RIP Charles Connor

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

RIP Charles Connor

Postby Muskrat » 02 Aug 2021, 06:19

He kept a knockin’

After [Charles] Connor turned 18, he joined Richard’s original road band, The Upsetters. The band appeared in several popular feature films including “The Girl Can’t Help It” with Jayne Mansfield along with “Don’t Knock the Rock” and “Mr. Rock ‘n’ Roll.”
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Charlie O.

Re: RIP Charles Connor

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Aug 2021, 08:07

"Keep A Knockin'" is sometimes my favorite record ever, and he's a key reason why. The cat was a powerhouse.

R.I.P.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: RIP Charles Connor

Postby Muskrat » 02 Aug 2021, 19:30

More on Connor.

Connor continues to bang out his irresistible beat at rock & roll fantasy camps and also with Big Dick, the local female-fronted Richard tribute band. Says Connor: “Richard, he's 82 now, he had that hip surgery and has quit performing. So, he told me, 'I'm counting on you to keep my music alive. Don't let it die!'?” That seems unlikely. After all, although studio jazz genius Earl Palmer played on most of Richard's records, Connor's groundbreaking drum intro on “Keep A-Knockin'?” – the song from which he gets his nickname – should live forever.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Return to “Yakety Yak”