The Charisma Years 1970-1978 Van Der Graaf Generator

Do talk back
trans-chigley express

Re: The Charisma Years 1970-1978 Van Der Graaf Generator

Postby trans-chigley express » 01 Jun 2021, 05:56

yomptepi wrote:
never/ever wrote:The 32- disc Caravan box next?

When I saw there was to be a Caravan set, I was really pleased. A nice box of the first eight or nine albums and a disc of extra's would be lovely. But what is this nonsense. 32 discs? And nine of them live. Who on earth would pay £275 for it. Madness and a missed opportunity.

I feel the same. I'd buy a set of just the original albums of both bands but I'm not forking out for a massive box set of stuff I'd never listen to. I do love a nice box set but there are limits and it would have to be something pretty special for me to fork out big money.
Tangerine Dream's In Search of Hades and Floyd's Early Years set were the last expensive sets I bought, and they were both well worth the price as they've been played a LOT.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 01 Jun 2021, 18:41

yomptepi wrote:
never/ever wrote:The 32- disc Caravan box next?

When I saw there was to be a Caravan set, I was really pleased. A nice box of the first eight or nine albums and a disc of extra's would be lovely. But what is this nonsense. 32 discs? And nine of them live. Who on earth would pay £275 for it. Madness and a missed opportunity.

I am a big fan of Caravan.

What stopped me in my tracks was the incredible proportion of post-1990 content in that box. Much of the live stuff is from the later versions of the band, and while I own a lot of it, I barely play it. Same goes for the remakes of earlier stuff by later lineups of the band - that's there too.

Plus two of the live discs are from the 2011 tour celebrating In The Land Of Grey And Pink. I was at the show that was recorded - it was one of those sold-at-the-show deals where you got the CD as you left the venue. Shepherd's Bush Empire.

Well, I had a terrific time wailing and screeching along to the old favourites that night, but when I eventually bought the album I could not believe how poor the band's vocals were. Worst official live album ever. Including Kiss and The Stooges.

So that's two CDS accounted for right there. There are reviews from fans over the years stating they wish they had never heard it.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Jun 2021, 22:55

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Image

For a mere £ 90 you will get the 15cd/1dvd box.

The original album plus 14 cd's live from EVERY DATE on that tour.

Madness!

It's every date from the tour that was recorded. Not every date they played. Each gig is over 2 cds. Roughly an extra 7 dates plus the original.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 11 Jun 2021, 06:08

Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Return to “Yakety Yak”