Mike Skinner's rap project, The Streets

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Mike Skinner's rap project, The Streets

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 May 2021, 14:37

I am enjoying the heck out of Mike Skinner's rap project, The Streets. Four albums in, he just gets better and better. Or maybe it's just me warming to his Cockney raps. Whatever may be the case, it's all here, hooks, raps, and swagger. Mike Skinner actually visited Denmark to record a Danish version of "Everything is Borrowed" with the DR Girls' Choir! Now I am wondering if this Mike Skinner is he of "Baddiel and Skinner" fame. Wiki says no, I got him confused with Frank Skinner. The best thing about The Streets is that I can hear all the lyrics clearly and distinctly. So, if I just pay attention, it can be quite a rewarding listen: "This is my hour, I'm never going to bed / The sky is still black, but begs to be red..." People throw about terms like UK garage and grime to describe The Streets, but to me it's just hiphop. I don't need all those different genre labels to navigate in music.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Mike Skinner's rap project, The Streets

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 01 May 2021, 15:50

I gave up on the Streets after one album. Not for me.

A golden tip: Ghostpoet especially the album Shedding Skin

Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 01 May 2021, 15:52

GoogaMooga wrote: I don't need all those different genre labels to navigate in music.

[/img]

That's strong coming from you. You're a labeller.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 01 May 2021, 22:07

Walk In My Shadow wrote:A golden tip: Ghostpoet especially the album Shedding Skin

I loved the first couple of Ghostpoet albums, they seemed really fresh, inventive and distinctive. But i get the feeling the bloke has just uh.. ahh... uh... uhh... mumble-rapped himself into a cosy narcoleptic corner. To the extent that I was in HMV today for the first time since God knows when, saw an album from last year, and put it back into the racks. Which seems a shame, because he clearly had talent and a paricular vision.

This kinda thing was just stunning:
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 01 May 2021, 22:48

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:A golden tip: Ghostpoet especially the album Shedding Skin

I loved the first couple of Ghostpoet albums, they seemed really fresh, inventive and distinctive. But i get the feeling the bloke has just uh.. ahh... uh... uhh... mumble-rapped himself into a cosy narcoleptic corner. To the extent that I was in HMV today for the first time since God knows when, saw an album from last year, and put it back into the racks. Which seems a shame, because he clearly had talent and a paricular vision.

This kinda thing was just stunning:

I happened to start out with Shedding Skin, then went forward.

Anything after SS is more of a rehash instead of inventive.

modharper
Just a hunk a hunk of burnin' love

Postby modharper » 03 May 2021, 14:41

It’s not rap, and he’s not cockney.
THIS WAY FOR A COWBOY'S BREAKFAST

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 May 2021, 04:24

modharper wrote:It’s not rap, and he’s not cockney.

As I wrote in the o.p., to me it's just hiphop. Rap, hiphop - I don't make any further distinctions, and I don't believe in having too many subgenres. But I did mention grime and UK garage. I stand corrected on the second bit; wiki says he is from Birmingham.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”