The Streets and UK Grime

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

The Streets and UK Grime

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Nov 2021, 18:47

I am quite fond of the UK rapper who goes by the strange moniker of The Streets. Easily found in thrift over here. I've got most of the albums, but to me it's just hip hop, with pretty choruses, the way I like it. And I am actually able to hear all the words! I'd have guessed Cockney, but he's actually a Brummie. But why call it "Grime"? Why all these labels and sub-genres? What other artists fall under "Grime"?

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Darkness_Fish

Re: The Streets and UK Grime

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Nov 2021, 08:19

The Streets aren't really grime in any way. Grime was more dancehall and jungle influenced, very fast beats and toasting. Generally fairly chaotic, and not a clean sound, hence the name.

Dizzee Rascal is probably the biggest name, but I think Wiley is generally regarded as the originator of the sound.

Edit* - Btw, I knew Wiley was in some kind of controversy, but I couldn't remember what. Apparently he posted a bunch of antisemitic stuff on twitter, but I guess it makes a nice change from misogyny.
Last edited by Darkness_Fish on 15 Nov 2021, 09:14, edited 2 times in total.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Nov 2021, 09:11

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Nov 2021, 15:01

I googled The Streets and it says he falls between rap and grime. Dizzee Rascal I also tried, but I don't really care for his music. Jungle is another genre that was flash in the pan, - Goldie, Roni Size, and very little else.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Nov 2021, 16:28

Jungle was a flash in the pan, but there were some great tracks which didn't fall into the coffee-table drum n' bass respectability of Goldie and Roni Size.

BIDNESS! BO! ETC!

Btw, I really need to get another copy of that Rumble in the Jungle album, my CDR copy got scratched to buggery, and you can't find the original for love or money anymore.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Nov 2021, 16:30

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 15 Nov 2021, 18:18

Do yourself a favor and listen to Ghostpoet. The 'Shedding skin' cd.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Nov 2021, 18:49

Ghostpoet's first couple of albums were excellent, I just feel he never managed to develop his sound, pretty much mumbled himself into a corner. I used his "Cash and Carry Me Home" in a cup on preludin and it got the kind of reaction normally reserved for sex offenders. :(

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Nov 2021, 19:27

It didn't stand a ghost of a chance?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Nov 2021, 20:38

Darkness_Fish wrote:

:D
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 16 Nov 2021, 00:48

Darkness_Fish wrote:Ghostpoet's first couple of albums were excellent, I just feel he never managed to develop his sound, pretty much mumbled himself into a corner. I used his "Cash and Carry Me Home" in a cup on preludin and it got the kind of reaction normally reserved for sex offenders. :(

Preludin, eh? The land where they live in an octopus' garden and travel in a yellow submarine. No wonder.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Return to “Yakety Yak”