Mike Oldfield [1973-1975]

Do talk back

Your fave 'then' and your fave 'now' - TWO VOTES- ONE 'THEN' & ONE 'NOW'!

Poll ended at 13 Jun 2021, 19:15

Tubular Bells [then]
25%
Hergest Ridge [then]
No votes
Ommadawn [then]
32%
Tubular Bells [now]
7%
Hergest Ridge [now]
4%
Ommadawn [now]
32%

Total votes: 28

C
Robust

Mike Oldfield [1973-1975]

Postby C » 06 Jun 2021, 19:15

My knowledge of Oldfield's work doesn't really go beyond the first three albums: Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn. I bought them at the time when they were released

I forgot, until yesterday, that they were remixed and remastered in 2010. I think Tubular Bells may have been 2009 but for the sake of this thread I'll call them all 2010.

I vaguely remembered that the varied in the range of 'differences' from the original to the 2010 and again which one, of the 2010 versions, I preferred out of the three.

Ommadawn was always my favourite at the time but is it still now....?

I played the remix of Hergest Ridge again today - probably the first time in a decade and the remix scared me - it sounded so different to how I remembered the original and I didn't like it!

Nay, I didn't

So, what about others:

- What album of the three (only) did you prefer 'at the time/then' - I know we are not all old enough to be at the release time of these albums, but say, when you first heard them twenty or thirty years ago..)

- What album of the three (only) do you prefer 'now' - I know some of us might not have played all of them 'recently' but have a go {please!}
[Note: The 'now' is remix or original]

- What do you think of the [three album] remixes in general.....?

Vote in the poll!

Last edited by C on 13 Jun 2021, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
Rorschach wrote:it [Tubular Bells] is indeed a very terrible thing. I had a nice Dusty Springfield song buzzing round my head before that bugger displaced it.

robertff

Re: Mike Oldfield [1973-1975]

Postby robertff » 06 Jun 2021, 19:41

Never heard the remixes C. the originals were always okay for me. I'm not a great fan of MIke Oldfield's work although I do have a lot of his albums, bought in the times of 'the great vinyl throw away'. I like his music well enough but not well enough to want to buy a remix.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 06 Jun 2021, 20:49

No problems with Oldfield, a talented and imaginative musician.....until his talent and imagination ran out after "Incantations" in 1978.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 06 Jun 2021, 22:43

Ommadawn was one of the first albums I bought with my own money. Loved it then, love it now. I like both versions, the new one has small differences which make for an interesting listen when they pop up.

Ommadawn was his last complete success for me. Incantations is very good but the Hiawatha section is turgid. Half of Platinum is great the rest of is shocking.

I have a soft spot for his awful new age Celtic bollocks album, Voyager. I know its terrible. It was played at a funeral of a friend's mum not long after my own mum had died. The tune Dark Island was one of my Mum's favourite tunes. So it struck a personal chord for me.

Anything else I've heard hasn't done anything for me.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 06 Jun 2021, 23:21

Ommadawn then and now, though Hergest Ridge has grown on me over the years.

Tubular Bells never really appealed to me, though I'm sure it would have been better without the vocals. Couldn't and can't see the point of them, find they detract hugely from the music - referring to the introductions on Pt 1. Also dislike the cavemen section on Pt 2.

Ommadawn is a wonderful album with a great deal more variety and has much more emotional depth.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Jun 2021, 00:28

Tubular Bells and Ommadown are great. Liked them then, still like them now. Well-recorded, progressive, trippy.
Don't really get the 'then' and 'now' thing.
"that 1985 NME list was a huge influence on my listening habits - and I actually feel kind of grateful to them for publishing it. It's no exaggeration to say that (indirectly) it brought me enormous pleasure over many years."
-John Coan

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 07 Jun 2021, 05:35

TB all the way.

At the time my friends all raved about the other records, but not for me.
I liked TB 2 and 3 as well, and haved always liked Crises with the magnificent Moonlight Shadow

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 07 Jun 2021, 08:35

"when you first heard them twenty or thirty years ago"

well, when I first heard Tubular Bells the others was not released, so Im confused ;-)

but, at the time when all three was released my fav was Ommadawn
now, its probably Hergest Ridge, The original 1974 vinyl mix

"Hergest Ridge was remixed in SQ system 4-channel quadraphonic sound by Oldfield in 1976 for the 4-LP set, Boxed. Following the creation of the remix, Oldfield stated that he wished for all future releases of the album to be derived from this new version. All CD releases have a stereo mix derived from the Boxed mix, as do most of the later pressings of LP and cassette. The original 1974 vinyl mix is now available on the 2010 reissue of the album, along with a 2010 remix."
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Jun 2021, 05:41

When I first became familiar with these albums it was definitely TB that made the most immediate impression and I still regard Part 1 as an immaculately made sequence of instrumental sections that blend together exquisitely. It took more time for the other two to work their charms and I did not hear them till several years after but gradually Ommadawn overtook TB as my favourite and remains among my very favourite albums by anyone.

I am not a purist regarding originals vs remixes and I derive great pleasure in hearing variations in albums I know inside out. Hergest Ridge is the one with the most significant changes and as noted by Conny the album was first drastically remixed in 1976 with the removal of many instruments that Oldfield felt were added for the wrong reasons. It was this version I heard first and the one I grew to love so when I first heard the original version it came as quite a shock to hear additional snare drums, vocals and other additions. I enjoy this version too but I can see why Oldfield chose to remix it more to his liking to make it more atmospheric.

The 2010 remix again has some striking changes which initially jarred but I grew to like it the more I became familiar with it. The storm section on side 2 is especially good and really sounds thunderous. It was great that they included the original mix too on this release so all 3 versions are available and I play them all depending on my mood. A pity they never included the Orchestral version though.

The demo versions of all these albums are great too.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Jun 2021, 05:54

slightbreeze wrote:No problems with Oldfield, a talented and imaginative musician.....until his talent and imagination ran out after "Incantations" in 1978.

I rate Incantations nearly as highly as the first 3 including the Hiawatha section which I've always found hypnotic. It's unusual among his long form albums in that the final part (Part 4 in this case) is the strongest.

I agree he fell off a cliff after Incantations with the dreadful Platinum although I quite like live versions of the the side 1 suite. He's a had a few good moments and brief purple patches (Five Miles Out and Crises are decent) but never come close to the magic of that initial run.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 08 Jun 2021, 07:06

I've never knowingly listened to Hergest Ridge or Ommadawn. That's mainly because I had no interest after hearing Tubular Bells rather too much in the early/mid 70s. Every fucker at university had it. (Mind you, they also had Harvest, and I still like that.)
I didn't actually mind it that much at first but seeing it performed live on OGWT finally tipped me over into loathing.
Bugger off.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 08 Jun 2021, 07:40

Aaaaaargh!!!

Now I have Tubular bloody Bells stuck in my head!
Bugger off.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 07:59

Matt Wilson wrote:Don't really get the 'then' and 'now' thing.

Okay.

For example, if you preferred Ommadawn at the time (say 30-40 years ago) then you tick the 'then' box

If you still think it is the best (of the three) now then you tick the 'now' box

However, if Tubular Bells is your fave now then you tick the 'now' box

And all combinations/permuations thereof

The idea was to try and gauge whether folks views/perceptions/love of the albums had changed over the decades in terms of priority.

So far, from the poll data, it appears that Ommadawn was the fave at the time and still is now

Rorschach wrote:it [Tubular Bells] is indeed a very terrible thing. I had a nice Dusty Springfield song buzzing round my head before that bugger displaced it.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 08:04

trans-chigley express wrote: Hergest Ridge is the one with the most significant changes and as noted by Conny the album was first drastically remixed in 1976 with the removal of many instruments that Oldfield felt were added for the wrong reasons.

I wasn't aware of that 1976 mix!

My vinyl was the original, purchased on the day, mix.

No wonder the 2010 version sounded stripped back!

I didn't like it

Thanks for info Ray/Conny

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Jun 2021, 08:28

Rorschach wrote:Aaaaaargh!!!

You say that like it's a bad thing :)

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 08 Jun 2021, 08:58

trans-chigley express wrote:

Depends if your name is Regan MacNeil :twisted:

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 08 Jun 2021, 09:12

slightbreeze wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:

Depends if your name is Regan MacNeil :twisted:

I had to look that up!

And Ray, it is indeed a very terrible thing. I had a nice Dusty Springfield song buzzing round my head before that bugger displaced it.
Bugger off.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Jun 2021, 10:40

I actually read the question as to the remixes that were done on all three albums in the last decade (I liked the originals slightly better, only hate the remixed Hergest Ridge).
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 10:42

Tym - go on - give Ommadawn a listen.

You may be pleasantly surprised

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 08 Jun 2021, 11:21

C wrote:
Tym - go on - give Ommadawn a listen.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Playing it now. It seems pleasant enough and doesn't interfere with working.

Which is nice.
Bugger off.