What's happening?!?! - songs and albums from 2021

Do talk back
BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Re: What's happening?!?! - songs and albums from 2021

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 26 Apr 2021, 17:00

Brother Spoon wrote:It reminds me a little bit of one of my favorite records, from a few years ago, 'Blue rider songs' by Scott E. Hirsch, which to me is like JJ Cale in space (https://scott-hirsch.bandcamp.com/album/blue-rider-songs).

Well, I suppose it isn't from 2021, but I can dig this for sure! Thanks.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 26 Apr 2021, 20:07

Dr. Baron wrote:
Brother Spoon wrote:It reminds me a little bit of one of my favorite records, from a few years ago, 'Blue rider songs' by Scott E. Hirsch, which to me is like JJ Cale in space (https://scott-hirsch.bandcamp.com/album/blue-rider-songs).

Well, I suppose it isn't from 2021, but I can dig this for sure! Thanks.

Great, I love that record.

Azita - Glen echo

This sounds absolutely remarkable to me. Like a completely personal way of putting sounds together. I mean, the parts and melodies are familiar, I know this language, but she always plays it different from what I expect and I can't figure out how she does it. I dig it a lot.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 26 Apr 2021, 20:58

New release from the guy who “does” Peter Gabriel in Steve Hackett’s Genesis Revisited tours.

Sounds decent enough (nothing more) on 1st play but I’ve found his albums do take a little time.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 27 Apr 2021, 08:12

At some point it dawned on me that a lot of the indierockers who brightened up my 1990s teenage years, had become 'lifers', choosing music as a career, dealing with the ups and downs of public interest in new product. Most of them didn't become rock 'n' roll millionaires, they're paying the bills. I started paying attention again to new records by some of my teenage faves, I guess as belated appreciation for doing really meaningful things (to me) back then. So if Sebadoh or Juliana Hatfield is doing a new record, I can at least pay it some attention (and pay the artist fairly). Some of it is product, but some of these artists are doing great work, so I'll keep listening.

And here are two examples:
Thurston Moore - Screen time

He may actually be a rock 'n' roll millionaire - possibly.
His last records ('Rock n roll consciousness', 'Spirit counsel', 'By the fire') are amazing, a real return to form after some years in the wilderness post-SY. This new instrumental record is a more modest affair, recorded solo (though some overdubs). Abstract sounds, nothing abrasive or wild, just exploring the non-tuneful possibilities of the guitar. A bit meditative. I'm not claiming any greatness, but it hangs in the air nicely, early morning or late in the evening.

https://thurstonmoore1.bandcamp.com/album/screen-time-2

Guided by voices - Styles we paid for

We know what Robert Pollard does, and I can't keep track of every single record, but it's a comfortable place to drop in once in a while. He's got a pretty stable band configuration going, and they're doing quality craftmanship. There's no surprises, but I dig most of these additions to the songbook. 'Mr child', 'Crash at lake placebo', 'Electronic windows to nowhere' for instance.
I suspect at some point he started using software to automatically generate random song titles.

https://guidedbyvoices.bandcamp.com/album/styles-we-paid-for

ChrisB
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby ChrisB » 27 Apr 2021, 09:04

Lord Rother wrote:New release from the guy who “does” Peter Gabriel in Steve Hackett’s Genesis Revisited tours.

Sounds decent enough (nothing more) on 1st play but I’ve found his albums do take a little time.

The cover looks like something even Marillion would reject

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 27 Apr 2021, 15:10

Anyone tried Fergus McCreadie yet? I only looked at it because Cairn is apparently the highest ranked album so far this year on Mojo.

This is the title song:

It seems pleasant enough and i can imagine playing it while I work (I don't suppose he would consider that to be much of a compliment) but I really don't see why Mojo would rate it so highly (100/100).
This is probably because jazz in any form just passes me by or annoys me. Does this appeal to any of those of you who are more open minded about such things?
Bugger off.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 27 Apr 2021, 20:31

I'm with you. I hadn't heard of it, it's nice, but never really exciting or remarkable. Tasteful.
Modern music journalism is a weird thing, they don't seem to have a clue what they like.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 27 Apr 2021, 20:39

Rorschach wrote:Anyone tried Fergus McCreadie yet?

Sounds like the perfect soundtrack for

Give a shit or be a shit.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 27 Apr 2021, 21:23

Brother Spoon wrote:At some point it dawned on me that a lot of the indierockers who brightened up my 1990s teenage years, had become 'lifers', choosing music as a career, dealing with the ups and downs of public interest in new product.

I think I know what you mean. I love the new Dinosaur jr record, and I enjoy all the albums released in their second wind. It feels comfortable growing old with a band who are still creatively a going concern instead of just touring the hits.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 28 Apr 2021, 06:22

Lael Neale - Acquainted with night
Spartan arrangements of strummed guitar, omnichord and some programmed beats, but some great wayward wandering imagery and minimalist folk songs. If you like these chord progressions (and I like them a lot) you're in luck, cause they go on forever.
I don't know where she can take this template, but for this album it works. You have to want to step into this world, though. There's no halfway meeting here.
https://laelneale.bandcamp.com/album/acquainted-with-night

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 28 Apr 2021, 18:34

Whitney K - Two years
In years to come this will be a cult lo-fi record. A lot of Lou Reed, some country inflections, grooves with the wheels falling off, charm. Songs that you can shout at 'anyone can do that!', so why didn't they?
I dig it. Still, bastard. Should a been me.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 29 Apr 2021, 06:37

Sunburned hand of the man - Pick a day to die

It makes me glad to see a band like this get their moment in the sun. They've unquestionably been doing their own thing for a long time now, counter to any perceived wisdom on how the music industry works.
It's mostly improvised, instrumental freakfolk/rock, mood music. It's hard to isolate individual tracks, it hangs together like a 35 minute mood piece. Nice J Mascis guest spot on the final who really brings the '70s vibe out with a long solo.

It doesn't really blow me away though. It's good, but I haven't really connected to it. I'm curious what other people think of this album.

https://threelobed.bandcamp.com/album/pick-a-day-to-die

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 29 Apr 2021, 20:47

The Peacers - Blexxed rec

Mike Donovan hovers somewhere in the scene surrounding Ty Segall. There's been some great records from that scene these last few years (Untouchable by the Cairo Gang my absolute favorite https://thecairogang.bandcamp.com/album/untouchable - a classic).

I first heard Donovan's 2018 record How To Get Your Record Played In Shops, and I love its sloppy, almost unlistenable, hazy mix. You can't believe there are some real songs in there. That's the lo-fi spirit for me. From a headscratcher it's turned into a favorite.
Now he's back with a band (which existed before the solo albums apparently) and a record which is more of the same, but a little more focused and listenable, a little more streamlined. Though if you hear this one first, I doubt you'd think of this as anywhere near 'streamlined'.
Don't know yet if I'll like it as much, but it's in the same ballpark, and that's fine.

https://peacers.bandcamp.com/album/blexxed-rec

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 29 Apr 2021, 21:30

Very much like the Ryley Walker, Rang Dizzy is a terrific hooky song.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 29 Apr 2021, 22:26

Brother Spoon wrote:

Nice! I like how it opens out.
Great, will hear more.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 29 Apr 2021, 23:44

On the new release front it’s all about Greta Van Fleet for me at the moment. The Battle at Garden’s Gate.

Labelled as a Led Zep tribute act after their 1st album (understandably I suppose) but the 2nd album is a big step up and away from that label - the singer is a meld of Plant (much more evident on the debut), Geddy Lee, Burke Shelley and a bit of Noddy Holder - boy he has some pipes!

Being somewhat derivative it might not be everyone’s cuppa but it sure floats my boat.

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 30 Apr 2021, 16:45

Chris Brokaw - Puritan

Another lifer, Chris Brokaw's got a cv as long as my arm. Trademark knotty, slow guitarrock. It's a lockdown record with peaks and throughs, but overall good stuff.

https://chrisbrokaw12xu.bandcamp.com/album/puritan

Brother Spoon
Billy Crystal

Postby Brother Spoon » 01 May 2021, 06:46

Not a record, but one of my favorite pieces of music this year is this YouTube performance from Jim O'Rourke, which he recorded for the Glasgow Improvisers Orchestra XIII-festival:

(Music starts at 1:25)

A cross between his fingerpicking albums and the drone music you hear on his Bandcamp-releases - in case you're wondering it's a long, slow, almost ambient piece of improvised music based on a guitar that at some point into it doesn't sound anything like a guitar anymore. It sounds lovely to me, and just the chance to see him create a piece of music like that, the performance of it.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 01 May 2021, 10:59

Brother Spoon wrote:
It makes me glad to see [Sunburned Hand of the Man] get their moment in the sun. They've unquestionably been doing their own thing for a long time now, counter to any perceived wisdom on how the music industry works.
It's mostly improvised, instrumental freakfolk/rock, mood music. It's hard to isolate individual tracks, it hangs together like a 35 minute mood piece. Nice J Mascis guest spot on the final who really brings the '70s vibe out with a long solo.

It doesn't really blow me away though. It's good, but I haven't really connected to it. I'm curious what other people think of this album.

https://threelobed.bandcamp.com/album/pick-a-day-to-die

Slow down!
I can't keep up with all the new music you're posting.
How do you find the time to explore all this stuff?

Anyway, I listened to this and, lo-and-behold, I recognised one of the tracks. Turns out Spotify recommended Black Lights to me some weeks ago and I'd liked it well enough to save it to a playlist.

Overall, on first listening I like it quite a lot but, typically, not the track you mentioned. In fact, I thought the solo at the end sounded like second division 60s/70s Brit blues noodling.

Anyway, I shall be putting a couple of tracks into my best of 2021 comp.
Bugger off.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 01 May 2021, 11:22

A good new one from Mogwai.

As The Love Continues.

Return to “Yakety Yak”