Status Quo

Do talk back
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65611
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Status Quo

Postby C » 03 May 2021, 23:34

I have from Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon onwards for about 7 albums plus the live one.

I'm not great fan but every album has a handful corkers.

I put an album on occasionally and enjoy it.

Their best album? I'm not sure

Any good? Yes, reasonably.

Views....?

Maybe





.
Matt Wilson wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:So what do you do to supplement your school teacher salary

I pole dance at the local titty bar.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 18765
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: Status Quo

Postby pcqgod » 04 May 2021, 04:12

I like their bad psychedelia better than their bad boogie rock.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 28288
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Status Quo

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 May 2021, 04:18

One of the first bands that I bought on vinyl, back in 74-75, I think. It was their then current album, "On the Level", which to me is their best album. Quo are very simple meat and potatoes rock, boogie rock with good tunes. Every album has something of value, even their Beach Boys collaboration, which I was against at the time, thinking it would somehow devalue the Beach Boys.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 18847
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Status Quo

Postby trans-chigley express » 04 May 2021, 05:24

I have a lot of time for most of their 70s output and as C says, there's a handful of corkers on every album. What really sets them apart from other bands of that ilk is their ear for a good hook. It's why they had so many hits and their 12 Gold Bars singles comp is all killer.

It's hard to pinpoint a best album as I think there is a bit of filler on all of them but "Quo" does strike me as probably their most consistent. Alan Lancaster's strong presence on that album helps a lot and gives it a solid and heavier sound.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 3552
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Re: Status Quo

Postby Rorschach » 04 May 2021, 08:15

For me they're a singles band; a great singles band but I'm not interested in investigating their albums.

pcqgod wrote:I like their bad psychedelia better than their bad boogie rock.


I like both but my favourite might be Ice in the Sun.

trans-chigley express wrote:What really sets them apart from other bands of that ilk is their ear for a good hook.


Absolutely agree. This not only sets them apart from other bands in that style but also sets each song apart from the other.
Bugger off.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7446
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Status Quo

Postby robertff » 04 May 2021, 13:48

Quite like a number of the hits but that's about all you need, although I do have quite a few of their 70's albums, bought for a few pence at boot fairs and the like.


Seem to remember Piledriver was quite a reasonable album.



.

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 47623
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Status Quo

Postby The Slider » 04 May 2021, 13:58

Piledriver has three of their four best songs on it, but my favourite album is Rockin All Over the World.
and meanwhile I'm still thinking

User avatar
Good Night Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1028
Joined: 13 Feb 2011, 01:02

Re: Status Quo

Postby Good Night Dallas, Texas » 04 May 2021, 14:40

robertff wrote:Quite like a number of the hits but that's about all you need, although I do have quite a few of their 70's albums, bought for a few pence at boot fairs and the like.


Seem to remember Piledriver was quite a reasonable album.



.


Yeah I've also picked up a few of their 70's LP's for peanuts. Just played Piledriver and it's a fine album. My copy is on the spaceship label but i think the original was on the Vertigo Swirl. Now playing Hello!

User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3863
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: Status Quo

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 04 May 2021, 22:09

Quo from 74 is my favourite. Their heaviest album i'd say, very Alan Lancaster/Rick Parfitt heavy on songwriting, no bad thing. Quite light on Rossi tunes. This from the album is great.


User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3863
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: Status Quo

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 04 May 2021, 22:10

And from Ma Kelly in 1970, love this.


User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 10701
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: Status Quo

Postby slightbreeze » 04 May 2021, 23:43

Haven't got a clue why they were so popular. Perhaps they catered for an audience who found Zeppelin or Sabbath too heavy, but wanted to say they liked rock music

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65611
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Status Quo

Postby C » 27 Sep 2021, 19:03

Maybe worth further discussion in the light of Alan's demise



.
Matt Wilson wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:So what do you do to supplement your school teacher salary

I pole dance at the local titty bar.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 830
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Status Quo

Postby mudshark » 27 Sep 2021, 20:41

I don't know too much about them. Never owned an album or single. What impressed/surprised me was how popular they were in England. Xmas '77 I visited Worcester. I was in a pub where they played Roll Over Lay Down (I think). A bunch of young guys and girls lined up in 2 rows, facing one another and do some sort of communal headbanging. I'd never seen anything like it before.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65611
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Status Quo

Postby C » 27 Sep 2021, 22:04

mudshark wrote:I don't know too much about them. Never owned an album or single. What impressed/surprised me was how popular they were in England. Xmas '77 I visited Worcester. I was in a pub where they played Roll Over Lay Down (I think). A bunch of young guys and girls lined up in 2 rows, facing one another and do some sort of communal headbanging. I'd never seen anything like it before.


Thumbs hooked into trouser waistband



.
Matt Wilson wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:So what do you do to supplement your school teacher salary

I pole dance at the local titty bar.

User avatar
mudshark
Posts: 830
Joined: 25 Jul 2003, 03:51

Re: Status Quo

Postby mudshark » 28 Sep 2021, 00:03

Exactly!! Looked very tribal actually.

Lots of memories flowing back in my head now:
Summer of 77 I took all the money I had (some 200 Dutch guilders) and hitch-hiked my way out of Rotterdam with the intend to visit the Rubens exhibition in Antwerp (1977 was the Rubens year). I got a lift from a British guy who was heading for Oostende to take the ferry to Dover. I thought why the hell not and I went to Dover with him. Managed to make it to a camping near Chrystal Palace. Don't really remember what I did thereafter, but I ended up back in Dover where I met a couple who were folk singers. John and Mary. From Worcester. Can't remember their last name just now. Took the evening ferry to Calais, slept el fresco in front of the local police station and got sandwiches from the gendarmerie in the morning. John & Mary were on their way to Troyes to stay with friends. Of course hitch-hiking in 3's is pretty impossible so we parted ways. They gave me the address in Troyes and off we went. I spent a night in Paris where I blew what little money I had left on Calvados. The last ride on the way to Troyes was from a Dutch couple and her sister in an old Renault 4. I'll never forget that because the thing fell apart when we were close to Troyes. I ended up in the hospital for out-patient treatment. My left arm needed stitching up. Still have the scars. The ladies were fairly OK as well but the guy had to stay for a few days. I still have the tiny newspaper article about the 'autostoppeur Hollandais, somewhere. Anyway, I managed to find my new friends, stayed with a lovely lady with the magical name of Francoise Champagne (one never forgets a name like that) and had a pretty good time. But I was skinned and even amongst hippies there are stingy bastards. So I was asked to leave. Another girl was driving back to Paris the following day. I went with her, spent a night at her parents' house (and got royally high on hash oil). The parents leant me money (I was 16 at the time, that helped. My parents paid them back, I think) for the train and I went back to Holland. All in all I was gone for perhaps 10-12 days. Can't remember exactly. But I'd told my parents I was going to Antwerp for 2-3 days. So they were fairly worried. I'd written them a letter that I was going to stay away a bit longer but that one arrived 3 weeks after I'd returned. They had me reported as a missing person an' all! Anyway, I had exchanged addresses with my British friends and they invited me to Worcester for Xmas. That trip was somewhat less eventful apart from the tribal experience in the pub. And that's my Status Quo story.
There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 65611
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Status Quo

Postby C » 28 Sep 2021, 09:40

mudshark wrote:Exactly!! Looked very tribal actually.

Lots of memories flowing back in my head now:
Summer of 77 I took all the money I had (some 200 Dutch guilders) and hitch-hiked my way out of Rotterdam with the intend to visit the Rubens exhibition in Antwerp (1977 was the Rubens year). I got a lift from a British guy who was heading for Oostende to take the ferry to Dover. I thought why the hell not and I went to Dover with him. Managed to make it to a camping near Chrystal Palace. Don't really remember what I did thereafter, but I ended up back in Dover where I met a couple who were folk singers. John and Mary. From Worcester. Can't remember their last name just now. Took the evening ferry to Calais, slept el fresco in front of the local police station and got sandwiches from the gendarmerie in the morning. John & Mary were on their way to Troyes to stay with friends. Of course hitch-hiking in 3's is pretty impossible so we parted ways. They gave me the address in Troyes and off we went. I spent a night in Paris where I blew what little money I had left on Calvados. The last ride on the way to Troyes was from a Dutch couple and her sister in an old Renault 4. I'll never forget that because the thing fell apart when we were close to Troyes. I ended up in the hospital for out-patient treatment. My left arm needed stitching up. Still have the scars. The ladies were fairly OK as well but the guy had to stay for a few days. I still have the tiny newspaper article about the 'autostoppeur Hollandais, somewhere. Anyway, I managed to find my new friends, stayed with a lovely lady with the magical name of Francoise Champagne (one never forgets a name like that) and had a pretty good time. But I was skinned and even amongst hippies there are stingy bastards. So I was asked to leave. Another girl was driving back to Paris the following day. I went with her, spent a night at her parents' house (and got royally high on hash oil). The parents leant me money (I was 16 at the time, that helped. My parents paid them back, I think) for the train and I went back to Holland. All in all I was gone for perhaps 10-12 days. Can't remember exactly. But I'd told my parents I was going to Antwerp for 2-3 days. So they were fairly worried. I'd written them a letter that I was going to stay away a bit longer but that one arrived 3 weeks after I'd returned. They had me reported as a missing person an' all! Anyway, I had exchanged addresses with my British friends and they invited me to Worcester for Xmas. That trip was somewhat less eventful apart from the tribal experience in the pub. And that's my Status Quo story.


Nice story Erik!

The Wild Side of Life...!




.
Matt Wilson wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:So what do you do to supplement your school teacher salary

I pole dance at the local titty bar.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 7446
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Status Quo

Postby robertff » 28 Sep 2021, 12:23

Got quite a few Quo albums, all bought from boot fairs etc. for small change. Don't often play them, just every now and again and I like them to a certain degree but would never have bought a Quo album new.

I like their singles more than the albums and Piledriver is probably the album I've played more than others, having said that I've hardly played the others at all. Played Quo yesterday only because of the mention here, it was okay, enjoyable enough. Like the heads down boogie stuff but not the ballads.


Certainly like them better than Humble Pie.

Crikey, just realised that I posted on this thread way back in May, sorry about the duplication. At least I'm consistent ;)


.