Kool & the Gang - funk vs disco years

Do talk back

Which period of Kool & the Gang do you prefer?

funk
No votes
disco
100%

Total votes: 1

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Kool & the Gang - funk vs disco years

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Sep 2021, 17:11

I am tapping along to a 1988 Polygram comp of Kool & the Gang called "The Singles Collection", and as expected, it has great sound, as early remasters so often do. Worth getting even if you already have another comp by them, as the chosen tracks here for the most part are the single edits.

This one concentrates on the disco/dance years of the 80s, when they reigned supreme, with floor fillers like "Celebration", and my all-time favorite, "Straight Ahead". This one takes you back to the decade when they got into the falsetto harmonies and the call-and-response choruses, and went all-out disco. They were at their peak of popularity, but actually they date all the way back to 1964 and spent most of the 70s cutting raw funk like "Jungle Boogie". If you're a fan like I am, you'll want both periods, but if you had to choose, which period would you prefer?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck