Really, what on earth was Yoko doing at the get back sessions?

Do talk back
Positive Passion

Really, what on earth was Yoko doing at the get back sessions?

Postby Positive Passion » 13 Nov 2021, 14:21

I can't wait for the new edit of the Get Back footage, and in the various trailers you can tgese four guys at work, with Yoko there. Am I misguided to think this is a bit odd? I can't imagine having my wife alongside me when teaching a class, or (in the old days) at a legal meeting (and she would have had enough experience and knowledge to attend such a meeting). Why did the others put up with it? Why did John even think it was an appropriate idea? Where is volume 3 of Lewisohn's book that might explain it?
On the other hand if it were me, would I really say to my old mate "no you can't have your friend here"?
I don't know what to think.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Really, what on earth was Yoko doing at the get back sessions?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 13 Nov 2021, 15:41

at these things (rehearsals, recording) there's usually some people in attendance. roadies, gaffers, technicians, etc.

it happens that the musicians bring along friends or guest players.

but it shouldn't happen that someone is there as a permanent fixture where the musician in question has to spend time chatting to his girl instead of concentrating on his job.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Nov 2021, 15:45

She was there because John was head over heels in love and wanted her there. (Later, Linda would be in Wings because Paul wanted her there.) And the others "put up with it" (mostly) because, well, if you were in a band with John Lennon, would you want to alienate him?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 13 Nov 2021, 16:34

Charlie O. wrote:She was there because John was head over heels in love and wanted her there. (Later, Linda would be in Wings because Paul wanted her there.) And the others "put up with it" (mostly) because, well, if you were in a band with John Lennon, would you want to alienate him?

I am Paul McCartney! But he is my old mate.

I have always assumed Linda was in Wings because she wanted to ensure he didn’t stray when on tour.

der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer

Postby der Freiherr » 13 Nov 2021, 17:34

Charlie O. wrote:She was there because John was head over heels in love and wanted her there. (Later, Linda would be in Wings because Paul wanted her there.) And the others "put up with it" (mostly) because, well, if you were in a band with John Lennon, would you want to alienate him?

That’s the long and short of it.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 13 Nov 2021, 18:24

Positive Passion wrote:Where is volume 3 of Lewisohn's book that might explain it?

2030something
Give a shit or be a shit.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Nov 2021, 19:29

I can't even get through the first two volumes.
it's weird how carlsson has managed to get wilson over a barrel and then persuade him to let the rest of the PROG goons perform anal chugs on him in said position.

my point is that wilson has sold his arse cheaply. it's embarrassing to read.

-skope

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Nov 2021, 00:28

Well, you certainly can't get through the second one! Unless you somehow managed to score an advance copy.

Do we even know when it's coming out yet?

As to the question in the title, I pretty much think Charlie nailed it.

It is, probably, one of the things that made the sessions difficult, but I suspect there was a built in realization by then. John gonna John.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2022?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Nov 2021, 02:12

I think there's another aspect, too, which is that John had been toying with the idea of leaving the group as early as September 1966, when he was in Almeria filming How I Won The War. I think that beyond the intellectual and sexual attraction, John saw Yoko as an agent of change, as a way out of the things he saw as confining, starting with his marriage to Cynthia. (Funny to think of that divorce as a dry run for his divorce from the Fabs, but... it kinda was, wasn't it?) John relied on Yoko (or at least convinced himself that he did) to give him the courage to go his own way, and with her there every day, she could see first hand what he had to deal with, so they could reinforce each other. I always suspected that there was a passive-aggressive element as well: maybe he was hoping that between the two of them they could annoy the others to such an extent that they'd be glad to see the back of them!

(In light of all that, it's striking that the break-up was as protracted as it was. Even after Paul's infamous promo "interview" for the McCartney album prompted worldwide BEATLES BREAK UP!/PAUL LEAVES THE BEATLES! headlines - neither of which he actually said, of course - John was telling the press "It could be a rebirth or a death. We'll see what it is. It'll probably be a rebirth.")

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 14 Nov 2021, 02:51

Yes, along these lines it seems so obviously a bad idea that it looks like the others, or at least Paul, accept that it WILL cause problems but it is part of the divorce process.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Nov 2021, 03:29

toomanyhatz wrote:Well, you certainly can't get through the second one! Unless you somehow managed to score an advance copy.

It is, probably, one of the things that made the sessions difficult, but I suspect there was a built in realization by then. John gonna John.

The Extended Special Edition has two volumes, Dave. The first volume is over eight hundred pages, the second volume is over 1600 pages.
it's weird how carlsson has managed to get wilson over a barrel and then persuade him to let the rest of the PROG goons perform anal chugs on him in said position.

-skope

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Nov 2021, 10:05

Matt Wilson wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Well, you certainly can't get through the second one! Unless you somehow managed to score an advance copy.

The Extended Special Edition has two volumes, Dave. The first volume is over eight hundred pages, the second volume is over 1600 pages.

Beatles O.D.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Nov 2021, 17:53

GoogaMooga wrote:Beatles O.D.

Tell me about it. Like I said - I couldn't even get through the first volume.

-skope

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 14 Nov 2021, 18:03

Matt Wilson wrote:

Technically the two books in the Extended Edition form Volume 1.
Volume 2 (Turn On?) is due at the very earliest in 2023.

:ugeek:
Give a shit or be a shit.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 14 Nov 2021, 18:07

LOL, yes Tom. Nonetheless, it's still TWO books, not one.

-skope

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Nov 2021, 21:08

I stand corrected. (Though I'm also correct, as you did say 'volumes' and not 'books'.) But I was unaware there was an extended edition, so thanks for that.

It's really pretty thorough in its original form, so I'm curious what was added. And I probably have plenty of time to read it. Hopefully he lives long enough to complete it. It's getting to be Proust for Beatle fans. (Still haven't made it through Swann's Way either. :D )

Anyway, the short answer to the title query is basically that they became JohnandYoko sometime in late '68. John never did anything halfway.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2022?

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 15 Nov 2021, 07:59

toomanyhatz wrote:I stand corrected. (Though I'm also correct, as you did say 'volumes' and not 'books'.) But I was unaware there was an extended edition, so thanks for that.

It's really pretty thorough in its original form, so I'm curious what was added. And I probably have plenty of time to read it. Hopefully he lives long enough to complete it. It's getting to be Proust for Beatle fans. (Still haven't made it through Swann's Way either. :D )

Anyway, the short answer to the title query is basically that they became JohnandYoko sometime in late '68. John never did anything halfway.

What is the long answer?
Or indeed the special extended answer?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Nov 2021, 16:33

9 to 5?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.