Tell me about Glen Campbell

Do talk back
C
Robust

Tell me about Glen Campbell

Postby C » 03 Jul 2021, 18:24

Other than Wichita Lineman, Galvaston and Rhinestone Cowboy that is me done

Am I missing something?

He's a pretty good guitarist - isn't he?

Well?

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Tell me about Glen Campbell

Postby Matt Wilson » 03 Jul 2021, 18:42

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 03 Jul 2021, 19:45

He was the linesman at Notts County
Give a shit or be a shit.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Jul 2021, 20:26

Guess I'm Dumb
Anything with Jimmy Webb involvement.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Jul 2021, 20:55

Before he was famous he played in a band led by Dick Bills in Albuquerque, NM. Not really important but Dick Bills was the uncle of my aunt’s husband so my uncle by marriage I guess. My Uncle Don gave me an album with Glen Campbell playing instrumental music with a pianist Stan Capps called Guitar Gold. It’s kind of jazzy in style. He was an amazing guitarist that could play in a variety of styles. TV ruined him imo though the talent was obvious. His Reunion album with Jimmy Webb is pretty good. They cover a Lowell George song Roll ‘Em Easy on that one. He was Webb’s best interpreter imho.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 04 Jul 2021, 00:15

C wrote:O

Well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_kbgjsuCec

Brit analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4qhDdNDke4

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 04 Jul 2021, 10:44

C wrote:Other than Wichita Lineman, Galvaston and Rhinestone Cowboy that is me done

Am I missing something?

By the time I get to Phoenix?

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Jul 2021, 12:07

Matt Wilson wrote:
Brit analysis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4qhDdNDke4

Thanks Matt.

Most excellent

To be honest it was one of this bloke's analysis videos that I stumbled upon that motivated me to start the thread

I had no idea that Glen was such a good guitarist

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 04 Jul 2021, 13:38

I saw him at the Albert Hall in 1988 supporting Johnny Cash. Until then I'd had no idea he was such a fantastic guitarist. He played one mad solo using a whole tone scale.

He was in the Beach Boys for a while in their early days.
Bugger off.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Jul 2021, 14:19

Rorschach wrote:

Six months, subbing for Brian who had had his first nervous breakdown
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 04 Jul 2021, 14:47

GoogaMooga wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Six months, subbing for Brian who had had his first nervous breakdown

And here he is doing a Wilson production.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 05 Jul 2021, 07:08

der Freiherr wrote:
And here he is doing a Wilson production.

Wow. Amazing vocals.

Weird mouth shapes though.
Bugger off.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 06 Jul 2021, 17:58

'Witchita Lineman' is one of my favourite songs, easily top twenty all time favourites for me. It is one of those songs I can play on repeat over and over a good few times before moving on.

For years I was troubled that little in Glen Campbell's other recordings appealed to me. Outside the obvious hits. That seems strange- in general, if you record one of my favourite songs you traditionally get quite a pass for your discography as far as I am concerned. I'm looking at you, Genesis and Bobby Zimmerman.

One day I tried to figure out the Campbell Conundrum, and this is what I came up with:

I love a lot of country artists. Johnny Cash. Waylon Jennings. Hank Williams Jr. Hank Williams Sr. ALL the Hank Williams. George Jones. Willie Nelson. The thing is, the country artists I love would all be said to a greater or lesser extent to be outlaw artists. We could debate what this means for a long time, but a really good indicator is this: do they have in their biography somewhere the phrase 'A reconciliation with Nashville traditionalists and the country audience would be some years in the future'?

Now if we read Wittgenstein on sets and classification, we realise that if we have talented, heartfelt artists who are classed as outside the Nashville country music tradition, then we have to acknowledge that there are others equally gifted who are defined as remaining inside that tradition.

That's what Glen Campbell is: a traditional country artist. He would probably have corrected me to say 'a country entertainer'. There is nothing in his recorded work, as far as I have heard, that would alarm any kind of fan of country music contemporary to the time it was recorded. Same with his private life as reported.

That's a big difference to the country artists I enjoy. And it doesn't by any stretch mean ole GC was any kind of saint - he had problems with booze, and drugs, and when he encountered country star Tanya Tucker, who began her career at age thirteen, he offered her (in time) a heck of a lot more than paternal encouragement. To be clear, the stormy GC-Tucker liaison was between wives and ten years into her career, when she was in her early twenties and he was in his mid-forties.

Jesus healed Glen of his substance abuse problems and his roaming ways and pointed him back towards his marriage to a good Christian woman. I am not being in any way cynical about that, the story they both tell is moving and heartfelt:

https://www.guideposts.org/better-livin ... ll-on-gods

But, and this is something for me to think about, this is not a story that my country artists could or would tell. There are many selections in Glen Campbell's work that I just cannot fathom - they aren't bad music by any means, they just aren't for me. We have no common ground on this - we are incommensurable, says Wittgenstein, when Glen sings about his faith and his family and whatnot:

As you say, a very good guitarist. So is Ted Nugent.
Last edited by LMG on 06 Jul 2021, 18:30, edited 2 times in total.

C
Robust

Postby C » 06 Jul 2021, 18:18

LMG wrote:'Witchita Lineman' is one of my favourite songs, easily top twenty all time favourites for me. It is one of those songs I can play on repeat over and over a good few times before moving on.

For years I was troubled that little in Glen Campbell's other recordings appealed to me. Outside the obvious hits. That seems strange- in general, if you record one of my favourite songs you traditionally get quite a pass for your discography as far as I am concerned. I'm looking at you, Genesis and Bobby Zimmerman.

One day I tried to figure out the Campbell Conundrum, and this is what I came up with:

I love a lot of country artists. Johnny Cash. Waylon Jennings. Hank Williams Jr. Hank Williams Sr. ALL the Hank Williams. George Jones. Willie Nelson. The thing is, the country artists I love would all be said to be outlaw artists. We could debate what this means for a long time, but a really good indicator is this: do they have in their biography somewhere the phrase 'A reconciliation with Nashville traditionalists and the country audience would be some years in the future'?

Now if we read Wittgenstein on sets and classification, we realise that if we have talented, heartfelt artists who are classed as outside the Nashville country music tradition, then we have to acknowledge that there are others equally gifted who are defined as remaining inside that tradition.

That's what Glen Campbell is: a traditional country artist. He would probably have corrected me to say 'a country entertainer'. There is nothing in his recorded work, as far as I have head, that would alarm any kind of fan of country music contemporary to the time it was recorded.

That's a big difference to the country artists I enjoy. And it doesn't by any stretch mean ole GC was any kind of saint - he had problems with booze, and drugs, and when he encountered country star Tanya Tucker, who began her career at age thirteen, he offered her (in time) a heck of a lot more than paternal encouragement. To be clear, the stormy GC-Tucker liaison was between wives and ten years into her career, when she was in her early twenties and he was in his mid-forties.

Jesus healed Glen of his substance abuse problems and pointed him back towards his marriage to a good Christian woman. I am not being in any way cynical about that, the story they both tell is moving and heartfelt:

https://www.guideposts.org/better-livin ... ll-on-gods

But, and this is something for me to think about, this is not a story that my country artists could or would tell. There are many selections in Glen Campbell's work that I just cannot fathom - they aren't bad music by any means, they just aren't for me. We have no common ground on this - we are incommensurable, says Wittgenstein, when Glen sings about his faith and his family and whatnot:

As you say, a very good guitarist. So is Ted Nugent.

Nice post

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Jul 2021, 19:11

Carlsson wrote:Other than Wichita Lineman, Galvaston and Rhinestone Cowboy that is me done

Am I missing something?

Well?

He was a pioneer of guitar distortion, back in the early 60's when he was a session player on surf rock records.

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Yakety Yak”