I love the Harvey Averne Barrio Band

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

I love the Harvey Averne Barrio Band

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Oct 2021, 17:16

Harvey Averne has not been reissued much on CD, in fact, I don't even know how prolific he was in the LP era. But, he is one of the leading exponents of Boogaloo. In 1971 he cut an LP called "The Harvey Averne Barrio Band", which is a lot more advanced than your average Boogaloo knees-up. It has English lyrics, as most of his stuff does, and sits nicely at the juncture between the end of the Boogaloo era and the emergence of Salsa. Harvey Averne is not averse to a bit of rock guitar, but keeps everything tight, funky, and well in the groove. In short, Harvey Averne is my hero.

This is one of the best Latin albums in my collection:

The band line-up is like a who's who of Latin greats:

The Harvey Averne Barrio Band members consist of: Andy Gonzalez Bass, Nicky Marrero Timbales, Frankie Malabe & Johnny Rodriguez Congas & percussion, Edwin Rivera Drums, Larry Harlow Keyboards, Steve Monge Napoleoni Guitar, Coro Hector Lavoe, Ismael Miranda, Willie Colon & Ismael Quintana and others.

Christ, this is wonderful:
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Re: I love the Harvey Averne Barrio Band

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Oct 2021, 18:03

Very nice!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: I love the Harvey Averne Barrio Band

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Oct 2021, 21:02

Charlie O. wrote:Very nice!

Glad you like it! :)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck