MTV is 40

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

MTV is 40

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Sep 2021, 14:58

Madonna was the surprise mc at the VMA's this weekend. The Queen of Pop got to open MTV's 40th birthday celebrations. Now 63, Madonna was one of MTV's first stars, hitting big with her unique brand of bubblegum sleaze, "Like a Virgin":

from https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mad ... 46145.html

"Around 40 years ago, I came to New York City with nothing but $35 and a pair of dance shoes. I told the taxi driver to take me to the center of it all. He dropped me off in Times Square. I was 19 and terrified, but it was just the first step. I knew that someday, with a lot of hard work, I'd be known not just in New York City, but all over the world. Forty years ago, another underdog arrived in New York City, hoping to create something revolutionary: an all-music channel premiered in the middle of the night and called itself MTV. We found each other and formed a bond that changed my life, changed music, and created a whole new art form. That's why there's only one place to be tonight."

1. What was the first video you watched on MTV? Maybe MJ "Beat It"
2. When did MTV stop being a novelty? By the mid-80s
3. When did you drop MTV altogether? 2009
4. Has MTV in any way changed your listening habits or your perception of music? No, but I do appreciate a clever video, like those of Spike Jonze.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”