Yma Sumac, the Goddess of Exotica

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Yma Sumac, the Goddess of Exotica

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Jul 2021, 07:44

As you are probably aware, I am busy culling CD's, to make room for new purchases. Now the turn has come to that most exotic of exotica, the multi-octave-ranged Yma Sumac. If you think Minnie Riperton, Mariah Carey, or even Mrs. Mills could hit the high notes, wait till you hear Yma Sumac. She had a range of FIVE octaves. That's two more than even the most trained singers. Sumac recorded on Capitol, top exotica label in the progressive 1950s. With Moises Vivanco arranging, Sumac's "songs" don't really need words. It's all thrills and trills. The titles of the songs are really something, too - some kind of Inca loan words, I would think - "Tumpo", "Monos", "Xtabay", and my personal favorite, "Wanka". So yes, it is all very strange, but my worry is that a full CD of this stuff is too wearisome. Sumac has a place in music history, but does she also have a place in my archives?

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

pcqgod

Re: Yma Sumac, the Goddess of Exotica

Postby pcqgod » 07 Jul 2021, 23:36

Funny, I was just reminded of her when I recently listened to the episode of the "A History of Rock in 500 Songs" podcast devoted to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Yma's version of the song includes vocal lines that were incorporated into the hit version by The Tokens. As for me, I decided that no Yma Sumac in my collection wasn't enough, but two cd's were too many, so I kept the 'Mambo' album and sold the 'Legend of the Sun Virgin' cd.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Yma Sumac, the Goddess of Exotica

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Jul 2021, 04:44

pcqgod wrote:Funny, I was just reminded of her when I recently listened to the episode of the "A History of Rock in 500 Songs" podcast devoted to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Yma's version of the song includes vocal lines that were incorporated into the hit version by The Tokens. As for me, I decided that no Yma Sumac in my collection wasn't enough, but two cd's were too many, so I kept the 'Mambo' album and sold the 'Legend of the Sun Virgin' cd.

Yeah, "Mambo" is probably the one to keep, if you must.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”