Did a Quentin Tarantino soundtrack ever make you buy something?

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Did a Quentin Tarantino soundtrack ever make you buy something?

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Sep 2021, 18:39

Tarantino as you know, chooses his own AM radio hits to score his films. Some of those OST's do well. "Pulp Fiction" sold well and gave new life to Dick Dale's "Miserlou". I don't think I have any OST of his, but I might consider a career overview, a best of the OST's. I don't buy the OST's because they have got dialogue bits, and usually it is only one or two tracks that I am going after. The only picture where I actively sought out a comp was "Reservoir Dogs", for Stealers Wheel and George Baker Selection.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 10 Sep 2021, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

mudshark

Re: Did a Quentin Tarantino soundtrack ever make you buy something?

Postby mudshark » 07 Sep 2021, 18:49

I have the Jackie Brown OST and I still play it quite a bit, and it renewed my interest in acts like Bobby Womack, The Delfonics and Brothers Johnson.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 07 Sep 2021, 19:14

mudshark wrote:I have the Jackie Brown OST and I still play it quite a bit, and it renewed my interest in acts like Bobby Womack, The Delfonics and Brothers Johnson.

You've reminded me that I've got "Jackie Brown" on CD, from thrift. I just don't remember if it has dialogue, but I have kept kept it at any rate.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 07 Sep 2021, 23:43

It's got dialogue.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Sep 2021, 15:10

Expanding it to soundtrack albums in general I bought a Sigor Ros album on the strength of a track from the Vanilla Sky soundtrack album.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 09 Sep 2021, 21:58

Tarantino is partially to blame for me liking Leonard Cohen, Waiting the miracle and The Future are on the soundtrack. Might also be to blame for my love for Cowboy Junkies as Sweet Jane cover from the Trinity Session is on the same soundtrack.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 Sep 2021, 00:18

Pool Hall Richard wrote:Tarantino is partially to blame for me liking Leonard Cohen, Waiting the miracle and The Future are on the soundtrack. Might also be to blame for my love for Cowboy Junkies as Sweet Jane cover from the Trinity Session is on the same soundtrack.

Leonard Cohen is not an artist I'd expect to find on a Tarantino curated OST, but there you are. Tarantino has room for singer-songwriters in his busy life. :D

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 10 Sep 2021, 01:50

I bought a cd by the Japanese girl group The 5,6,7,8s solely because of their performance in Kill Bill.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 Sep 2021, 23:02

GoogaMooga wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:Tarantino is partially to blame for me liking Leonard Cohen, Waiting the miracle and The Future are on the soundtrack. Might also be to blame for my love for Cowboy Junkies as Sweet Jane cover from the Trinity Session is on the same soundtrack.

Leonard Cohen is not an artist I'd expect to find on a Tarantino curated OST, but there you are. Tarantino has room for singer-songwriters in his busy life. :D

Cohen was on the soundtrack for Natural Born Killers. QT did the screenplay and nothing else. The soundtrack was done by Trent Reznor.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 Sep 2021, 23:11

Jimbly wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:

Cohen was on the soundtrack for Natural Born Killers. QT did the screenplay and nothing else. The soundtrack was done by Trent Reznor.

Thanks for clarifying.

Return to “Yakety Yak”