saw him play with multiple bands...he tends to do that. :D I've been following his Facebook posts - glad you're both having fun.

Not a big 'cruise' guy, but if I ever did one it'd probably be that one - I know Strawbs have played them a couple times.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 May 2022, 12:19

toomanyhatz wrote:

He's everywhere! I can't say he's a close friend or anything, but a bit of a pal - we've appeared onstage together a few times at least. He was also the "Todd Rundgren" at the Nazz semi-reunion a few years ago (with original drummer Thom Mooney, who I consider a friend though I haven't seen him in years).

Anyway, I presume you saw him play with multiple bands...he tends to do that. :D I've been following his Facebook posts - glad you're both having fun.

Not a big 'cruise' guy, but if I ever did one it'd probably be that one - I know Strawbs have played them a couple times.

Fernando did spread himself everywhere, playing with Dave Kerzner, the McBroom Sisters, Nektar bit also having his own gig with the Out To Sea-band, promoting his own material.
You'll find he no longer has his signature hat as he donated this to a charity auction on board for Casey MacPherson.

Just docking at Port Canaveral now. Epic event, thoroughly enjoyed it all. It's back next year and I'm pretty much commited to go. Mahavishnu Orchestra Project featuring Jerry Goodman seems to be the only act confirmed for that.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 May 2022, 19:36

never/ever wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:

Fernando did spread himself everywhere, playing with Dave Kerzner, the McBroom Sisters, Nektar bit also having his own gig with the Out To Sea-band, promoting his own material.
You'll find he no longer has his signature hat as he donated this to a charity auction on board for Casey MacPherson.

Just docking at Port Canaveral now. Epic event, thoroughly enjoyed it all. It's back next year and I'm pretty much commited to go. Mahavishnu Orchestra Project featuring Jerry Goodman seems to be the only act confirmed for that.

How was Nektar without Roye. See Mo is back so I'm assuming that Roye and Mo didn't get along?

I've been tempted to go but not a cruise guy prefer to just go to each island.

On with my crazy month went to see Nilüfer Yanya who I've been a fan of the last few years but under Covid couldn't see live. She is of "Irish and Barbadian heritage and her father is Turkish. Yanya grew up in Chelsea, London listening to Turkish music and classical music playing at home." Nilüfer on her third album has a unique voice and a band mostly of distorted instrumentals with at times a sax player. I Like her first album a bit more then the new one as it was a bit more diverse. Her live blend of both albums was wonderful.
Had a feeling she had a PJ influence and she proved it with a cover of Rid of Me.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 May 2022, 23:05

Sadly Nektar wasn't too great. Presented their new album and played RTF side 2 but it sounded tired and a bit amateurish. Still good to see them but they need a spark.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 09 May 2022, 14:59

never/ever wrote:Sadly Nektar wasn't too great. Presented their new album and played RTF side 2 but it sounded tired and a bit amateurish. Still good to see them but they need a spark.

yeah that is what I thought from what I heard. Glad I passed on them earlier this spring.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 09 May 2022, 17:22

Last week I ventured out to the Boileroom in Guildford to see Canada’s wonderful Besnard Lakes. I have all their albums apart from the debut and thought if I didn’t go, who would? I took along a couple of friends who I’d got to listen to the band in advance. Nobody apart from a couple of staff members wore masks, in case you were wondering. The 5 piece played for the best part of two hours to an appreciative crowd of maybe 120.
If you haven’t heard them, I’d recommend them. Maybe think Beach Boys meet Slowdive / My Bloody Valentine/ Spiritualized.
“Erratic associate member”

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 09 May 2022, 17:48

Neil Jung wrote:Last week I ventured out to the Boileroom in Guildford to see Canada’s wonderful Besnard Lakes. I have all their albums apart from the debut and thought if I didn’t go, who would? I took along a couple of friends who I’d got to listen to the band in advance. Nobody apart from a couple of staff members wore masks, in case you were wondering. The 5 piece played for the best part of two hours to an appreciative crowd of maybe 120.
If you haven’t heard them, I’d recommend them. Maybe think Beach Boys meet Slowdive / My Bloody Valentine/ Spiritualized.

Haven't heard their last two album should take a listen. I saw them back in 00's good band. Forgot they were Canadian.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 May 2022, 19:57

Hightea wrote:5/5/22 - HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO
After a nice Cinco meal in the city we headed to see Pineapple Thief with Gavin Harrison.
We saw Pineapple Thief a number of yeas ago at NEARfest where they put on an amazing show.
This time they have added Gavin who certainly gave them another great sound.
After seeing Gavin with King Crimson the last bunch of years it was nice to see him free to play his own style instead of having to deal with Fripp.
PT are sort of a mix of prog meets alt rock vibe. Last night I heard echo's of Radiohead, Muse and Smashing Pumpkins. They may lack a bit in songwriting and lyrics but thought they are good enough for a very enjoyable show. C would say claptrap but I think they have a nice unique sound.

guess Fripp got in Gavin's ear, they took down my videos. :lol:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 13 May 2022, 15:30

This week it was two nights at Tori Amos at the Kings Theatre in far Brooklyn. Both days took me two hours of traffic to get there and then to my disappointment they closed the mall parking area behind the venue and made us look for street parking. The first day this wasn't a problem but last night it took another 30 minutes to park and then had to walk another 20 minutes to the venue. Complete disaster might not return ever to the beautiful Kings Theatre. Although had some nice Jamaican empanadas and fish balls for dinner. Note: the Kings Theatre is by where Barbara Streisand lived as a girl. She told her mom(?) one day I'll see my name in lights on that marquee.

Tori tour this time was with the band(bass and drums) which always leads to a more lively crowd and performance and she tends to jam and do little opening interludes keeping her fans guessing what she will play next. Tour for covid and a new drummer has about 9 songs that she is playing every night (something she really has never done). Still both shows had its gems. She played one of her new very sad song (Flowers Burn to Gold) about her mom who past 3 years ago. This hit me as my mom past 4 years ago. She has been playing her song Russia and Mother Revolution almost every night because of the war. Highlights for me were - Josephine, Black dove, Take to the Sky, Tear in your hand, Past the Mission, Juarez and Here. In My Head.

First night I was front row(non pit) last seat on the left so I could stand and walk up to the stage.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Jun 2022, 15:05

After two nights of Tori we drove up to Maine for another Tori show.
After 1 1/2 dozen Damariscotta River Oysters and a lobster roll walked over to Tori playing in downtown Portland.
As the tour goes with the band Tori starts to really improv parts of songs and the setlist grows with interesting picks,
Highlights were Liquid Diamonds, Doughnut Song (Wonder if she got a potato doughnut down the road), Father's Son with Riders on the storm interlude,
Never Seen Blue.

Return to “Yakety Yak”