Red Rose Speedway

Do talk back
ChrisChopping

Red Rose Speedway

Postby ChrisChopping » 03 Nov 2021, 21:12

I’m listening to the “reconstructed” double album version of Red Rose Speedway and I think the original album is underrated.

It’s generally considered to be a bit of a dog, even a nadir before Paul turned his career around with Band On The Run. It doesn’t help that the big hit single is the worst thing on it and that combined with the albums reputation put me off getting round to it for ages. When I finally did I found a lot to love.

It isn’t his strongest collection of songs, some of the stuff on the double is better than what ended up on the single LP, but everything sounds good to me in terms of playing, production and arrangement* I much prefer it to some of the later, slicker Wings albums or his solo albums where eighties production touches come in or superproducers are airlifted in to produce modern sounds.

jimboo

Re: Red Rose Speedway

Postby jimboo » 03 Nov 2021, 21:45

It's shit.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Nov 2021, 23:51

I've always meant to check out the double-LP version (prety sure I have a rip of it somewhere), but haven't got 'round to it. I always dug "The Mess" and "Mama's Little Girl" (previously released elsewhere) so I can believe there's other good stuff there.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 04 Nov 2021, 04:21

I've never thought of it as a dog although it's certainly not among his better efforts but I like bits of it. The opening 3 tracks are good (I don't have any aversion to My Love) and the closing track is nice (Power Cut) but much of what comes in between sounds a bit uninspiring. A double album version would test my patience I think though I've never heard it.

I prefer it to Wildlife which is more highly regarded by many but for me is the real dog of his 70s albums.

robertff

Postby robertff » 04 Nov 2021, 14:31

I'm just fine with both the original and the reconstructed double, not as good as BonR or Ram but I like it. I agree it is underrated in the Macca catalogue and dare I say it, a much better album to listen to than Mind Games.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Nov 2021, 16:27

trans-chigley express wrote:I prefer it to Wildlife which is more highly regarded by many but for me is the real dog of his 70s albums.

To me that title goes to Wings at the Speed of Sound.
it's weird how carlsson has managed to get wilson over a barrel and then persuade him to let the rest of the PROG goons perform anal chugs on him in said position.

my point is that wilson has sold his arse cheaply. it's embarrassing to read.

-skope

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 05 Nov 2021, 00:08

Matt Wilson wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:I prefer it to Wildlife which is more highly regarded by many but for me is the real dog of his 70s albums.

To me that title goes to Wings at the Speed of Sound.

You could be right. That has three good songs and a load of filler.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Nov 2021, 00:56

I haven't bought any of the expanded McCartney solo albums, is RAM the most essential there?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

robertff

Postby robertff » 05 Nov 2021, 08:06

GoogaMooga wrote:I haven't bought any of the expanded McCartney solo albums, is RAM the most essential there?

If you don't know that already don't buy it.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 05 Nov 2021, 11:23

GoogaMooga wrote:I haven't bought any of the expanded McCartney solo albums, is RAM the most essential there?

I would say so. The bonus material is really high quality. Another Day and Oh Woman Oh Why of course but also Rode All Night, A Love For You etc.

The Flowers in the Dirt one does have demos with him and Costello that are great but it does come with the inessential original album…

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Nov 2021, 15:37

I think Flowers in the Dirt was the best thing he had done since Tug of War.
it's weird how carlsson has managed to get wilson over a barrel and then persuade him to let the rest of the PROG goons perform anal chugs on him in said position.

-skope

robertff

Postby robertff » 05 Nov 2021, 16:20

Matt Wilson wrote:I think Flowers in the Dirt was the best thing he had done since Tug of War.

I agree Matt, it's a pretty good album.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 05 Nov 2021, 17:22

I quite like Red Rose Speedway, but the medley is unforgivable. Four poor songs stapled together does not an epic make. I have no idea how that mess ever got onto the finshed record.
You don't like me...do you?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Nov 2021, 17:27

yomptepi wrote: I have no idea how that mess ever got onto the finshed record.

Actually, "The Mess" didn't make Red Rose Speedway, it was the B-side to "My Love."

-skope

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 05 Nov 2021, 17:45

yomptepi wrote:I quite like Red Rose Speedway, but the medley is unforgivable. Four poor songs stapled together does not an epic make. I have no idea how that mess ever got onto the finshed record.

I like all of the bits or the medley but I agree the way they’re presented is pretty lazy

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Nov 2021, 18:07

He probably thought he could repeat the glory of the medley on Abbey Road.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 05 Nov 2021, 18:32

Something like Band On The Run or even Venus and Mars/Rockshow sees Macca take different song sections and take a little more effort to weave them into something more cohesive.

The final track on Egypt Station has the same problem. Some of my favourite individual bits but jammed together in a meh, this’ll do way.

goldstoned

Postby goldstoned » 19 Nov 2021, 08:17

Great show with the sodajerker-boys, though, chris. Sometimes it's more interesting to listen to a talk about an album with many flaws than hearing everybody agree how fantastic revolver is. https://iamtheeggpod.com/2021/06/18/red ... odajerker/

Six String

Postby Six String » 20 Nov 2021, 20:13

Venus And Mars was his last album of note.
Tbh I haven’t heard Red Rose since around the time it was released which is true of anything released after V&M.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 22 Nov 2021, 04:17

goldstoned wrote:Great show with the sodajerker-boys, though, chris. Sometimes it's more interesting to listen to a talk about an album with many flaws than hearing everybody agree how fantastic revolver is. https://iamtheeggpod.com/2021/06/18/red ... odajerker/

That was a good listen. It was good to hear a different take on these familiar songs. I found myself frequently agreeing with them