Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Celluloid Heroes

Postby Snarfyguy » 10 Dec 2021, 02:36

You can see all the stars as you walk down Hollywood Boulevard
Some that you recognize, some that you've hardly even heard of
People who worked and suffered and struggled for fame
Some who succeeded and some who suffered in vain

The ones who suffered in vain wouldn't actually have stars on Hollywood Boulevard, though, would they? So the pathos kind of doesn't make sense.

Otherwise it's fine, of course.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

pcqgod

Re: Celluloid Heroes

Postby pcqgod » 10 Dec 2021, 04:48

That always bothered me too, lol. I think John Mendelsohn nitpicked it for similar reasons, among others.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Dec 2021, 05:22

pcqgod wrote:I think John Mendelsohn nitpicked it for similar reasons, among others.

He did - some of those reasons quite silly ones. But this one resonated with me: "Ray introduces the wimpy - yes, let it be said! - this-is-really-heartfelt voice without which he'd henceforth seem to imagine his audience incapable of recognizing when he was trying to be touching." One could argue that it's not that far from the voice of, say, "Waterloo Sunset", but it really does seem more affected and patronizing here. But then, I never much liked the song, so maybe that's just my bias talkin'.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 10 Dec 2021, 08:36

Wonderful song, right up there with Waterloo Sunset for me. In the biblical sense the term “suffer in vain” doesn’t mean the failure to succeed, but that the success itself did not achieve anything ie they were still lonely , sad or unhappy.

Also brilliant in the irony of the “Stars” are literally walked all over by the “common people”.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Dec 2021, 11:30

Mike Boom wrote: In the biblical sense the term “suffer in vain” doesn’t mean the failure to succeed, but that the success itself did not achieve anything ie they were still lonely , sad or unhappy.

Yes, that's what i was gonna say.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Dec 2021, 05:18

fange wrote:
Mike Boom wrote: In the biblical sense the term “suffer in vain” doesn’t mean the failure to succeed, but that the success itself did not achieve anything ie they were still lonely , sad or unhappy.

That seems reasonable, but Ray posits that "success" is measured by renown rather than happiness or self-fulfillment.

Nobody gets a star for being happy!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 22 Dec 2021, 05:01

:D

Well, YOU get a participation star, Snarf.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 22 Dec 2021, 13:55

Snarfyguy wrote:
fange wrote:

That seems reasonable, but Ray posits that "success" is measured by renown rather than happiness or self-fulfillment.

Nobody gets a star for being happy!

Which is exactly true on Hollywood Boulevard!