What do you do with your vinyl doubles?

Do talk back
Quaco
F R double E

Re: What do you do with your vinyl doubles?

Postby Quaco » 20 May 2021, 16:51

I go with the Marie Kondo maxim of "Does it bring me joy?" It's quite easy to just be honest with yourself, look at an album, and say "Do I really feel good looking at this?" The answers take care of themselves. There's no rhyme or reason, and some things appeal and some things just don't, so get rid of them. I have five copies of Mr. Fantasy, three copies of More, three copies of Wonderwall Music, my old copy of Black Sabbath as well as the two-LP reissue—all for different reasons, different pressings/covers, vinyl quality—and I like them all. These are exceptions though. Most things I only have one of.

I comb through my collection now and then and take out things that don't inspire me (come on, I never want to listen to the first Bad Company album, even though I'm sure it's good and their best, there's just no reason or time any more) and take note of things that really should be replaced because of damage (a number of album suffered water damage some years ago, so I've been replacing them when I see good copies of those albums) or wanting the complete cover when I just had the cheapo one (the non-gatefold Pawn Hearts with no lyric sheet is just kind of depressing).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

50 Shades Of Blue

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 20 May 2021, 18:46

Quaco wrote:I go with the Marie Kondo maxim of "Does it bring me joy?" It's quite easy to just be honest with yourself, look at an album, and say "Do I really feel good looking at this?" The answers take care of themselves. There's no rhyme or reason, and some things appeal and some things just don't, so get rid of them. I have five copies of Mr. Fantasy, three copies of More, three copies of Wonderwall Music, my old copy of Black Sabbath as well as the two-LP reissue—all for different reasons, different pressings/covers, vinyl quality—and I like them all. These are exceptions though. Most things I only have one of.

I comb through my collection now and then and take out things that don't inspire me (come on, I never want to listen to the first Bad Company album, even though I'm sure it's good and their best, there's just no reason or time any more) and take note of things that really should be replaced because of damage (a number of album suffered water damage some years ago, so I've been replacing them when I see good copies of those albums) or wanting the complete cover when I just had the cheapo one (the non-gatefold Pawn Hearts with no lyric sheet is just kind of depressing).

The last sentence must ring true with the remaining posters on this site. Such issues annoy every time you come across them.
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 21 May 2021, 14:51

I have very few vinyl doubles. I haven’t been buying vinyl reissues. I do have three or four copies of the first Pavlov’s Dog album on vinyl, but they are all in different sleeves, so I don’t count them as duplicates. I have dozens of albums on both vinyl and CD; the CDs are for playing in the car or convenience if I want to skip tracks.
[indistinct chatter]