You might have heard this before: Jethro Tull

Do talk back
mudshark

You might have heard this before: Jethro Tull

Postby mudshark » 08 May 2021, 23:35

I joined Mojo4Music playground way back when. I am a Doyen, I was told, but I don't know what that means. And I don't think I care because I never bothered to look up the meaning. The very first thread I started was about Jethro Tull (hereinafter called JT). It was simple: what is that band about? This got back into my mind after watching 2 documentaries about the band and its music. It may be Alzeimer, alcohol or just a bad memory, but I don't remember how the, undoubtedly entertaining, discussion panned out. So, I still don't know. Started as a blues band with a flute, got very folky for 2 albums, then hit the prog train (my favourite ever JT album is A Passion Play, also for sentimental reasons), but after War Child it's been nothing but rubbish. Minstrel in the Gallery: yikes!. Crest of a Knave: barf. A: WTF??!!??. Why have they not stayed a fringe band like Fairport Convention, Man or Caravan? The band, or its lead singer, became a superstar! Is it just on account of the songs Aqualung and Locomotive Breath? That people go to their concerts and just wait for those 2 songs while suffering through Living In the Past and Life's a Long Song?? Is it because Ian Anderson, with all his arrogance and hoity-toity crap, is an amazing frontman? I don't know. As mentioned, I love A Passion Play, and Living In The Past is one of the best 'best of' albums I know. But this band of scoundrels is not worth superstarshipdom. Not even close, in my book. So: why, for God's sakes, why?

PS Ian Anderson is a right cunt. Nothing to do with his music. Met him, dined with him (many years ago). He's arrogant, condescending, arrogant, financially-orientated, arrogant, and of course an amazing conservationist. Maybe a tad arrogant, though.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Tom Waits For No One

Re: You might have heard this before: Jethro Tull

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 08 May 2021, 23:49

mudshark wrote:Met him, dined with him (many years ago).

What did you, and indeed, he have ?
Give a shit or be a shit.

mudshark

Postby mudshark » 08 May 2021, 23:58

It was in Kuala Lumpur. It was late 90's. My company sponsored the event. Chinese restaurant. I imagine: fish, prawn, fish-eye curry, buddha-jump-over-the wall soup, Honeydew sago for desert. No pork for sure,
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 09 May 2021, 08:37

mudshark wrote:PS Ian Anderson is a right cunt. Nothing to do with his music. He's arrogant, condescending, arrogant, financially-orientated, arrogant, and of course an amazing conservationist. Maybe a tad arrogant, though.

You just described Paul Rodgers. Free remains my all time favourite band and Rodgers still is the greatest singer but, oh boy, he's all of the above.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 May 2021, 11:30

Living in the Past is ruined by the live side - whatever were they thinking?

A Passion Play is indeed a corker of an album

Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses, The Broadsword & The Beast - rubbish? I think not

Many would disagree with your view on Minstrel in the Gallery Erik!

Anyway, nice post, nice story and nice subjective views

As my old grandmother used to say: it wouldn't be for us all to be the same....

:lol:
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 May 2021, 17:03

C wrote:Living in the Past is ruined by the live side - whatever were they thinking?

A Passion Play is indeed a corker of an album

Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses, The Broadsword & The Beast - rubbish? I think not

Many would disagree with your view on Minstrel in the Gallery Erik!

Anyway, nice post, nice story and nice subjective views

As my old grandmother used to say: it wouldn't be for us all to be the same....

:lol:

Yes to all of the above.

Arrogance in rock stars is unfortunately par for the course. Trust the art, not the artist, and all that...

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 09 May 2021, 19:14

C wrote:Living in the Past is ruined by the live side - whatever were they thinking?

I absolutely love it. Especially now that you can get the rest of the concert and it puts By Kind Permission Of and Dharma for One in the right perspective. I love John Evan's piano.

C
Robust

Postby C » 09 May 2021, 19:17

Mike Boom wrote:I love John Evan's piano.

I agree. So do I.

But to my ears the aforementioned track is a bit rambling and somewhat of a dog's breakfast

I saw him perform it live. A little tedious

What did my old grandmother say again.....?

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 09 May 2021, 19:52

C wrote:
Mike Boom wrote:I love John Evan's piano.

I agree. So do I.

But to my ears the aforementioned track is a bit rambling and somewhat of a dog's breakfast

I saw him perform it live. A little tedious

What did my old grandmother say again.....?

Well yeah its a piano solo and a drum solo, but I always found it kinda cool because it was the first live Tull I had heard.

Return to “Yakety Yak”