Do talk back
Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Big Big Train singer - David Longdon RIP - Welcome PFM's Alberto Bravin

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Nov 2021, 18:05

Devastating news.

David Longdon
17th June 1965 - 20th November 2021
Big Big Train are extremely saddened to announce the death of David Longdon this afternoon in hospital in Nottingham, UK at the age of 56 following an accident in the early hours of Friday morning. He is survived by his two daughters Amelia and Eloise, his mother Vera and his partner Sarah Ewing.

Sarah Ewing comments: “David and I were best friends, partners and soul mates and I am utterly devastated by his loss. He was a beautiful person and I feel so lucky to have known and loved him.”

Greg Spawton comments: “We are absolutely stunned to lose David. It is unspeakably cruel that a quirk of fate in the early hours of yesterday morning has deprived him and his loved ones of a happy future together and all of the opportunities, both personal and musical, that awaited him next year and beyond.”

David joined Big Big Train in 2009, immediately making a significant impact with that year’s The Underfall Yard album. He proceeded to record a further eight studio albums with the band, including the forthcoming Welcome To The Planet, as well as fronting the band for a series of highly acclaimed concerts from 2015 onwards. In addition last year he released an album with the late Judy Dyble under the name Dyble Longdon. On the day before his accident he had been in the studio working on a new solo album.

“David made a huge impact on my life both musically and personally,” Spawton continues. “I loved him like a brother and already feel his loss very deeply. He was a true creative visionary with extraordinary depth of talent. But above all he was a first rate and very kind man. His family, friends, BBT bandmates and crew will miss him terribly.”

The band’s Welcome To The Planet album remains scheduled for release on 28th January 2022. A further statement regarding the band’s 2022 concerts and other activities will follow in due course.

The band and their management request privacy for David’s family and friends at this extremely difficult time.
Last edited by Lord Rother on 27 Apr 2022, 16:16, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Waits For No One

Re: Big Big Train singer - David Longdon RIP

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 20 Nov 2021, 18:20

Sad news indeed.

RIP David.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 20 Nov 2021, 18:37

Terrible, shocking news.
“Erratic associate member”

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Nov 2021, 19:19

I just saw that - terrible news

Awful

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 20 Nov 2021, 21:59

Damn sad news.
BBT seemed to get better with every album too.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 20 Nov 2021, 22:24

From largely unknown band 10 years ago to first small steps in live performance in front of 400 people x 3 nights, to next year’s mini world tour culminating in the London Palladium.... it’s been a privilege to be a passenger on their journey.

David’s voice had become a force of nature, getting bigger and better with each album - no mean feat at 56yo. And his songwriting partnership with Greg Spawton and the other guys a thing of beauty. Always happy to meet and chat with fans after every gig, and a true gentleman and all-round lovely bloke apparently.

Jeez. Such a bloody shame.

I need a drink.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 21 Nov 2021, 00:08

It's a cruel faith of course but I never heard any of his band's music.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 21 Nov 2021, 17:26

Walk In My Shadow wrote:It's a cruel faith of course but I never heard any of his band's music.

I saw them live a few years back. Huge band in modern prog rock circles. Might not be your cup of tea but if interested you could try songs Victorian Brickwork or East Coast Racer.
“Erratic associate member”

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 21 Nov 2021, 22:03

A tragic loss, not only to the Prog scene but to music as a whole. I've always had the feeling that the best was yet to come from him and Big Big Train.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 22 Nov 2021, 02:34

Bummer so sad one of the great newish bands. Was actually going to see them before covid but show was cancelled.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 Nov 2021, 04:35

This is very sad. I'm not too familiar with the band and have only heard a few tracks by them and they were pretty decent. 56 is no age to go and as the result of an accident too. Cruel fate.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Nov 2021, 07:35

From David’s partner Sarah Ewing:

“I almost wish we were butterflies and lived but three Summer days. Three such days with you, I could fill with more delight than 50 common years could ever contain”
~ John Keats

I am not sure where to begin or what to write. Or even if I should write at all. But the out-pouring of grief has been profound and deeply moving. So I wanted to say something.

To put pay to the rumours, speculation, inaccurate reporting and perhaps to help some of you with your own questions and sense of loss, I can tell you that David had a traumatic fall at our cottage during the early hours of Friday morning. I am not going to share everything which took place. Those intimate details are just for band members, David’s beautiful girls, his Mum and me. But I will tell you that David left this life being held in my arms on Saturday 20th November. I told him how much I loved him, that he was safe and that it was time to take the next step on his great adventure. To be with him during his very last moments is the greatest tragedy and greatest privilege of my life.

I waited all my life for David. He filled up my heart. He was inspirational, thoughtful, kind, generous, gentle, loving and funny. Goodness me, was he funny. We would laugh and laugh every day. He was the best of all men.

He leaves an enormous legacy behind. Not only in terms of his creative output but also the many lives he has touched, the friends he has made and the strong unshakeable brotherhood he shared with Danny, Dave G, Rikard, NDV and of course his dearest Greg.

I know David will always be right by my side. But if I ever feel I need that extra connection, I can always reach for the music. And so can you. Because even though he told us that we will find him in the hedgerow, let me tell you a secret : it’s not true. He’s in the music. That is where you will find him.

Good bye my beautiful boy - until we meet again one day.

X

:( That’s done me in.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 24 Nov 2021, 07:42

Beautiful tribute.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Nov 2021, 20:30

A little extract from one of the hundreds of tributes that seems to sum the man up particularly well - this from one of the Moderators on the FB Group (and a lover of chocolate:

“Fast forward a few months as new albums were released, the band offered the Passengers new opportunities where we were able to support the band or be rewarded for just being a ‘listener’. We were involved in a video shoot for Folklore and got time to talk and interact with the band after the video was recorded.

I remember how David was so interested in where people had travelled from, and thanked everyone for contributing. I will never forget either how he took so much interest in my grand-daughter (who was born very prematurely) and he actively asked me if Alice was coming to Real World when we were invited to a listening party for Folklore. When we walked in, I saw him say, “Alice is here!” Likewise, if you listen carefully, you can hear David’s smile (daft as that sounds) on the live version of London Plane on the Merchants Of Light cd as he sings the line “The Alice is clean gone” - he looked directly at me and grinned as he sang it live in Cadogan Hall back in 2017.

Prior to that, back in 2015, once again, David made me feel special - as he had decided to share his chocolate with me during the live performance at Kings Hall. He had asked Kathy in advance where I was to be seated so that he could find me in order to throw me some chocolate. It’s those ‘Davidisms’ that made every Passenger, that had their own special time with him, feel truly important for a while. That is a gift and one that not every artist possesses. David had it in the bucket load. ❤️

Last Saturday, life changed for everyone involved in the BBT family. Obviously, that change will be felt far greater the closer you are to the inner BBT circle - Sarah’s, his daughters and mother as well as the band’s impact is far beyond anything any of us can imagine. However, that loss has been felt massively in the wider BBT circle - and therein lies the depth of feeling and love we all feel for David and the impact he has made on all of our lives.

Thank you David, for caring, writing and singing some of my favourite songs ever and for leaving behind the best legacy anyone could ever strive to leave.

Xxxx”

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 23 Dec 2021, 18:02

Lord Rother

Re: Big Big Train singer - David Longdon RIP - Welcome Alberto Bravin

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Apr 2022, 16:15

The Journey Continues....

Big Big Train have recruited Alberto Bravin as lead vocalist following the tragic death of David Longdon in November 2021.

Based in Trieste in Italy, Bravin’s career includes performing around 200 shows with progressive rock legends PFM between 2015 and January 2022, both in Italy and internationally, singing lead and backing vocals and playing keyboards.

Alberto Bravin says: “I am extremely honoured to have the opportunity to join Big Big Train. I was already a huge BBT fan and am looking forward to play my part in taking this great band forward while also honouring the memory of David Longdon.”

Big Big Train bassist and founder Gregory Spawton comments: “Before Covid-19 hit, Nick D’Virgilio and I had both seen Alberto perform with PFM. We were very impressed with his abilities as a vocalist and multi-instrumentalist and therefore approached him earlier this year.

“We know that David is irreplaceable and we miss him deeply both musically and personally,” Spawton continues. “We were very clear that we didn’t want to bring someone into the band who would seek to mimic David; that just felt fundamentally wrong. Instead we wanted someone who could do justice with their own musical skills and personality to the songs that David sang for Big Big Train as well as being able to help to drive the band forwards. From his first audition singing some BBT classic songs and subsequently his work on some new material that we’re working on, we’re confident that we’ve found the right person in Alberto.”

“Aside from Alberto’s great voice and all round musical skills, it was also vital for us to find the right personal fit, particularly after being struck with David’s sudden death,” drummer Nick D’Virgilio comments. “We flew Alberto to London several weeks ago so we could hang together for a few days and the chemistry immediately felt right.”

Lord Rother

Re: Big Big Train singer - David Longdon RIP - Welcome PFM's Alberto Bravin

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Apr 2022, 21:07

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Apr 2022, 18:29

Will they now be known as Grande Grande Treno....?

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 28 Apr 2022, 19:05

interesting replacement

Return to “Yakety Yak”