LL/PSL:Mould/MMC3 - ROCKED!

Do talk back
John aka Josh

Re: LL/PSL: Tues 8th Bob Mould & Fri 11th June Manfred Mann Chapter 3 @ 9pm [UK]

Postby John aka Josh » 08 Jun 2021, 21:44

LMG wrote:
C wrote:"Lonely Afternoon"

I love this track but every time the first two lines irritate me (and I'm certainly not a lyric man - far from it)

But two 'houses' - am I missing something?

Well, the silence in this house
It echoes in this house

It jars with me every time

Sorry!

I have never noticed that.

I now hate this track, and the entire album becomes unbalanced.

Cheers! :x

Didn't notice that.

As Chris said, that's it with this album.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Re: LL/PSL: Tues 8th Bob Mould & Fri 11th June Manfred Mann Chapter 3 @ 9pm [UK]

Postby LMG » 08 Jun 2021, 21:45

John aka Josh wrote:Re 45 mins - the issue of quality control also plays a big part. Not many people can come up with enough good songs for 60 mins, or have the nous to provide enough variety in arrangement/production to sustain interest for that long.

In the late 80s there was pressure to utilise enhanced CD run times, and justify the medium.

There were a lot of double and three-sided albums that would have benefited from a prune.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 21:45

"Dreaming, I Am" - this track always sounds like an amalgam of a couple of tracks on GG's last album Civilian. Certainly not a bad thing

Anybody else hear it?

Rorschach wrote:it [Tubular Bells] is indeed a very terrible thing. I had a nice Dusty Springfield song buzzing round my head before that bugger displaced it.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 08 Jun 2021, 21:46

John aka Josh wrote:
LMG wrote:
C wrote:"Lonely Afternoon"

I love this track but every time the first two lines irritate me (and I'm certainly not a lyric man - far from it)

But two 'houses' - am I missing something?

Well, the silence in this house
It echoes in this house

It jars with me every time

Sorry!

Didn't notice that.

Shall we stop now and have some Uriah Heep?

At least they never got above themselves like this charlatan.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 08 Jun 2021, 21:46

Whichever Way The Wind Blows - this sounds more like what I was expecting. Is this more like Husker Du than the rest of the album?

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 08 Jun 2021, 21:47

C wrote:"Dreaming, I Am" - this track always sounds like an amalgam of a couple of tracks on GG's last album Civilian. Certainly not a bad thing

Anybody else hear it?

Just you, skipper.

And possibly another fan of both artists in an alternate universe somewhere.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 08 Jun 2021, 21:48

LMG wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:
LMG wrote:

Didn't notice that.

Shall we stop now and have some Uriah Heep?

At least they never got above themselves like this charlatan.

Either Heep or Ten Years After.

Need a great version of I'm Going Home to rinse the sound of disappointment from my ears.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 21:50

The album starts with a light delicate track and finishes with a heavy hard track!

Rorschach wrote:it [Tubular Bells] is indeed a very terrible thing. I had a nice Dusty Springfield song buzzing round my head before that bugger displaced it.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 21:50

LMG wrote:
C wrote:"Dreaming, I Am" - this track always sounds like an amalgam of a couple of tracks on GG's last album Civilian. Certainly not a bad thing

Anybody else hear it?

Just you, skipper.

And possibly another fan of both artists in an alternate universe somewhere.

:lol:

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 08 Jun 2021, 21:50

John aka Josh wrote:Whichever Way The Wind Blows - this sounds more like what I was expecting. Is this more like Husker Du than the rest of the album?

I don't think so - have a listen to them on youtube.

They were hard and fast. Big smudgy choruses.

This sounds like listening to the neighbours fight and feeling ill wondering whether to phone the police.

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 08 Jun 2021, 21:51

C wrote:The album starts with a light delicate track and finishes with a heavy hard track!

'tis a foot tapper!

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 21:51

John aka Josh wrote: Is this more like Husker Du than the rest of the album?

This is typical Husker Du!

But even they had light and shade too!

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 21:52

John aka Josh wrote:
C wrote:The album starts with a light delicate track and finishes with a heavy hard track!

'tis a foot tapper!

I love the closing track

oooof!

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 08 Jun 2021, 21:53

I LOVE songs that fade/wind down like this!

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 21:54

Husker Du made some great albums. I don't know what Chris thinks but Flip Your Wig might be a good place to start and work forwards and backwards from there.

It's not all screaming - trust me JJ

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 08 Jun 2021, 21:54

My ears have been opened - good album!

Think I'll play it again before trying some Husker Du, but my interest has been piqued.

Many thanks for the pick and the company,

To Reap, Loki, Footy and Scally,

*chink*

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 21:55

Ok, a great album in great company

Thanks Chris
Thanks John

I really enjoyed that with friends

To the absent ones

*chink*

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 08 Jun 2021, 21:57

C wrote:Husker Du made some great albums. I don't know what Chris thinks but Flip Your Wig might be a good place to start and work forwards and backwards from there.

It's not all screaming - trust me JJ

Thanks - and I have a deal of trust in your tastes, though Luciano Basso reveals you're not infallible!

Take care.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2021, 21:58

John aka Josh wrote:Thanks - and I have a deal of trust in your tastes, though Luciano Basso reveals you're not infallible!

:D

Good old Luciano!

Take care both

x
Last edited by C on 08 Jun 2021, 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 08 Jun 2021, 21:58

Thanks guys!

Enjoyed very much!

To absent friends.

*chink*
In the village where I grew up
Nothing seems the same
Still you never see the change from day to day
And no-one notices the customs slip away