The Seekers California Dreamin' 1966

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

The Seekers California Dreamin' 1966

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 04:26

Presenting to you, the incomparable Judith Durham:

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: The Seekers California Dreamin' 1966

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Nov 2021, 05:54

Why anyone other than the Mamas and Papas bothers to sing that song is beyond me.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 Nov 2021, 07:00

Matt Wilson wrote:Why anyone other than the Mamas and Papas bothers to sing that song is beyond me.

You don't like the Beach Boys version? I really like it.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 07:03

Matt Wilson wrote:Why anyone other than the Mamas and Papas bothers to sing that song is beyond me.

Mamas and the Papas is the definitive version, to be sure, but I have time for other versions. I think the following recordings hold their own:

Seekers (Judith Durham, the finest voice in pop/folk)
Beach Boys (superior guitar intro)
José Feliciano
Wes Montgomery (jazz instrumental)

Would I swap Mamas & the Papas for Judith Durham? No, but I'm glad it's there.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 24 Nov 2021, 07:32

I quite like Georgy Girl, though I suspect it's more out of nostalgia than anything else, but I don't much like the Seekers outside of that.
Judith Durham has a fine, sweet voice but I don't think she can actually sing. Sure, she hits the notes but her delivery is so sterile to my ears that she may as well be sight reading the song without ever having heard it before.
The Mamas and Papas sound like they actually really are missing California while the Seekers just sound like they're singing a song about missing California.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 07:46

Rorschach wrote:I quite like Georgy Girl, though I suspect it's more out of nostalgia than anything else, but I don't much like the Seekers outside of that.
Judith Durham has a fine, sweet voice but I don't think she can actually sing. Sure, she hits the notes but her delivery is so sterile to my ears that she may as well be sight reading the song without ever having heard it before.
The Mamas and Papas sound like they actually really are missing California while the Seekers just sound like they're singing a song about missing California.

Seekers' version lacks the edge that Mamas & the Papas has got, but to claim that Judith Durham can't sing is laughable. You are the first person I have ever come across who says Judith Durham can't sing, but you are of course in your good right to have that opinion. :)

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 24 Nov 2021, 07:51

Rorschach wrote:I quite like Georgy Girl, though I suspect it's more out of nostalgia than anything else, but I don't much like the Seekers outside of that.

As a general rule the Seeker harmonies were what worked, though arguably no more than other such groups eg the Springfields.
Meanwhile the best Seekers tracks are often the ones were JD is not singing lead, like the Wreck of the Old 97 or With my swag all on my shoulder.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 07:52

Judith Durham is Australia's greatest gift to mankind. :)

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Nov 2021, 11:03

I'm with Rorschach here, she sounds like she's reading a takeaway menu. Technically she might be great, but there's no emotion whatsoever, no connection to the song.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 11:47

Darkness_Fish wrote:I'm with Rorschach here, she sounds like she's reading a takeaway menu. Technically she might be great, but there's no emotion whatsoever, no connection to the song.

I agree with both of you that she is not connecting, but there are other yardsticks to go by, such as purity of voice. I am still baffled that one would make the claim that she can't sing. The timbre and perfection of Judith's voice is unequalled in pop, IMO.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 24 Nov 2021, 12:22

GoogaMooga wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:I'm with Rorschach here, she sounds like she's reading a takeaway menu. Technically she might be great, but there's no emotion whatsoever, no connection to the song.

I agree with both of you that she is not connecting, but there are other yardsticks to go by, such as purity of voice. I am still baffled that one would make the claim that she can't sing. The timbre and perfection of Judith's voice is unequalled in pop, IMO.

What I'm saying is that there's more to singing than just having a good voice. You could have the greatest physique in the world but not be any good at a given sport because you don't have the technique or some other factor. If you don't have the complete range of required skills you won't be a great footballer.
Sure, Judith Durham has a pure voice, she can hit the notes, she does it effortlessly but, in my opinion, she can't express any feeling in a song, ergo, she can't sing.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 14:25

Rorschach wrote:Sure, Judith Durham has a pure voice, she can hit the notes, she does it effortlessly but, in my opinion, she can't express any feeling in a song, ergo, she can't sing.

Well, she is adored by millions of fans the world over, she has perfect pitch, she does a lot more than just hitting the notes. Just read the comments on youtube, they go on forever, singing her praises. Perhaps The Seekers are just too old hat, too square for you.

We'll just have to disagree on her ability to sing. I have never heard a purer voice. Maybe she felt a bit on unknown territory, with the Mamas & Papas million-seller released the same year. And with her background as an Australian, she deferred to the American folk-pop group, who were on home ground, so to speak. Yes, I prefer the Mamas & the Papas version, but man, am I glad I discovered this video today! Even the promo itself, with the Qantas 707 is wonderful, just wonderful. We'll never experience such times again.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 24 Nov 2021, 15:22, edited 1 time in total.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 24 Nov 2021, 15:07

I agree, but with emphasis on "sing", because this is killer!

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 Nov 2021, 15:49

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Nov 2021, 16:13

And John keeps reading them!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 16:23

Yeah, plus ca change. I know what is BCB friendly and what is not, but the prog/rockist stance only is BORING.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 24 Nov 2021, 20:31

GoogaMooga wrote:Yeah, plus ca change. I know what is BCB friendly and what is not, but the prog/rockist stance only is BORING.

That's just your opinion though. A lot of people find prog and/or rock music very entertaining. In fact so much so that one of them set up this forum specifically to talk about such things.

What is now BCB friendly is a hard thing to fathom, but I've never had the impression that you had even the faintest inkling of what was BCB friendly and what was not in your early years on here.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 20:50

Rorschach wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Yeah, plus ca change. I know what is BCB friendly and what is not, but the prog/rockist stance only is BORING.

That's just your opinion though. A lot of people find prog and/or rock music very entertaining. In fact so much so that one of them set up this forum specifically to talk about such things.

What is now BCB friendly is a hard thing to fathom, but I've never had the impression that you had even the faintest inkling of what was BCB friendly and what was not in your early years on here.

Oh, I think I knew. Coan made bloody sure I knew. I liked to challenge the canon, and took the blows.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Nov 2021, 20:56

It would be nice if there was a forum that covered ALL music, but they don't exist.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 24 Nov 2021, 21:15

GoogaMooga wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Oh, I think I knew. Coan made bloody sure I knew. I liked to challenge the canon, and took the blows.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Yakety Yak”