I threw away what may have been Van Morrison's autograph

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

I threw away what may have been Van Morrison's autograph

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Oct 2021, 04:25

I like to replace my grotty, scratched, or broken jewel cases with shiny new ones. I buy them in bulk, 200 at a time. In fact, I replace something like 90% of all my purchases, most all the thrift shop and flea market finds. So the other day I was replacing the case of a Van Morrison live CD - forget which one, I've got tons of Van. In the back inlay there was a scrap of paper with the name "Van Morrison" scribbled hastily. The paper was cut off, right through some other writing. May have been some fan who got Van Morrison's autograph on the fly, on a random scap of paper and just put it in the back inlay. But I had no way of confirming it was Van, and besides, I prefer getting my music autographs in person, at meet'n'greets and such. So I didn't know what to do with it. Called Zilth Pilchards, he didn't want it. So I chucked it.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

trans-chigley express

Re: I threw away what may have been Van Morrison's autograph

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Oct 2021, 05:08

I've never really seen the point of autographs. Even when I've had the opportunity I've never asked for one. A photo with the star is a much better momento.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Oct 2021, 09:49

Best is a signed photo, I think. But who takes an 8 x 10 to a concert?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Oct 2021, 16:38

I saw a youtube clip the other day of a guy who brought a Zeppelin LP signed by all four members to a store, and he wanted $23,000 for it. The clerk actually offered him $8,000 (which surprised me) after having an expert authenticate it. The guy didn't sell though and was pissed he didn't get his asking price.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Oct 2021, 17:04

An LP with all six Beach Boys can also fetch high prices, Denny is the hard one to get there.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Oct 2021, 17:15

GoogaMooga wrote:An LP with all six Beach Boys can also fetch high prices, Denny is the hard one to get there.

My issue with that is that there's no proof they all signed it. Even the 'experts' can only ascertain if a pen was used, that it was years ago, and if the signature looks legit. Why anyone would spend thousands on signatures baffles me.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Oct 2021, 17:20

Matt Wilson wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:An LP with all six Beach Boys can also fetch high prices, Denny is the hard one to get there.

My issue with that is that there's no proof they all signed it. Even the 'experts' can only ascertain if a pen was used, that it was years ago, and if the signature looks legit. Why anyone would spend thousands on signatures baffles me.

Yes, I don't know how they verify. It's virtually impossible to get a multiple signing in one sitting, so those things are assembled over time.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 07 Oct 2021, 20:06

GoogaMooga wrote:So I chucked it.

good
You don't like me...do you?

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 07 Oct 2021, 20:18

Observers of the authentic signature of the diminutive Celtic bard are often surprised at how long the scrawl actually seems to be, but if you are able to decipher the hasty, aggressive wording of the genuine article you will find it reads 'I'm VAN MORRISON, yew Fokkin CONT, yew'
"To lose one guitarist, Mr. Allman, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness."

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Oct 2021, 21:03

yomptepi wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:So I chucked it.

good

:D