Julian Cope

Do talk back
Deebank
Resonator

Re: Julian Cope

Postby Deebank » 27 Apr 2021, 12:28

The Prof wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Ask Mrs Prof!!

I don't think we get surprised anymore that musicians and performers we like turn out to be dickheads. Cope's dick-head-omiter probably goes up to 11.
Canceling a gig in York at 6:00 on the day because the lights in the venue were too dark. I mean..... :roll:

I reckon he can be a bit 'mercurial'.
I've mentioned this (nearly was) claim to fame before... a couple of years ago a mate of mine who knows JC phoned me up and asked if I was any good on drums.... I play (after a fashion) guitar and possibly bass and keyboards at a push but I registered my interest anyway (you would) and asked to hear more...

He said JC was putting together an event out on the Marlborough Downs celebrating/commemorating a big civil war battle. He wanted me to hide in a hedge playing one of JCs big anarchist bass drums. I said I'd do it. I was also supposed to play 'Mo Tucker drums' in a Floyd / Love covers band at an evening event! (Not with Cope in the band though I hasten to add).

Fairly late in proceedings (we hadn't actually rehearsed at all yet , but I was never sure than was going to happen anyway) Cope pulled the plug on the outdoor event - he found out the Parliamentarians lost the battle to the royalists and lost interest. He also cancelled the live elements of the festival - now known as the Syd/Arthur Festival (see what he did there?) - and took in online instead :evil:

It is probably just as well. I was starting to have those anxiety dreams/nightmares where you turn up for an exam without having done any work. I have to practise anything to death to get any good at playing it on instruments I can play. Fuck knows how bad I'd have been on drums.

Anyway, Genius is as genius does.

Count me in as a fan of his writings and recordings - one of the greats. I saw him at Glastonbury in his full St Julian pomp and then when I moved to Brighton I found there was a minor indie cult of JC going on in the town. Our club night was called The Sunshine Playroom!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

HotRats

Postby HotRats » 27 Apr 2021, 13:37

Big fan all the way from World Shut Your Mouth to Peggy Suicide. I especially remember 2 consecutive nights in Brixton (I think) where he did 2 largely different sets on the Peggy Suicide tour. If I remember he also called out for requests.

I lost interest after Jehovahkill, and it felt like he did too.

Played PS to death at the time but I'd choose World Shut Your Mouth these day

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Apr 2021, 15:25

Deebank wrote:
The Prof wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Ask Mrs Prof!!

I don't think we get surprised anymore that musicians and performers we like turn out to be dickheads. Cope's dick-head-omiter probably goes up to 11.
Canceling a gig in York at 6:00 on the day because the lights in the venue were too dark. I mean..... :roll:

I've mentioned this (nearly was) claim to fame before... a couple of years ago a mate of mine who knows JC phoned me up and asked if I was any good on drums.... I play (after a fashion) guitar and possibly bass and keyboards at a push but I registered my interest anyway (you would) and asked to hear more...

He said JC was putting together an event out on the Marlborough Downs celebrating/commemorating a big civil war battle. He wanted me to hide in a hedge playing one of JCs big anarchist bass drums. I said I'd do it. I was also supposed to play 'Mo Tucker drums' in a Floyd / Love covers band at an evening event! (Not with Cope in the band though I hasten to add).

Fairly late in proceedings (we hadn't actually rehearsed at all yet , but I was never sure than was going to happen anyway) Cope pulled the plug on the outdoor event - he found out the Parliamentarians lost the battle to the royalists and lost interest. He also cancelled the live elements of the festival - now known as the Syd/Arthur Festival (see what he did there?) - and took in online instead :evil:

It is probably just as well. I was starting to have those anxiety dreams/nightmares where you turn up for an exam without having done any work. I have to practise anything to death to get any good at playing it on instruments I can play. Fuck knows how bad I'd have been on drums.

Count me in as a fan of his writings and recordings - one of the greats. I saw him at Glastonbury in his full St Julian pomp and then when I moved to Brighton I found there was a minor indie cult of JC going on in the town. Our club night was called The Sunshine Playroom!

That is a pretty great story!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Apr 2021, 15:56

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Deebank wrote:
The Prof wrote:

That is a pretty great story!

or non-story... but thanks.

Last time I saw JC live was in the Exeter Phoenix. My mate (Urthona) was support so we were on the guest list which was nice.
My mrs blotted her copybook because she remarked that Cope looked like Matthew Kelly in Nazi drag (he did).

He is still compelling live and although he does get a bit bogged down in some of his more recent stuff there are still plenty of great tunes.
There is however an element of the Billy Connelly / Mike Harding / Jasper Carrot about his act in that (like Billy Bragg too) the bantz in between the tunes is often better than the tunes themselves. As criticisms go, that is a ringing endorsement though.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 30 Apr 2021, 05:25

Count me as a fan too and enjoy all his albums up to Interpreter from 1996 with Fried, St Julian, Peggy Suicide and 20 Mothers as standout albums, but all worth your time. Never heard anything after Interpreter (and he's a released a LOT since then) and never got to see him live either which is a regret.

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 30 Apr 2021, 07:17

I've been listening to bits and bobs the last couple of days and, unsurprisingly to anyone who knows me, I have a pretty orthodox take on him, in that I like the early stuff up to Peggy Suicide best.
On first listen, I prefer his early solo stuff to the Teardrops, mostly because I think his voice improved. I think his singing with the Teardrops sacrifices melody to shouting, as was the style at the time. But in his solo stuff, he seems to care more about the tunes.
Not that that stops him from having a good old shout every now and then.

Darkness_Fish wrote:One of those people I'm glad is there and active, rather than being a particular fan of. I mean, I've got both Teardops' albums, but I don't listen to them regularly, own none of his solo stuff, but he's out there doing his own thing, and that's good by me. I saw him live once doing a solo acoustic set in Manchester, which was really good fun, and I'd definitely watch him again, if the chance arose.

I approve of this message. Whether you love him or not, he's definitely a thread in rock's rich tapestry and I too am glad he's there.
Some years ago, my then girlfriend worked for a company that ran a big jazz band, and jazz events for Barcelona. She was so taken with it all that she took up playing the trumpet (I insisted that she do her practising in the office. I think they insisted she do it in the garage.). Of course, I got dragged to a couple of concerts and I hated them but I still felt glad they were there. They made a bunch of people very happy and it felt that they added something bright and shiny to the city.
You don't have to love something to appreciate the fact that it exists.
Bugger off.