Did UK Punk hit America?

Do talk back
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Did UK Punk hit America?

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Apr 2021, 19:31

GoogaMooga wrote:But hardcore punk was every bit as big in America as it was in the UK. In fact, I think the straight edge movement originated in America.

As did the entire Hardcore movement.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 21 Apr 2021, 21:27

When I was getting into music seriously in the early/mid seventies, we used the term 'punk' (and maybe 'punk rock'; I can't quite remember) to refer to the American garage bands of the mid-sixties. I didn't know much of the music, just read about it, but I remember being a bit annoyed when the term started to be bandied around to refer to new music.
The first person I remember it being applied to was Nils Lofgren (!), around the time of 'Cry Tough', or maybe a bit before. Then it was the CBGB bands and then the UK shower. Obviously, the label didn't stick to Nils Lofgren but they really shouldn't have used the same term for the American and British scenes. In fact the label hardly works at all for the American scene, which was much less homogeneous than the British one: Television, Blondie and Ramones were linked by time and location but they were doing very different things.
And while there was cross pollination between the two countries (most of the influence travelling from west to east) I don't think they were too closely related. The Stooges were a big influence of British punk, but so was the pub rock scene and, to an extent, the DIY mentality going back to skiffle.
They were different.

And as a by-the-way, I only think of hardcore as an American thing. If it made an impact in the UK, in terms of producing bands, I was completely unaware of it.
Bugger off.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Apr 2021, 10:39

The Prof wrote:Depends on what you mean by big numbers. You'd probably have to wait 4 or 5 years for U2 to ride on the punk coat tails for sizable gigs and sales.

I reckon if you're going to mention U2, then The Police broke the US on punk coat tails, using punk tactics and venues, first.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 22 Apr 2021, 13:31

Fair point. I forgot about them.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 May 2021, 23:21

GoogaMooga wrote:But hardcore punk was every bit as big in America as it was in the UK. In fact, I think the straight edge movement originated in America.

yeah but that was WAY later.
the only people I knew who listened to UK punk in The Southland were smart, cute girls.
by the time hardcore etc.. came around it was pretty old news but for a while you could only hear that stuff at smart, cute girls houses or on their college radio shows.
Last edited by Sneelock on 11 May 2021, 00:32, edited 1 time in total.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 May 2021, 23:22

oh, and KROQ.
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “Yakety Yak”