Italian Deep Disco

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Italian Deep Disco

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Sep 2021, 11:36

I'm listening to vol.1 of a Scandinavian Italo Disco 2CD comp, "Rewind", and I am just four tracks in, three of which are crap! At its best, Italo Disco, or Italian Deep Disco as it is sometimes called, offered a sleazier slice of disco, with less punishing beats and more heavy breathing and casual handclapping, rigorously shifting between clipped sounds, forceful synthesizer stabs, and catchy choruses delivered with honest emotion. But then you get something like "Vamos a la Playa", or "Dolce Vita" by Ryan Paris, and the less said about them, the better. This is not an outright dismissal of the genre, but I really need a better curated comp than this garbage. The potential is there. They don't call it "deep disco" for nothing. Okay, now it's Ken Laszlo with his awful irrelevancy, "Tonight". Any more of this and I'll be playing the Baha Men next!

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Italian Deep Disco

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Sep 2021, 14:02

What next, French Rap?

A huge genre in France.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Sep 2021, 08:27

Walk In My Shadow wrote:What next, French Rap?

A huge genre in France.

Well, I've got MC Solaar. How 'bout some Danish rap?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 01 Oct 2021, 01:25

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Oct 2021, 05:56

never/ever wrote:https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-history-of-italo-disco/?amp

Very interesting, thanks for sharing! :) A few great names are dropped in that essay, and it's interesting to see how influential the genre was, and how it encompassed both the worst and some of the best pop at the time.

Giorgio Moroder is a giant, of course, and even Sabrina sounds pretty good. "Deep disco" is not mentioned at all.