Hard rock and heavy metal

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Hard rock and heavy metal

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Oct 2021, 17:13

I am listening (not grooving) to the excesses of Deep Purple live on the 1993 live CD, "Come Hell or High Water", and I am hearing little in the way of melody or groove. It never really swings, but relies instead on Blackmore's monster riffs, Gillan's wailing, and Jon Lord's consummate organ sounds. They were hard enough in the studio, but live they go for endless soloing and extended freak-outs. And I am thinking, what am I really getting out of this? Do I need this stuff? Taking up valuable storage space, all these hard rock albums. This one has the distinction of being the last Blackmore album, but other than that, there is nothing remarkable about it.

Of course, if I get rid of Deep Purple, I'll have to ditch Rainbow, too. And what about Sabs, Def Leppard? Some will still make the cut, but a lot of this stuff is unnecessary.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

C
Robust

Re: Hard rock and heavy metal

Postby C » 18 Oct 2021, 17:54

Save some,the best, or what you prefer of each lad

Don't chuck the baby out with the bath water.

This is a Deep Purple album you may enjoy:

This is a Black Sabbath album you may enjoy:

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Oct 2021, 18:03

I'm keeping some for now. Blue Cheer, MC5, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, some others.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 18 Oct 2021, 18:42

Run for the hills!!!

Bring your daughter to the slaughter!!!
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 Oct 2021, 19:21

If I thought there were more headbangers here, I'd start a Judas Priest thread.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 18 Oct 2021, 19:24

Watch the Ritchie Blackmore documentary on Sky Arts. You'll find he wasn't over keen on the majority of Purple albums and, as for Gillan....mmm...let's just say that he wasn't his favourite person

robertff

Postby robertff » 18 Oct 2021, 19:42

slightbreeze wrote:Watch the Ritchie Blackmore documentary on Sky Arts. You'll find he wasn't over keen on the majority of Purple albums and, as for Gillan....mmm...let's just say that he wasn't his favourite person

From what I've read and heard over the years Ritchie Blackmore wasn't anyone's favourite person.

robertff

Postby robertff » 18 Oct 2021, 20:01

I don't think Purple were alone in the excess of hard rock, ever see Led Zep live? Some of the Purple albums were okay, I wasn't a fan in their heyday but liked the singles they released Hush (was that a single?), Black Night and Strange Kind Of Woman. Apart from that I didn't really take much notice of them until In Rock was released.

A friend of mine owned a clothes' shop where I lived and was constantly playing In Rock in the shop, that and Every Picture, Songs For Beginners and Broken Barricades, so I got to like it. Didn't actually buy it until much later, along with some of their other stuff. Quite like a number of their albums now.

To be honest I wouldn't say that Deep Purple live in '93 is their best album by any means, even though I haven't heard it, in fact it sounds more like a cheap knock-off or cash in. They did much better, try some of their earlier albums.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Oct 2021, 20:03

robertff wrote:I don't think Purple were alone in the excess of hard rock, ever see Led Zep live? Some of the Purple albums were okay, I wasn't a fan in their heyday but liked the singles they released Hush (was that a single?), Black Night and Strange Kind Of Woman. Apart from that I didn't really take much notice of them until In Rock was released.

A friend of mine owned a clothes' shop where I lived and was constantly playing In Rock in the shop, that and Every Picture, Songs For Beginners and Broken Barricades, so I got to like it. Didn't actually buy it until much later, along with some of their other stuff. Quite like a number of their albums now.

To be honest I wouldn't say that Deep Purple live in '93 is their best album by any means, even though I haven't heard it, in fact it sounds more like a cheap knock-off or cash in. They did much better, try some of their earlier albums.

I've got another 21 albums by Deep Purple last I checked. Some of the live ones I could do without, but yes, "In Rock" is a classic. I've got a great comp with all the single edits.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 18 Oct 2021, 20:05

I'll have to keep MC5, got a concert poster of theirs in my kitchen.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 Oct 2021, 00:22

What are DP's best albums? Burn and Stormbringer. Glenn Hughes made the difference. When I play Deep Purple (which is not often, any more), it's one of those 2 albums.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Oct 2021, 00:57

Googa, I have that same poster! First printing and it’s also framed in my kitchen.

And there are way better deep purple albums than stormbringer.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Oct 2021, 03:58

Matt Wilson wrote:Googa, I have that same poster! First printing and it’s also framed in my kitchen.

Cool ! 8-) And in the kitchen, even! :D Mine is only a reprint, though - came with MOJO.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 Oct 2021, 09:21

But do you really want metal that grooves or swings? Why not listen to groovy swingy music, and save metal for when you want to tear the walls of your house down instead?

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 19 Oct 2021, 12:06

Darkness_Fish wrote:But do you really want metal that grooves or swings? Why not listen to groovy swingy music, and save metal for when you want to tear the walls of your house down instead?

No, metal is metal and should be thrashing and pummeling. I am more drawn towards something with groove, something that swings. I like orchestration and arrangements too, and yet, I don't particularly care for classical.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 19 Oct 2021, 20:56

Matt Wilson wrote:If I thought there were more headbangers here, I'd start a Judas Priest thread.

DO IT!

I am a fan
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 19 Oct 2021, 20:58

mudshark wrote:What are DP's best albums? Burn and Stormbringer. Glenn Hughes made the difference. When I play Deep Purple (which is not often, any more), it's one of those 2 albums.

I like them a lot but it would be inaccurate to put them - as a whole - above Machine Head and In Rock, let alone Made in Japan.

They do all, courtesy of Ian Paice, swing like a leaky tit, as a wise man once said.
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 19 Oct 2021, 23:19

Haha! Yes, a long long time ago in a pretty engaging thread, I vaguely remember. These days I don't care for In Rock that much any more. I think it all sounds a but stiff and official. It's probably better song-writing than Stormbringer but to these ears that one sounds more fun nowadays. And Burn is their best. In fact 'Burn' the song is probably their best after Highway Star. I adore Made In Japan for predominantly sentimental reasons, except for The Mule and Space Trucking (which covers 1.5 albums). Isn't Highway Star not the best concert opener ever? Yes, it is. But it's a Live album, almost a best of. Doesn't count. Ian Paice has been ace for decades, though. Up there with the very best of them.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 20 Oct 2021, 07:16

The Slider wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:If I thought there were more headbangers here, I'd start a Judas Priest thread.

DO IT!

I am a fan

Me too.

Anyone in for the new big box?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 20 Oct 2021, 13:54

is there unreleased stuff on it?
I have the last one which was just the albums