All Things Must Pass - 50th Deluxe - Dig Deep

Do talk back
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: All Things Must Pass - 50th Deluxe - Dig Deep

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Jun 2021, 13:41

Tom Waits For No One wrote:

This is what this sort of thing is all about, though, really cool. I only wish that it would blow up in the middle into full Allman Brothers "Mountain Jam" territory for about 10 minutes only to settle back into the song for the beautiful ending. Unfortunately, the third record of ATMP conclusively demonstrates that they just weren't capable of that.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 11 Jun 2021, 14:51

I'm looking forward to the new mix and hoping it might meet what Harrison wrote about in the liner notes for the 2001 release:

"I still like the songs on the album and believe they can continue to outlive the style in which they were recorded.
It was difficult to resist re-mixing every track.
All these years later I would like to liberate some of the songs from the big production that seemed appropriate at the time, but now seem a bit over the top with the reverb in the wall of sound"

As yomp says it is impossible to know now what Harrison would want in a remix, but I hope his son and Paul Hicks do him credit.
For the asking price of these deluxe sets you would think there would be room to provide the original mix along with the new mix. From what I've read it looks like the new stereo mix is the one being used across all formats with the blu-ray adding surround/atmos/hi-res versions, presumably of the new mix.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Jun 2021, 15:51

I don't really care about stereo remixes, the original was good enough then, it's good enough now.
The 5.1 mix on the other hand, is what I'll purchase it for.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 11 Jun 2021, 20:44

der Freiherr wrote:
Tom Waits For No One wrote:

This is what this sort of thing is all about, though, really cool. I only wish that it would blow up in the middle into full Allman Brothers "Mountain Jam" territory for about 10 minutes only to settle back into the song for the beautiful ending. Unfortunately, the third record of ATMP conclusively demonstrates that they just weren't capable of that.

agreed.

kath

Postby kath » 11 Jun 2021, 20:44

Matt Wilson wrote:I don't really care about stereo remixes, the original was good enough then, it's good enough now.
The 5.1 mix on the other hand, is what I'll purchase it for.

agreed, part two.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 11 Jun 2021, 21:28

From the Rolling Stone ad -- er, story:

“In addition to celebrating the album’s 50th anniversary, Dhani Harrison says one of the goals of tweaking the mix is to make the album more sonically friendly to a new generation. ‘We’re not trying to reinvent the wheel,’ he says. ‘But these mixes have to be able to stand up alongside contemporary music and with headphones. The original mixes sound flimsy on a playlist. These mixes will give this album so much more longevity with a younger generation. Now it will be easier to sit down and listen to it. This album now sounds like it was just recorded yesterday.’”
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 11 Jun 2021, 21:40

Either the box is huge or Dhani is a gnome.
Give a shit or be a shit.

kath

Postby kath » 11 Jun 2021, 21:42

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Image

this is a fantastic fucquin pic, i say.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Jun 2021, 21:52

kath

Postby kath » 11 Jun 2021, 22:00

Mike Boom wrote:Image

ohhhh, love.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Jun 2021, 22:23

Muskrat wrote:From the Rolling Stone ad -- er, story:

“In addition to celebrating the album’s 50th anniversary, Dhani Harrison says one of the goals of tweaking the mix is to make the album more sonically friendly to a new generation. ‘We’re not trying to reinvent the wheel,’ he says. ‘But these mixes have to be able to stand up alongside contemporary music and with headphones. The original mixes sound flimsy on a playlist. These mixes will give this album so much more longevity with a younger generation. Now it will be easier to sit down and listen to it. This album now sounds like it was just recorded yesterday.’”

See? That's the thing. This is going to be the version on Spotify and everywhere else forevermore.

I don't know what the thing is going to sound like but what would people say if Cartier-Bresson's estate started colorizing his photos? After all, kids aren't in to black and white, everyone knows that!
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 12 Jun 2021, 07:36

der Freiherr wrote:
The blurb wrote:The new stereo mix replaces the original album mix on every format.

That’s some bullshit, though.

Absolutely.

I would have thought that by now the consensus was to at least hide original mixes on a blu-ray or so. :lol:

As many others here, I'm not particularly interested as the album wasn't important to me in my youth - unlike Pepper, Abbey Road, the White Album or Lennon/POB, where I was easily lured into buying the (more affordable, it must be said) warts-and-all versions.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 12 Jun 2021, 09:57

It struggled to be a half decent double album, let alone a triple. All these re mixes and boxed sets....desperate times

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 09 Aug 2021, 15:29

I've listened to the remix on bluetooth headphones from spotify and it's actually pretty interesting to be able to hear different aspects of the recording that have been buried for 50 years. It also, oddly enough, makes it seem more like a peer of the other first solo Beatle records---it sounds less otherworldy and ethereal and more of its time. With that said it's not going to replace the original for me and I'm still annoyed this will now be the official version for future pressings and issues (until they can milk it further by reissuing the "original" mix). But I'll be very happy to have it when my copy arrives.

Here's a reasonably detailed (and somewhat uncritical) tale of the making of the record the first time around.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... -must-pass

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Aug 2021, 20:16

der Freiherr wrote:... (until they can milk it further by reissuing the "original" mix).

Yeah, that's gonna happen.

der Freiherr wrote:Here's a reasonably detailed (and somewhat uncritical) tale of the making of the record the first time around.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... -must-pass

Thanks, I enjoyed that.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 09 Aug 2021, 21:53

I obtained the mp3, its my favourite album and its not cheap and the snippets id heard were a bit "meh."

Gave the album a listen, the remix/remaster, whatever it is. Really struggle to enjoy it. The vocals too dry, echo removed and the vocals too up front, way up front. It doesnt really work for me. So for the basic 2cd reissue its a no from me.

The extra i'll be listening to over the coming days,

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 10 Aug 2021, 12:06

kath wrote:
Tom Waits For No One wrote:Image

this is a fantastic fucquin pic, i say.

Grave robbing little cunt.
You don't like me...do you?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 10 Aug 2021, 12:14

:lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 16 Aug 2021, 09:17

My eight LP box arrived in Japan today, finally. It would have been nice for them to include a download card in the box as well. Most of the McCartney ones have done so. If anyone has the MP3s up, please let me know. I'll certainly share anything that I've got.
the Eagles suck.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 16 Nov 2021, 18:53

This thread seems to be mostly pre-release speculation. Anyone else picked it up, had more time to form opinions etc?

Return to “Yakety Yak”