Steve Forbert

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Steve Forbert

Postby GoogaMooga » 24 Apr 2021, 17:32

I picked up a Steve Forbert CD cheap, seeing as it was a Bob Irwin job on Legacy. Now, the songs are melodic enough, but they don't really grab me, and Forbert's voice is thin and weak. This is the sort of singer-songwriter album that makes no difference to music whatsoever. Totally harmless fluff, and exceedingly boring.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: Steve Forbert

Postby Lord Rother » 24 Apr 2021, 17:34

I love that album!

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Apr 2021, 17:45

Try his eponymous first album or Little Stevie Orbit, his third. His first in particular I really like a lot.
Last edited by Six String on 25 Apr 2021, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 24 Apr 2021, 17:49

I only remember his 'hit' single. But I forgot the title.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Six String

Postby Six String » 24 Apr 2021, 18:25

I didn’t know he had any hit singles. :) I do remember he got the “new Dylan” tag, the kiss of death for singer/songwriters.
Gone to hell
Back by eight.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 24 Apr 2021, 18:35

Six String wrote:I didn’t know he had any hit singles. :) I do remember he got the “new Dylan” tag, the kiss of death for singer/songwriters.

"Romeo's tune" was a hit in the Low Countries.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 25 Apr 2021, 19:25

You might try investigating an artist, deciding whether you might benefit from inviting their music into your life, and then learning about them further before investing. Seeing as how they have computers and the internet and whatnot now.

As opposed to shopping for 'bargains' and deciding what you think is shit and then telling us all about it.

Just a thought.

[The first tune is 'You Cannot Win If You Do Not Play' from SF's debut played live decades later. Not 'Sweet Jane', although he also does a cover of that VU song. The second is the official video for his cover version of 'Box Of Rain' by the Grateful Dead.]

For this one, either it has happened to you or not, but the song is undeniable in its summary of that particular experience:

"We're a very quiet village, famous around the world for our kippers. These flower pots are just daft and ruin the look of the place."