Marilyn Monroe

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Marilyn Monroe

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Oct 2021, 00:59

Ever noticed how there doesn't seem to be any decent Marilyn Monroe comp on the market? They are mostly of the petrol station, budget variety. I've got one on the Danish Edel label, adequately annotated, but with a good tracklist and good sound. Marilyn was first and foremost a movie actress, and also the leading sex object of the 1950s. I don't know if she ever had any chart hits, but some of her songs from the few musicals she did have entered the popular canon, and I think she deserves a place in the archives. One CD will do, though, she was not very prolific. Plus she died young. I am still looking for a definitive major label comp by her.

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 12 Jan 2022, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

cheifwhat

Re: Marilyn Monroe

Postby cheifwhat » 30 Oct 2021, 00:23

This thread deserves some replies. I really liked 'Diamonds are a girls best friend'.
Mostly dancing sir,...

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Oct 2021, 04:24

GoogaMooga wrote:I am still looking for a definitive major label comp by her.

One factor is that she was never really signed to a major label; she had singles on MGM, Philips. RCA, United Artists and others, but I think they were all just movie soundtrack songs. And with so many small label packages flooding the market, there isn't much incentive for a major (or even a major independent) to do something more definitive.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Oct 2021, 19:00

Charlie O. wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I am still looking for a definitive major label comp by her.

One factor is that she was never really signed to a major label; she had singles on MGM, Philips. RCA, United Artists and others, but I think they were all just movie soundtrack songs. And with so many small label packages flooding the market, there isn't much incentive for a major (or even a major independent) to do something more definitive.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation. Now, someone like Judy Garland was also on different labels, but a lot more prolific, so there is enough material out there for several definitive editions.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”