Queen

Do talk back
robertff

Queen

Postby robertff » 26 Aug 2021, 16:26

Rarely if ever mentioned here - hugely popular over a long period, think their greatest hits is one of the biggest selling albums of all time but does anyone here like them?

I’m not really much of a fan but I don’t mind playing something by them every now and again. Collected most of their albums on vinyl when people were almost throwing their vinyl away, so I have most, if not all, of their albums (well they were ridiculously cheap). They made many great singles but whole albums never really did it for me.

So anyone here like them, if so, what are your favourites?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Queen

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Aug 2021, 16:30

They have the best-selling single in the UK, "Bohemian Rhapsody". I like two songs: "Under Pressure" and "You're My Best Friend." "Under Pressure" I've got on a VA, while the latter I am still looking for on another VA. I know it is found on at least one VA, but I forget which one!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 26 Aug 2021, 17:06

They certainly have their moments, certainly up to and including A Day the Races. There was a poll done a while back

viewtopic.php?t=140919

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 26 Aug 2021, 17:19

I love ‘em, and there are a few people on here who like all or some of their stuff.

They are unquestionably part of the cultural fabric, and several of their songs are as ubiquitous as Happy Birthday. They are consistently popular with each succeeding generation, and have survived being regarded as a bit naff. Their greatest songs are up there with the very best.
They also did some terrible shite, though not as much in my book as for others.

There is a sense that for them pop music was a lot more perspiration than inspiration, and this is borne out by the fact that they appear to have released at the time nearly everything they recorded - there is no untapped Queen “vault”, as there apparently is for say Prince or the Stones.

Live, they were one of the greatest acts. They knew how to put on a show and did it brilliantly.

Most people go for the first three or four albums, but The Game is a superb collection of tracks in various musical styles, though their Police pastiche (Don’t try suicide) is one of their worst tracks. The later albums - the Miracle, Innuendo and Heaven for everyone - are all at least three quarters really very good.

The only song I wish they had never recorded is Life is real, (song for Lennon) on Hot Space, which is meant to sound a bit like Jealous Guy but is just awful.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 26 Aug 2021, 17:35

I love the first album and then it's diminishing returns all the way for me.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 27 Aug 2021, 00:25

GoogaMooga wrote:They have the best-selling single in the UK, "Bohemian Rhapsody". I like two songs: "Under Pressure" and "You're My Best Friend." "Under Pressure" I've got on a VA, while the latter I am still looking for on another VA. I know it is found on at least one VA, but I forget which one!

Candle in the Wind and Feed the World sold more than BR
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 27 Aug 2021, 00:41

Jimbly wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:They have the best-selling single in the UK, "Bohemian Rhapsody". I like two songs: "Under Pressure" and "You're My Best Friend." "Under Pressure" I've got on a VA, while the latter I am still looking for on another VA. I know it is found on at least one VA, but I forget which one!

Candle in the Wind and Feed the World sold more than BR

Yes, I remembered wrong, but BR did top a list, maybe airplay or something.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 28 Aug 2021, 08:10

They were a great albums band in the mid 70s
A good albums band in the late 70s
And a magnificent singles act in the 80s.

And yeah they were spectacularly good live - as long as they were playing their own songs.
For some inexplicable reason they used to pepper their sets with awful awful rock and roll covers
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 28 Aug 2021, 10:01

Bought first 4 albums, quite enjoyable actually. Saw them live in 1975 ,,,,pretty good although Brian May's guitar became wearisome after a while, each solo sounding the same. Lost interest after that although enjoyed several other singles ...."Radio gaga" still gets me. Career going into nosedive in the 80's, rescued by "Live Aid". Always classified them as "cabaret rock" as they never seemed a genuine rock band. If Freddie had lived, he'd probably have had a really successful career. The others? Well, John Deacon wasn't arsed with fame, anyway. The other two? Don't give a damn

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 28 Aug 2021, 10:03

Love the first four/five albums.
Dont play them often, but they are very good.
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

robertff

Postby robertff » 28 Aug 2021, 10:21

Based on some of what has been mentioned here, perhaps I'l give some of those Queen albums I've got another listen.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 28 Aug 2021, 12:06

ConnyOlivetti wrote:Love the first four/five albums.
Dont play them often, but they are very good.

I'll go along with that, plus I do enjoy the first Greatest Hits collection which includes all my favorite tracks from the albums after A Day at the Races up the The Game. After that album even the singles failed to interest me

Return to “Yakety Yak”