Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Re: LL/PSL: May Birthday Bash #1, Steve Friday 7th @ 9pm [UK]

Postby kath » 07 May 2021, 21:20

the atmo vibe is just soooo fantastic

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 07 May 2021, 21:20

LMG wrote:This is what I always tihnk of when I hear the term 'space rock'

It has that vibe - including a hint of the Clangers!

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 May 2021, 21:20

C wrote:
Six String wrote:Stephen, did you see these guys perform live?

Sadly no Les :(

I can't recall seeing them advertised re: a tour. I would certainly have been out for them

You?

No. I was reading utube commemts and someone saw them at the Royal Festival Hall. Another saw them with the Jeff Beck/ Jan Hammer tour. While I saw Beck I didn’t get Go. I was supposed to see Tommy Bolin who unfortunately o.d.’d days before the concert so for a last minute replacement we got a Southern rock band of middling status. :twisted:
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

kath

Postby kath » 07 May 2021, 21:21

LMG wrote:This is what I always tihnk of when I hear the term 'space rock'

i can understand this, forsooth

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 May 2021, 21:21

kath wrote:
C wrote:Listen out for the bell sounding gong!

i. need. me. one.

:lol:

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 07 May 2021, 21:22

This is a concept album, by the way - a concept which NO ONE, including the participants, has ever fully quite grasped:

https://musicaficionado.blog/2018/01/22 ... ashtas-go/

The first Go record is based on some loose narrative that is supposed to tie the songs together. Exactly what that story is escapes me, something to do with polarity between birth and death, reality and fantasy, good and evil, the usual. Unclear if the writer of the text, Michael Quartermain, knew exactly what he was after. Steve Winwood recalls: “Mike had the lyrics all prepared in poetry form and that’s not always the easiest way of writing a song, so some things I took straight, while other things I mutilated to suit the shape of my voice. But, really, it’s all Mike’s writing; the basic idea behind the meaning of the lyrics is his. Stomu talked the play concept over with Mike, and then he came through with the lyrics.” Even more confusing is the fact that the plot starts with side two of the LP and continues to side one. Makes sense so far? The ordering was remedied in the live setting and the Go Live From Paris album is essentially the same material as the studio album with the sides flipped. From a purely musical perspective this sounds right to me.

kath

Postby kath » 07 May 2021, 21:23

Six String wrote:
C wrote:

I can't recall seeing them advertised re: a tour. I would certainly have been out for them

You?

No. I was reading utube commemts and someone saw them at the Royal Festival Hall. Another saw them with the Jeff Beck/ Jan Hammer tour. While I saw Beck I didn’t get Go. I was supposed to see Tommy Bolin who unfortunately o.d.’d days before the concert so for a last minute replacement we got a Southern rock band of middling status. :twisted:

if you are implicitly criticizing a dear friend of mine, you'll only make me drink more. be forewarned, les.

you'll hafta come over here, fix my starter, and unload my congas.

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 May 2021, 21:23

Six String wrote:
C wrote:

You?

I saw what you did there Les!

Thanks - interesting

I saw Bolin in Purple - he was sadly in a bad state that night

GG blew them off the stage

kath

Postby kath » 07 May 2021, 21:24

LMG wrote:This is a concept album, by the way - a concept which NO ONE, including the participants, has ever fully quite grasped:

The first Go record is based on some loose narrative that is supposed to tie the songs together. Exactly what that story is escapes me, something to do with polarity between birth and death, reality and fantasy, good and evil, the usual. Unclear if the writer of the text, Michael Quartermain, knew exactly what he was after. Steve Winwood recalls: “Mike had the lyrics all prepared in poetry form and that’s not always the easiest way of writing a song, so some things I took straight, while other things I mutilated to suit the shape of my voice. But, really, it’s all Mike’s writing; the basic idea behind the meaning of the lyrics is his. Stomu talked the play concept over with Mike, and then he came through with the lyrics.” Even more confusing is the fact that the plot starts with side two of the LP and continues to side one. Makes sense so far? The ordering was remedied in the live setting and the Go Live From Paris album is essentially the same material as the studio album with the sides flipped. From a purely musical perspective this sounds right to me.

mwhahaha. it's kinda like... ALL the concepts.

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 May 2021, 21:25

kath wrote:
Six String wrote:
C wrote:

You?

if you are implicitly criticizing a dear friend of mine, you'll only make me drink more. be forewarned, les.

:D

It was sad to see though kath

A great guitarist though

kath

Postby kath » 07 May 2021, 21:26

C wrote:
Six String wrote:
C wrote:

You?

Thanks - interesting

you've told that bolin story, i recall, and it is such a damn shame. reap loved tommy. but, well... a bad state is a bad state.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 May 2021, 21:27

kath wrote:
Six String wrote:
C wrote:

You?

Nothing bad about Southern rock in general, just this band (which I can’t recall at the moment) and the mixing with Beck and Hammer. They didn’t exactly set the mood. Ahem….
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 07 May 2021, 21:27

C wrote:
Six String wrote:
C wrote:

You?

Thanks - interesting

Bad times indeeed when fans leave your show saying 'Smoke On The Water and Speed King were well under par tonight - but how about those medieval choruses and the nimble crumhorn work of the opening act? I'm going out to get their latest album tomorrow, Purple bedamned...'

kath

Postby kath » 07 May 2021, 21:28

C wrote:
kath wrote:
Six String wrote:

:D

It was sad to see though kath

A great guitarist though

and a true class act.

he changed the tour so he could play a mile away from my house when the beezle got outta the hospital after her near-fatal fall. he did it for her.

it was a sweet, sweeeet night

C
Robust

Postby C » 07 May 2021, 21:28

I had forgotten Go-Live in Paris came out before Go Too.

The former has Winwood and everybody else Too doesn't have Steve - Jess Roden took his place

This is a stirring passage - great stuff

Paul Buckmaster got about - didn't he?

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 May 2021, 21:29

I was such a Bolin fan too and looking forward to him as much as I was Beck and I am a massive Beck fan.

Disappointment writ large. I still haven’t gotten over it as you can see.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 07 May 2021, 21:29

LMG wrote:This is a concept album, by the way - a concept which NO ONE, including the participants, has ever fully quite grasped:

That's rather interesting, thanks.

I think I've heard some musical thematic links, have been totally unaware of any lyrics.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 07 May 2021, 21:30

C wrote:I had forgotten Go-Live in Paris came out before Go Too.

The former has Winwood and everybody else Too doesn't have Steve - Jess Roden took his place

This is a stirring passage - great stuff

Paul Buckmaster got about - didn't he?

Buckmaster is involved? Only looked at the album cover as seen on YouTube.

kath

Postby kath » 07 May 2021, 21:30

ooooooooooooooof, percussivity! et alia!

Return to “Yakety Yak”