Suddenly everybody's a Stones fan

Do talk back
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Suddenly everybody's a Stones fan

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 26 Aug 2021, 21:10

It took Charlie to shuffle off this world and then everybody -out of the blue- loves the Stones again.

I recall discussions on here that so-and-so was their last great albums, no that's not right this-and-that was the last great.

Well friends, all their albums are worthwhile. I know because I have them all and they all get serious listens.

And if you want a particular later album where Charlie truly shines, get Bridgets to Babylon.

End of rant.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Suddenly everybody's a Stones fan

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Aug 2021, 21:12

I haven't got Metamorphosis yet, but plan to. The blues album I think I can do without.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Aug 2021, 21:17

You don't need Metamorphosis, unless you're a completist.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 26 Aug 2021, 21:24

Imagine people wanting to mark the passing of the drummer of one of the most important bands to ever exist. The nerve of some people!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Aug 2021, 21:26

You don't need anything past Tatoo You unless you're a completist either.

And no one is 'suddenly' a Stones fan. I suspect the people here that criticized the newer stuff have not changed their mind in the slightest, and still have the exact same favorites they always did. I know I haven't, and do.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Aug 2021, 21:31

toomanyhatz wrote:You don't need anything past Tatoo You unless you're a completist either.

I'd add Steel Wheels. The tour of that one was the first time I saw them live.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Aug 2021, 21:32

Matt Wilson wrote:You don't need Metamorphosis, unless you're a completist.

An album of rejects from their purple patch. I would have to check the track list.

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 26 Aug 2021, 22:01

Don't own one single piece of music by them, nothing at all. Never liked them, never will.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 26 Aug 2021, 22:07

Just for "I'd Much Rather Be With the Boys," I'd say Metamorphosis is worth having.

It's a very cynical release, for the purpose of ABKCO making money off the remaining masters they owned, but it's not as bad as its reputation.

I mean, it is rejects from a very fertile period, even if it's not stuff the band chose to release.

The Beatles Anthologies have some weak tracks too.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 26 Aug 2021, 22:26

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Well friends, all their albums are worthwhile.

slightbreeze wrote:Don't own one single piece of music by them, nothing at all. Never liked them, never will.

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

robertff

Postby robertff » 26 Aug 2021, 22:45

Always been a Stones’ fan and have regularly championed their later albums, all of which are at least good, if not very good, some even better.

There has been this constant barrage of ‘the Stones are a spent force’ or ‘why don’t they give up’ and other dismissive comments for decades and I for one am truly pleased that they didn’t. They are my band, the ones whose albums I always buy, the band that have given me the most pleasure, the one that I have seen live the most.

I stated years ago that when they are gone they will be missed and it will take that for their later work to be appreciated. It could be that this is the end, I don’t think so and I hope not but it could be, which I’m sure will satisfy all those who wanted them to finish after Exile in order to preserve their ‘legacy’ - what nonsense. Perhaps they should have given up then as obviously no-one wanted to see them live after that or buy any of their records did they?

And ‘Blue and Lonesome’ is a very good album.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 26 Aug 2021, 23:17

Walk In My Shadow wrote:It took Charlie to shuffle off this world…

WHAT?

When did this happen?
Why haven’t I read anything?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Aug 2021, 00:52

Relax, Muskrat - he doesn't mean me!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Aug 2021, 02:12

Weren't all their record-breaking tours after Exile? I'd love to see a comp of the best from the later albums, say from Steel Wheels up, as there are enough gems to make a cracking set. But you can't underestimate Charlie's importance. A bit like Keith Moon and Dennis Wilson, the bands were never the same again after their passing. So I think Rolling Stones should call it a day.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 27 Aug 2021, 08:28

Obviously all Stones are generally better than most records put out there, even if not up to their highest levels.
Blue and Lonesome is ace.
A bigger bang is alright
Bridges to Babylon is ace, though hard to believe it is 24 years old - where did that time go?
Stripped is brilliant, though of course it is reworkings of earlier songs
Voodoo lounge is alright
Steel wheels is very good.

Then there are live albums from this period - Flashpoint, No security, Live licks and Shine a light, all of which are ace. I haven't got the Hyde Park one (there are a lot of archive live releases, some digital only - I couldn't keep up with them).

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 28 Aug 2021, 20:36

I read all this obituaries that say he was the best drummer ever etc. etc. Is that just because he'd recently died or is that genuine stuff? Obviously he's a damn good drummer otherwise you don't survive at the top of the R&R echelon for 50 years or so. But would he have survived playing with Miles, Zappa or John Mclaughlin, to name just a few? I for one don't think so.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Aug 2021, 20:49

mudshark wrote:I read all this obituaries that say he was the best drummer ever etc. etc. Is that just because he'd recently died or is that genuine stuff? Obviously he's a damn good drummer otherwise you don't survive at the top of the R&R echelon for 50 years or so. But would he have survived playing with Miles, Zappa or John Mclaughlin, to name just a few? I for one don't think so.

He wasn't that kind of drummer, really. I know Charlie's great passion was jazz, and maybe I need to immerse myself in some of his playing in that genre, but I think of him as a 'meat and potatoes' kind of guy. At least that's the way I heard his drumming described as decades ago, and the description has stuck with me.

No, I don't hear him as being a Bruford-styled fusion progressive who would have been at home playing with Miles or Zappa.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 Aug 2021, 00:18

I think Charlie was a keen jazz drummer but never Carl Palmer flash or Bill Bruford.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 29 Aug 2021, 18:52

OK,. so who was the better drummer Charlie or Ringo? Just looked up the latter. He's 81! Looks better now than Watts at 50 (and me at 60). Rolling Stone magazine has him as the 14th best drummer evva! The Wembley Whammer is ranked at #12, so it's close (separated only be DJ Fontana of Elvis fame). But that list has Bonzo at the top so it's not worth the website it's written on. Just wondering.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Aug 2021, 19:19

I say Ringo. The Beatles were lucky to have him.

Return to “Yakety Yak”