The Prog Premier League - The Final League Table

Do talk back
User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7462
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby robertff » 13 Oct 2021, 12:52

Vote in from C.thanks.


.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65702
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby C » 13 Oct 2021, 13:42

robertff wrote:Vote in from C.thanks.


.


It's a tough one.

I'm looking forward to the:

- how influential were they...?
- but it ain't prog...?
- of course the Americans can't do prog....!




.
slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7462
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby robertff » 13 Oct 2021, 14:37

Vote in from trans-chigley, thanks - only 5 so far.



.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 3293
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby Hightea » 14 Oct 2021, 04:38

surprised myself with who I picked 6-10

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7462
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby robertff » 14 Oct 2021, 10:07

Three more votes in, thanks Hightea, PB and John_K.


.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7462
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby robertff » 14 Oct 2021, 10:19

Two days to go before the end of voting for placings 6-10.


Only 8 votes in so far, is this because of greater difficulty?


Don't forget to PM votes to me, as these will be the only ones counted and a reminder please do not vote for any of the top five (see below) as these have already been voted for and decided.

The Top Five

1. Yes
2. Genesis
3. King Crimson
4. Pink Floyd
5. Jethro Tull

Thanks

.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65702
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby C » 14 Oct 2021, 12:21

robertff wrote:Two days to go before the end of voting for placings 6-10.


Only 8 votes in so far, is this because of greater difficulty?



Give it the personal touch Rob - PM the refuseniks separately!






:lol:
slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7462
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby robertff » 14 Oct 2021, 19:10

C wrote:
robertff wrote:Two days to go before the end of voting for placings 6-10.


Only 8 votes in so far, is this because of greater difficulty?



Give it the personal touch Rob - PM the refuseniks separately!

:lol:



Not sure who they all are C. You are more adept at this sort of thing than I am, so please feel free to do so.


.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 851
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby mudshark » 14 Oct 2021, 22:51

I just have one little bit to offer here:
Zappa's Hot Rats is not prog. At the time of release it was considered by most as Jazz-Rock or, even more anally, Rock-Jazz. And I'm not going to say that if you consider it prog then Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever should be considered as well.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 11727
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby John aka Josh » 14 Oct 2021, 23:31

mudshark wrote:I just have one little bit to offer here:
Zappa's Hot Rats is not prog. At the time of release it was considered by most as Jazz-Rock or, even more anally, Rock-Jazz. And I'm not going to say that if you consider it prog then Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever should be considered as well.







No need to worry - I'm considering Mahavishnu, Miles Davis '69 - '75 and Return to Forever, shall probably rule out Weather Report.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65702
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby C » 15 Oct 2021, 10:22

The challenge for 6 to 10 is whether nominations fit the prog criteria

Clearly in 1 to 5 the likes of Yes and Genesis do.

But Strawbs....?

They may have made a couple of prog-like albums (Hero & Heroine for example) but they were no way a prog band - the first two are folk/ folk/rock at best.

Still, it's all good clean fun - let's see what materialises.

[I think I voted for Strawbs.... :? ]

Zappa is not prog but I voted for the lad because I know others will too..!




.
slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7462
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby robertff » 15 Oct 2021, 11:37

C wrote:The challenge for 6 to 10 is whether nominations fit the prog criteria

Clearly in 1 to 5 the likes of Yes and Genesis do.

But Strawbs....?

They may have made a couple of prog-like albums (Hero & Heroine for example) but they were no way a prog band - the first two are folk/ folk/rock at best.

Still, it's all good clean fun - let's see what materialises.

[I think I voted for Strawbs.... :? ]

Zappa is not prog but I voted for the lad because I know others will too..!


.




Quite a maelstrom really, goodness knows what's going to turn up when we try for 11-20.



.


.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7462
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby robertff » 15 Oct 2021, 12:16

Interesting discography from Will Romano's book 'Mountains Come Out of the Sky' - the illustrated history of prog rock.


https://rateyourmusic.com/list/rebooted ... scography/



.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65702
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby C » 15 Oct 2021, 12:28

robertff wrote:
C wrote:The challenge for 6 to 10 is whether nominations fit the prog criteria

Clearly in 1 to 5 the likes of Yes and Genesis do.

But Strawbs....?

They may have made a couple of prog-like albums (Hero & Heroine for example) but they were no way a prog band - the first two are folk/ folk/rock at best.

Still, it's all good clean fun - let's see what materialises.

[I think I voted for Strawbs.... :? ]

Zappa is not prog but I voted for the lad because I know others will too..!


.




Quite a maelstrom really, goodness knows what's going to turn up when we try for 11-20.



.


.


All hell will be let loose Rob

The world will never be the same

What did REM sing….?



.
slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it

User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 10709
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby slightbreeze » 15 Oct 2021, 13:41

"That's great it started with a prog poll, no Coldplay or Dave Grohl, Peter Hammill's not afraid"

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 31194
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Oct 2021, 14:28

robertff wrote:Interesting discography from Will Romano's book 'Mountains Come Out of the Sky' - the illustrated history of prog rock.


https://rateyourmusic.com/list/rebooted ... scography/



.


Yeah, I love that list. 297 of his fave prog albums. It's funny what he leaves out as well. No 2112, Benefit, Atom Heart Mother, Gentle Giant, Stand Up, H to He, The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other, Lizard, In the Wake of Poseidon, Islands, Shanty Town, Starless & Bible Black, One Size Fits All, Point of Know Return, Heavy Horses, Permanent Waves, Duke, Moving Pictures, Script for a Jester's Tear, Brave, etc. Yet he's got all manner of LPs in there.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65702
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby C » 15 Oct 2021, 15:57

Ok, here's a contentious one:

Was Midge Ure's Ultravox prog....?




.
slightbreeze wrote:
C wrote:Will Barclay James Harvest feature well.....?

If we get as far as a top 100, I'd certainly consider it

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 3293
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby Hightea » 15 Oct 2021, 16:03

C wrote:
But Strawbs....?

They may have made a couple of prog-like albums (Hero & Heroine for example) but they were no way a prog band - the first two are folk/ folk/rock at best.






.

all prog
Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios (recorded live) (1970)
From the Witchwood (1971)
Grave New World (1972)
Bursting at the Seams (1973)
Hero and Heroine (1974)
Ghosts (1975)
Nomadness (1975)
Deep Cuts (1976)
Burning for You (1977)

no idea where you get one or two albums from.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 3293
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby Hightea » 15 Oct 2021, 16:04

Matt Wilson wrote:
robertff wrote:Interesting discography from Will Romano's book 'Mountains Come Out of the Sky' - the illustrated history of prog rock.


https://rateyourmusic.com/list/rebooted ... scography/



.


Yeah, I love that list. 297 of his fave prog albums. It's funny what he leaves out as well. No 2112, Benefit, Atom Heart Mother, Gentle Giant, Stand Up, H to He, The Least We Can Do is Wave to Each Other, Lizard, In the Wake of Poseidon, Islands, Shanty Town, Starless & Bible Black, One Size Fits All, Point of Know Return, Heavy Horses, Permanent Waves, Duke, Moving Pictures, Script for a Jester's Tear, Brave, etc. Yet he's got all manner of LPs in there.

personally I find it an awful list. It really only delves into the major prog acts and blows off several sub-genre and lesser bands. Although I'm sure its a good read about the major acts.
Last edited by Hightea on 15 Oct 2021, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 3293
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: The Prog Premier League - Now vote for the 6-10 placings

Postby Hightea » 15 Oct 2021, 16:23

John aka Josh wrote:
mudshark wrote:I just have one little bit to offer here:
Zappa's Hot Rats is not prog. At the time of release it was considered by most as Jazz-Rock or, even more anally, Rock-Jazz. And I'm not going to say that if you consider it prog then Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever should be considered as well.







No need to worry - I'm considering Mahavishnu, Miles Davis '69 - '75 and Return to Forever, shall probably rule out Weather Report.



:lol: :lol: Hot Rats- Bingo Rock jazz with classical tones. prog. How the hell does anyone not think "Peaches en Regalia" is not prog? Really so jazz people were going to Zappa concerts in the 70's? Zappa had endless lineups thruout the 70's of top flight musicians and they were not playing jazz.
Sorry I'll just continue to disagree with all of you on what is prog. RTF, MO and Weather Report are the trio of jazz fusion that fits the prog mold.