Richard H Kirk RIP

Do talk back
Deebank
Resonator

Richard H Kirk RIP

Postby Deebank » 21 Sep 2021, 19:40

I’m not sure how many Cabaret Voltaire fans we have but I was saddened to hear that Richard H Kirk has died.

Under rated Innovator and instigator, the world is now a less interesting place With his passing.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Darkness_Fish

Re: Richard H Kirk RIP

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Sep 2021, 15:30

I loved the early years when Chris Watson was in the band, but felt they were less essential after that. I own a few odds and sods from the Cabs, and from Richard solo, but I don't think they ever bettered Red Mecca, and this track especially:

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 26 Sep 2021, 11:07

Darkness_Fish wrote:I loved the early years when Chris Watson was in the band, but felt they were less essential after that. I own a few odds and sods from the Cabs, and from Richard solo, but I don't think they ever bettered Red Mecca, and this track especially:

Agreed.A lot of their later eighties stuff sounds a bit thin and almost tinny to my ears at times. Always interesting though.

A musical friend of mine has the Nag Nag Nag drum box - a Selmer MR 101 I think. Apparently the Cabs liked it because it was the 'hardest' drum machine around in an era of Bontempi home organ type gear better suited to working mens' club singers. Still sounds brilliant.And that guitar sound is brutal and unique (there's some weird band pass filter type thing on it). Wonderful stuff...

I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Sep 2021, 09:19

Deebank wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:A musical friend of mine has the Nag Nag Nag drum box - a Selmer MR 101 I think. Apparently the Cabs liked it because it was the 'hardest' drum machine around in an era of Bontempi home organ type gear better suited to working mens' club singers.

A lot of the bands who were directly influenced by Cabaret Voltaire as industrial went more electronic around 82/83 were really the first to pick up on the Roland TB303/Drumatrix combo to get that harder drum and bass sound, too. Not really the sound it became associated with over the years...
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Sep 2021, 10:49

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:A musical friend of mine has the Nag Nag Nag drum box - a Selmer MR 101 I think. Apparently the Cabs liked it because it was the 'hardest' drum machine around in an era of Bontempi home organ type gear better suited to working mens' club singers.

A lot of the bands who were directly influenced by Cabaret Voltaire as industrial went more electronic around 82/83 were really the first to pick up on the Roland TB303/Drumatrix combo to get that harder drum and bass sound, too. Not really the sound it became associated with over the years...

I think it was a very interesting time for music technology. The 606/303 combination didn't really take off on its release (it was sold as a surrogate rhythm section for guitarists and keyboardists) - although the connectivity of the two machines was impressive they were quickly overtaken by digital / midi machines and it would take a while for these analogue boxes to be fully appreciated - like you say. There were some fans at the time of course. In my teens I read magazines like Electronic Music Maker and International Musician :lol:. I considered buying many bits of equipment including the the 303/606 at the time but spent my money on something more essential. That Nag Nag Nag drum machine was a definite holy grail though you could have probably picked them up for pennies!.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Sep 2021, 09:19

This is a good resource for primitive music tech nerdery...

http://www.muzines.co.uk/mags

And other 'interesting' stuff.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Sep 2021, 15:12

Whoever said the music business wasn't sexy?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 Sep 2021, 16:19

Darkness_Fish wrote:Whoever said the music business wasn't sexy?

:lol:

:? Some people (blokes) find sports cars are their objects of desire, others persue rare recordings and limited edition vinyl. For me it's dusty old synthesisers and stuff with knobs , switches and sliders.

I have this on my desk...

I rarely plug anything into it (fnar!)