Love and Marriage

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Love and Marriage

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Oct 2021, 19:31

I'm getting rid of my 2 CD set, "My Way - The Best of Frank Sinatra", which covers both Capitol and Reprise. It's well annotated, incl. recording dates, but how many times do I need "Love and Marriage"? It's by far and away his worst song. In fact, it may be his only bad song, and yet it crops up again and again. Bloody annoying.

What made him record it, I wonder? He had enough clout that he could refuse. Pretty sure he had his pick of the songs. So why that one?

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Love and Marriage

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Oct 2021, 19:33

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 06 Oct 2021, 02:25

It was written for a TV musical adaptation of "Our Town" in which he starred, by two of his songwriting pals. And of course it was a hit.

Many CD players allow you to skip songs; same goes if you rip the album.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Oct 2021, 07:49

Muskrat wrote:
Many CD players allow you to skip songs; same goes if you rip the album.

I know. But I am too lazy. :)

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 06 Oct 2021, 08:06

I have that, it's a great collection, some of the finest versions of Sinatra's songs. It might be the only album we both own, and you're getting rid of it.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 06 Oct 2021, 08:26

Nowhere near as bad as High Hopes.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Oct 2021, 10:53

Darkness_Fish wrote:I have that, it's a great collection, some of the finest versions of Sinatra's songs. It might be the only album we both own, and you're getting rid of it.

Could very well be! :D I've got the songs on other CD's.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Oct 2021, 10:54

Positive Passion wrote:Nowhere near as bad as High Hopes.

That's pretty bad, too.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 07 Oct 2021, 02:17

GoogaMooga wrote:

That's pretty bad, too.

Another movie song by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy van Heusen that may have worked better on screen.

Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Oct 2021, 04:15

Muskrat wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:

That's pretty bad, too.

Another movie song by Sammy Cahn and Jimmy van Heusen that may have worked better on screen.

I saw that movie. Yes, it's better that way.