Get Back

Do talk back
User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 31357
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Get Back

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Dec 2021, 22:12

ChrisChopping wrote:Yeah, I’d love to hear what bassline Paul would add to Gimme Some Truth too


It sounds like Paul helped with the writing of "Gimme Some Truth" too, by the looks of the film footage. He gets no credit for it though.
Any more of this insolence and you will be given a warning. I've had it up to here with you lately. Don't push your luck.

- Little Johnny Coan

ChrisChopping
Posts: 85
Joined: 15 Sep 2018, 00:04

Re: Get Back

Postby ChrisChopping » 06 Dec 2021, 07:53

Lennon did credit Paul with the middle eight of Gimme Some Truth in an interview. Which is a bit weird when you consider it ended up on the same album as How Do You Sleep?

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12798
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Get Back

Postby Geezee » 06 Dec 2021, 09:42

I've also been enjoying this - but I'm not sure that it really changes much of the fundamental narrative of the original movie. There's suddenly this "it was never Yoko!" doing the rounds - but surely it has been clear for decades that it was always far more complicated than just about Yoko - she was always more a symptom of Lennon's searching for a life beyond the one he'd established, than a cause. I can't remember the last time the "it was Yoko" narrative was taken seriously - it's only ever brought up to dismiss it, or as a joke. Ultimately, while it is great to have more footage of the band putting together their songs and having fun, this is still a band that is (unfortunately) falling apart and some (much?) of the fun appears to be for the cameras - which had already been noted in the original 1970 film (which although it focused on the dramatic tensions - as this one also does - still also showed some of the good times). The whole discussion around whether or not they are being their "actual selves" is very interesting in this context - they are referring to the India trip and that they were not really being honest versions of themselves at the time, but it appears they are also bringing it up in this context because they are also not being themselves in the studio in front of the cameras. There are moments of stilted, awkward conversation, usually directed at either Lennon or McCartney, and although it can partly be put down to men finding it difficult to discuss emotions, or that drugs/Epstein's death were causing indecision or lack of leadership...but it's also because everything is on camera so they can't discuss freely. It's not like they don't know the cameras are there!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46200
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Get Back

Postby The Prof » 15 Dec 2021, 11:24

I knew I wouldn't get round to cancelling that £1.99 subscription! so Disney+ runs for another month... but I did watch McCartney 1,2,3.

Some pretty good 30 minute episodes, Rick Rubin looking pretty much like Leonardo Da Vinci talks us though Macca's back catalogue. It's nothing we've not heard already a million times before but somehow it does look a bit new.

McCartney's trying hard to be modest & unassuming but it's a bit difficult with Rubin fawning all over him and, at one point, sitting cross legged at his feet.

Worth a watch though.

Image

Positive Passion
Posts: 2008
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Get Back

Postby Positive Passion » 15 Dec 2021, 11:29

The Prof wrote:I knew I wouldn't get round to cancelling that £1.99 subscription! so Disney+ runs for another month... but I did watch McCartney 1,2,3.

Some pretty good 30 minute episodes, Rick Rubin looking pretty much like Leonardo Da Vinci talks us though Macca's back catalogue. It's nothing we've not heard already a million times before but somehow it does look a bit new.

McCartney's trying hard to be modest & unassuming but it's a bit difficult with Rubin fawning all over him and, at one point, sitting cross legged at his feet.

Worth a watch though.

Image


On BBC sounds there are a bunch of 5 - 10 minute podcasts of Macca talking about certain key songs. Again nothing new but nice to hear.

Meanwhile there is an awful lot of good stuuff on Disney + - Taylor Swift's Folklore- Long Pond Sessions for example. I don't recommend watching it all in one go though - watch a song or two at a time.

User avatar
John_K
driven by lists
Posts: 12453
Joined: 02 Nov 2004, 14:01
Location: The Black Hole of BCB...

Re: Get Back

Postby John_K » 15 Dec 2021, 12:18

Positive Passion wrote:
The Prof wrote:I knew I wouldn't get round to cancelling that £1.99 subscription! so Disney+ runs for another month... but I did watch McCartney 1,2,3.

Some pretty good 30 minute episodes, Rick Rubin looking pretty much like Leonardo Da Vinci talks us though Macca's back catalogue. It's nothing we've not heard already a million times before but somehow it does look a bit new.

McCartney's trying hard to be modest & unassuming but it's a bit difficult with Rubin fawning all over him and, at one point, sitting cross legged at his feet.

Worth a watch though.

Image


On BBC sounds there are a bunch of 5 - 10 minute podcasts of Macca talking about certain key songs. Again nothing new but nice to hear.

Meanwhile there is an awful lot of good stuuff on Disney + - Taylor Swift's Folklore- Long Pond Sessions for example. I don't recommend watching it all in one go though - watch a song or two at a time.


As an aside John, Dopesick is also excellent and well worth a watch...

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46200
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Get Back

Postby The Prof » 15 Dec 2021, 13:15

John_K wrote:As an aside John, Dopesick is also excellent and well worth a watch...


Thanks - I'll give it a spin.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7777
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Get Back

Postby robertff » 15 Dec 2021, 18:53

Hoping to watch some of this tonight on my daughter's TV, whilst baby sitting for her. Looking forward to it, hopefully it will be entertaining.


.

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 17469
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Get Back

Postby Neige » 16 Dec 2021, 08:38

Positive Passion wrote:Meanwhile there is an awful lot of good stuuff on Disney + - Taylor Swift's Folklore- Long Pond Sessions for example. I don't recommend watching it all in one go though - watch a song or two at a time.


There's also Summer of Soul, obviously, and Crazy Heart... and I just binged on (non-cartoon) Star Wars for a couple of weeks!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7777
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Get Back

Postby robertff » 16 Dec 2021, 12:18

Saw most of the first one last night, pretty interesting, if not a little hard going.

Interesting to see what the relationships were like at the time, better perhaps than we’ve grown accustomed to thinking or being led to believe, clearly McCartney is trying very hard to instil some kind of enthusiasm into the project, whist the others don’t appear to be over concerned. Also interesting to see Macca talking about leadership of the group and the exasperation he was feeling trying to get this project going.

Interesting definitely and good to see that relationships weren’t yet at a breaking point.

I wonder what all the other onlookers were thinking?


.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 31357
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Get Back

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Dec 2021, 15:52

robertff wrote:I wonder what all the other onlookers were thinking?


.


"I can't believe I'm in the same room as the fucking BEATLES!!"
Any more of this insolence and you will be given a warning. I've had it up to here with you lately. Don't push your luck.

- Little Johnny Coan

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7777
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Get Back

Postby robertff » 16 Dec 2021, 18:57

Matt Wilson wrote:
robertff wrote:I wonder what all the other onlookers were thinking?


.


"I can't believe I'm in the same room as the fucking BEATLES!!"




You would think so perhaps or maybe this is soooo dull and boring.


.

User avatar
cheifwhat
Posts: 6734
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:26
Location: WoOt!

Re: Get Back

Postby cheifwhat » 18 Dec 2021, 14:10

I just watched this and realy enjoyed it. It occured to me, as I was born in the early 70s that although i know a lot of Beatles music I'd never actually seen much of them. By the time i got into pop music, Lennon had just been killed and Paul was writing songs about frogs. So spending some time with the individuals who made up the beatles was great. The first episisode was a bit dull and although it got more interesting towards the end I was thinking it might be hard to get through the whole thing. Thanksfully, George left to provide a bit of drama and they changed location.

I got the feeling that they had grown apart after over a decade together. Paul was the leader, or at least, provided the energy and an attempt at some direction (Paul was the 'leader' compared to the rest, he wasn't exactly authoritarian). Yoko was just there, not particularly in the way or vocal or in the way. Didn't she have anything else to do? Wasn't she supposed to be an artist in her own right? Did she not have any projects of her own to be working on? I know it's the Beatles but I'd have been so bored and I'd have thought she might be a little self concious and buggered off to do something else occasionally, but then, i don't know how insistent John was that he 'needed' her there.

I was a bit puzzled by the hidden microphone in the flower pot in the canteen. Look i have no idea the layout of the canteen, but i generally think of canteens being quite big with lots of tables and other people around yet John and Paul chose the exact table the mic is at to have such an important chat and there is no background noise at all. Wowzers! Lucky or what?

Toward the end, the rooftop concert and Billy Preston, I was starting to get pretty fond of them all and miss them now it's all over. I wish more credit had been given to Billy and i wonder if him joining the band might have saved them from breaking up, they all liked him and it was George in particular that threated the bands existence who wanted him in. I wonder if him joining wouldn't have kept him happy and given them all a change to the dynamic they all needed.

It's a bit long and probably best to be be half doing something else while watching it at times but if you like the Beatles then it's well worth a watch.
Mostly dancing sir,...

User avatar
der Freiherr
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44863
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Get Back

Postby der Freiherr » 18 Dec 2021, 14:26

cheifwhat wrote:Yoko was just there, not particularly in the way or vocal or in the way. Didn't she have anything else to do? Wasn't she supposed to be an artist in her own right? Did she not have any projects of her own to be working on? I know it's the Beatles but I'd have been so bored and I'd have thought she might be a little self concious and buggered off to do something else occasionally, but then, i don't know how insistent John was that he 'needed' her there.


Some have suggested that it's all a performance on her part---it's all art.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/arts ... -back.html
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
cheifwhat
Posts: 6734
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:26
Location: WoOt!

Re: Get Back

Postby cheifwhat » 18 Dec 2021, 14:34

der Freiherr wrote:
cheifwhat wrote:Yoko was just there, not particularly in the way or vocal or in the way. Didn't she have anything else to do? Wasn't she supposed to be an artist in her own right? Did she not have any projects of her own to be working on? I know it's the Beatles but I'd have been so bored and I'd have thought she might be a little self concious and buggered off to do something else occasionally, but then, i don't know how insistent John was that he 'needed' her there.


Some have suggested that it's all a performance on her part---it's all art.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/arts ... -back.html


It's not a particularly good performance is it? I can't read the atricle without subscribing (American webistes are just parasitic aren't they?) but it suggests she is 'disrupting' the Beatles, I don't think she suceeded. If she was trying to disrupt, she would have done more than just sit there.
Mostly dancing sir,...

Positive Passion
Posts: 2008
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: Get Back

Postby Positive Passion » 18 Dec 2021, 15:06

cheifwhat wrote:I was a bit puzzled by the hidden microphone in the flower pot in the canteen. Look i have no idea the layout of the canteen, but i generally think of canteens being quite big with lots of tables and other people around yet John and Paul chose the exact table the mic is at to have such an important chat and there is no background noise at all. Wowzers! Lucky or what?


Well, I think Paul was dead at this point, so the actor playing him was probably in on it, and made sure they chose that table.

Minor point - we all stand together is not about frogs, is it? But sung by them.

Less minor point - most of the time they can't wait to go to lunch.

User avatar
cheifwhat
Posts: 6734
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:26
Location: WoOt!

Re: Get Back

Postby cheifwhat » 18 Dec 2021, 15:29

Positive Passion wrote:
cheifwhat wrote:I was a bit puzzled by the hidden microphone in the flower pot in the canteen. Look i have no idea the layout of the canteen, but i generally think of canteens being quite big with lots of tables and other people around yet John and Paul chose the exact table the mic is at to have such an important chat and there is no background noise at all. Wowzers! Lucky or what?


Well, I think Paul was dead at this point, so the actor playing him was probably in on it, and made sure they chose that table.

Minor point - we all stand together is not about frogs, is it? But sung by them.

Less minor point - most of the time they can't wait to go to lunch.


I don't think I have actuially heard the frog song since its release, so I'll take your word for it.

And who can't wait to go for lunch? I think enthusiasm for lunch is perfectly normal.

I think your first point about Paul being dead explains it perfectly and is the only possible explanation
Mostly dancing sir,...

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 46200
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Get Back

Postby The Prof » 24 Dec 2021, 11:00

The Prof wrote:
John_K wrote:As an aside John, Dopesick is also excellent and well worth a watch...


Thanks - I'll give it a spin.


You're right! and it wasn't until the last few minutes of the last episode that I realised it was all based on a true case and story!

User avatar
John_K
driven by lists
Posts: 12453
Joined: 02 Nov 2004, 14:01
Location: The Black Hole of BCB...

Re: Get Back

Postby John_K » 24 Dec 2021, 12:29

The Prof wrote:
The Prof wrote:
John_K wrote:As an aside John, Dopesick is also excellent and well worth a watch...


Thanks - I'll give it a spin.


You're right! and it wasn't until the last few minutes of the last episode that I realised it was all based on a true case and story!


Still to watch the last episode, it started late last night but herself was dozing so there was little point in continuing. Looking forward to it tonight. Glad you enjoyed it...

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 5471
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: Get Back

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 09 Jan 2022, 16:59

There’s a mammoth undertaking on I Am The Eggpod currently. A daily podcast about each of the Get Back/Let It Be days.

If you thought Peter Jackson’s film was long, long, long… :lol:

Check it out

https://audioboom.com/channels/4941819
Give a shit or be a shit.