Taken too soon

Do talk back
Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Taken too soon

Postby Rorschach » 31 May 2021, 12:31

Fireplug wrote:I don't particularly like Dock of the Bay and, frankly, prefer Respect, Mr. Pitiful etc. but it was a clear sign of a songwriting talent reaching in new directions, open to new ideas, stretching his creative muscles. He was just 26; the next decade could have been really something special for him. But then again, maybe not. Pickett is a good cautionary tale. I still think there was more left in Redding's creative well though.

I think Dock of the Bay is a masterpiece but I also rate Respect, Mr. Pitiful, Try a Little Tenderness etc. That was why I didn't think of him as being on the verge of some great resurgence, I just thought he was always really good. But I think you're right and now I'm even more pissed off that we didn't hear what he was going to do next.
Bugger off.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 03 Jun 2021, 08:22

Chris Cornell
Zappa
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 03 Jun 2021, 08:32

Fonz wrote:Chris Cornell
Zappa

Do you think either of them was on the verge of something special? Something they hadn't done before?
Bugger off.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 03 Jun 2021, 11:36

Cornell had regrouped with Soundgarden. There was new music in the can...

Zappa started focussing on his ‘Classical’ stuff when he found he was ill. He was still finding his voice there.
Plus, the tech was improving rapidly. Some of his Synclavier stuff sounds a bit sterile, but the improvements
in sampling software/hardware would have been transformative; he was at the cutting-edge of that stuff; it’s hard to imagine he wouldn’t have embraced it further.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 03 Jun 2021, 11:43

Fair enough.
Bugger off.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 03 Jun 2021, 12:35

Bowie probably had an inkling of his impending doom which gave him something to focus on for his last album but even so, I think he had a lot more to offer.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 03 Jun 2021, 14:12

D Boon had so much more to give. His death created a gaping hole and still makes me so sad.
(Jeff Buckley is the main other one I agree with on here so far - so much insatiable talent and just finding his stride)
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 03 Jun 2021, 20:50

Fonz wrote:Cornell had regrouped with Soundgarden. There was new music in the can...

Zappa started focussing on his ‘Classical’ stuff when he found he was ill. He was still finding his voice there.
Plus, the tech was improving rapidly. Some of his Synclavier stuff sounds a bit sterile, but the improvements
in sampling software/hardware would have been transformative; he was at the cutting-edge of that stuff; it’s hard to imagine he wouldn’t have embraced it further.

Fonz agree with both of these.

While I'm not sure what Cornell would have come up with new either with Soundgarden or solo, he had the depression and demons that always makes for a good song.

Fireplug

Postby Fireplug » 07 Jun 2021, 11:54

I'm going to throw Sam Cooke into the mix here too. Just 33 when he died, immense talent, politically aware, still evolving artistically — we'd have seen some very interesting material from him without a doubt.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 07 Jun 2021, 12:30

That seems fair enough. Sounds like he was a right arsehole though.
Bugger off.

Return to “Yakety Yak”