Catatonia

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Catatonia

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Oct 2021, 00:22

Catatonia - what do you think? Welsh pop group with masses of indy guitar and Cerys Matthews' unmistakeable little girl voice. I have picked up their albums one by one in thrift for 50 p each. They recorded on Blanco Y Negro, which smacks of indy, but is really a subsidiary of Warner Music, by the looks of it. I think what drew me to their work in the first place was firstly Cerys' Matthews' sweet, televised duet with Tom Jones on "What's New, Pussycat?", and secondly, that album cover which uses a still from a Hayley Mills film. But on closer listen, they are really just another boring 90s band, aren't they? I think they are eminently ready for my next big cull...

Hayley Mills:

More Hayley Mills:

They have a few good singles, such as "Mulder and Scully" or "Lost Cat". So maybe I'll keep the comp...
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Re: Catatonia

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Oct 2021, 08:19

I very much liked International Velvet at the time, but the follow-up didn't move me. Cerys' first solo album was a delight.

And that's just about all I know.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Oct 2021, 08:39

Charlie O. wrote:I very much liked International Velvet at the time, but the follow-up didn't move me. Cerys' first solo album was a delight.

They have won awards, incl. the prestigious Ivor Novello Award. But that was for singles, not albums. They have got some good singles, and I think I have got Matthews' solo album, too. Will check.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 15 Oct 2021, 11:53

Her voice is just so SHITE

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 15 Oct 2021, 11:56

slightbreeze wrote:Her voice is just so SHITE

I'd say cute. :D

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Oct 2021, 12:01

Quite liked it myself.

robertff

Postby robertff » 15 Oct 2021, 12:05

GoogaMooga wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:I very much liked International Velvet at the time, but the follow-up didn't move me. Cerys' first solo album was a delight.

They have won awards, incl. the prestigious Ivor Novello Award. But that was for singles, not albums. They have got some good singles, and I think I have got Matthews' solo album, too. Will check.

Think I’ve got I.V. and Equally Cursed - they cost me something like 10p each at a boot fair, don’t listen to them very much but they’re okay, nothing more.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Oct 2021, 17:48

robertff wrote:

Quite liked it myself.

Me too.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 25 Oct 2021, 00:46

I had the best of and that’ll do for me but I do enjoy it.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 25 Oct 2021, 10:26

ChrisChopping wrote:I had the best of and that’ll do for me but I do enjoy it.

That's what I want to whittle it down to. I checked and I own the Cerys Matthews solo album, but I don't know if I will keep it.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 25 Oct 2021, 16:02

After a while the cute Welsh accent does start to grate, but I don't mind 'em.

Katatonia are more my thing, if a bit too dark for me to fully embrace them.

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 26 Oct 2021, 13:50

Cery's has a fantastic radio show on BBC 6 music. Every Sunday at 10am. ALWAYS plays great great songs that I haven't heard before.
Folk on here should be listening to it. It's an education in the best possible way..
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 Oct 2021, 14:49

50 Shades Of Blue wrote:Cery's has a fantastic radio show on BBC 6 music. Every Sunday at 10am. ALWAYS plays great great songs that I haven't heard before.
Folk on here should be listening to it. It's an education in the best possible way..

Absolutely. A must.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 26 Oct 2021, 14:51

GoogaMooga wrote:Catatonia - what do you think? Welsh pop group with masses of indy guitar and Cerys Matthews' unmistakeable little girl voice. I have picked up their albums one by one in thrift for 50 p each. They recorded on Blanco Y Negro, which smacks of indy, but is really a subsidiary of Warner Music, by the looks of it. I think what drew me to their work in the first place was firstly Cerys' Matthews' sweet, televised duet with Tom Jones on "What's New, Pussycat?", and secondly, that album cover which uses a still from a Hayley Mills film. But on closer listen, they are really just another boring 90s band, aren't they? I think they are eminently ready for my next big cull...

Hayley Mills:

More Hayley Mills:

They have a few good singles, such as "Mulder and Scully" or "Lost Cat". So maybe I'll keep the comp...

Do you know any adult male singer who has a ‘little boy’ voice?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Oct 2021, 17:08

Little Jimmy Osmond?

Return to “Yakety Yak”